ForumsThe TavernIs crying a sign of weakness?

87 15763
deathopper
deathopper
1,564 posts
Nomad

(You can skip everything in italic if you want to save some time and/or not get bored.)

I ask this question because in my last French exam (I'm French educated) we had a text and some questions. The text was a part of The Iliads when Priam, king of the trojans, begged Achilles, a Greek general and all around bad-***, for the body of his dead son, Hector. The last question of the exam was related to the paragraph in which Achilles and Priam cry together after Priam's heartfelt speech.
When my teacher was distributing the exams, she was irritated by a peculiar girl who had written for that question that the crying of Achilles made him week. The teacher explained to the girl how he wasn't week and etc.

Personally, I think crying isn't a sign of weakness. I consider it as a sign of a person being human. If a person never cried and never had an once of sadness in him then we wouldn't be human; he would be a sort of happy-bot designed to be happy 24/7. That or the person is really dull, boring and doesn't have any emotion what so ever. How could you be happy without sadness to compare it to?

I also think crying never solved anything, well in the long-run anyway. I understand a quick cry-on-the-shoulder to get you're emotions strait, but when you spend all day weeping you end up not doing nothing instead of solving the problem in which you're weeping for and you eventually fell worse.

So do you think crying is a sign of weakness?

• 87 Replies
eddyalex
eddyalex
307 posts
Nomad

Of course it is not it just means you are sad or hurt, if you cry it generally means your braver, been as youve got the guts to express you emotions and the people that say it is don't.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

Well crying really leaves you vunerable, so in that sence it makes you weak, but I don't think crying weakens your character.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

To me no. I cry when I want to, it doesn't indicate strength and weakness to me, unless you define those two by how well you control your emotions. And fundamentally I find that if you seek to control them, you're just scared to succumb and appear weak. Isn't that fear a weakness too?

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

To me no. I cry when I want to, it doesn't indicate strength and weakness to me

Well it makes you weaker at that one moment because you can't see well, can't really control yourself, and your mind dosen't really process as well as if you weren't crying.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Well it makes you weaker at that one moment because you can't see well, can't really control yourself, and your mind dosen't really process as well as if you weren't crying.

Yes, it leads to weakness, but in itself, it is not a sign of being weak willed or anything.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

What a stupid question. It's just a sign of sadness, or inability to cope. I don't know why we cry, but I'm sure I speak for most when I say that if you do cry, afterwards you feel a lot better. Not to mention your eyes get cleaned.

And no, it does not lead to weakness. Cowardice leads to weakness. And is it all that bad? The strong have the capacity to kill. The overtly strong have the capacity to not think of life.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

i think crying is a sign of humanity. if a person can cry he defenitely has a gentle emotional side that can be reached somehow. unfortunately some people like to take advantage of people they know are gentle. in a way it is a sign that will show a weakness because by crying your kind of take down all those walls that are between you and the person who sees you. if he is a good person its ok, but it might be dangerous if its a person who wants to use it.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

What a stupid question. It's just a sign of sadness, or inability to cope.

It can be a sign of happiness to. Tears of joy. Like my mom when our dog escaped from our burning house. She cried of happiness.

And I hate people who call you gay and stuff for crying. And exploiting emotional weak people is a sign of weakness. Because with this advantage they can't get it done.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

Is crying a sign of weakness?

sometimes i cry because i'm tired (very long work day or something) and my eyes get all itchy from staring out the comp screen..
it's not because i'm happy or sad or any emotion at all. it's just tiredness. does that make me weak?

(i guess it is because i wont be fighting so good (reflexes) when i'm that tired. =P )
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

i dont think thats called crying. it has a different word in my language and im almost sure it has another word in english as well. crying is because of physical pain or a strong burst of emotions.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Yes, very well summed up, Blue. I guess that concludes that. Sort of. Maybe. Not.

AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Crying is for sissies >.>
But haha joking! Anyways, crying I would say is natural. Wait, do you mean actually crying, or say someone kicks you in the stomach and of course you have tears in your eyes, but your not actually crying? It's normal to cry though!

Peter20
Peter20
543 posts
Peasant

depends on the situation really if you get a cut or beaten up (unless you get punched in the nose thats a reaction) it shows weakness but if you cry over death or if you did something bad (think its called repenting) its okay cant remember if its ok to cry after a breakup i think its usually not. I think its like always ok for girls to cry as long as the situation is permittable

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

.... i disagree... its always ok to cry... the difference is how other people would react. i cry all the time (because of emotions) and id defenitely cry after a breakup (i think). but i dont cry in public because i learned i shouldnt do that the hard way. now its just an instict. but id be happy if someone would cry in front of me because it would show s/he trusts me enough.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I disagree too against Peter. You're kinda being a bit sexist, and come on, permittable? That's just stupid. "You can cry when permittable"
Tuh. But good point on Blue, the way that people trust you enough to let them cry in front of you.

Showing 46-60 of 87