ForumsThe TavernIs crying a sign of weakness?

87 15760
deathopper
deathopper
1,564 posts
Nomad

(You can skip everything in italic if you want to save some time and/or not get bored.)

I ask this question because in my last French exam (I'm French educated) we had a text and some questions. The text was a part of The Iliads when Priam, king of the trojans, begged Achilles, a Greek general and all around bad-***, for the body of his dead son, Hector. The last question of the exam was related to the paragraph in which Achilles and Priam cry together after Priam's heartfelt speech.
When my teacher was distributing the exams, she was irritated by a peculiar girl who had written for that question that the crying of Achilles made him week. The teacher explained to the girl how he wasn't week and etc.

Personally, I think crying isn't a sign of weakness. I consider it as a sign of a person being human. If a person never cried and never had an once of sadness in him then we wouldn't be human; he would be a sort of happy-bot designed to be happy 24/7. That or the person is really dull, boring and doesn't have any emotion what so ever. How could you be happy without sadness to compare it to?

I also think crying never solved anything, well in the long-run anyway. I understand a quick cry-on-the-shoulder to get you're emotions strait, but when you spend all day weeping you end up not doing nothing instead of solving the problem in which you're weeping for and you eventually fell worse.

So do you think crying is a sign of weakness?

• 87 Replies
crazyape
crazyape
1,606 posts
Peasant

Well, when I get to a certain stress point, I do certain... Strange things, and hope I dno't hurt anyone.

Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

Crying is never a weakness. It is a release of emotions and in certain situations is necessary to maintain sanity.

sirmed2
sirmed2
165 posts
Scribe

Crying = Showing you have sometype of emotion.

If you don't cry You're a emotionless killer. Case closed.

Well, it depends which situation you're in. If it's over a, for example, a death of a friend or family member, you have full right to cry over it.

R3LOAD
R3LOAD
531 posts
Peasant

No, it's not.

When you feel like crying, cry. It helps, a lot. Trust me.

crazyape
crazyape
1,606 posts
Peasant

So you're calling me weak because I control my emotions well?

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

controlling your emotions and not showing them is different. one could be sad but not cry. one can be sad, not show it, and then cry when he is alone. when you dont feel sadness its not controll, its insensitivity. and if someone is afraid of feeling sad then that does make him weak

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

Why? Aren't emotions considered what make humans humans? Without emotion we would all only be organic robots. So why do you consider them all a weakness?

No, I believe logic and reason are what makes humans what we are. I don't see a benefit in any emotion; in fact, they are rather inhibiting, frequently overriding reason. Quite ironically, I've been to the point of tears wishing I could sacrifice all emotion for greater intelligence.

have you seen the movie where all humans take drugs to live without emotions?

emotions are not a sign of weaknes, it is a sign of humanity. if you see a poor man with one leg and one arm, would you give him some money or food so he gets something to eat or would you to go past him, not noticing him?

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

If you don't cry You're a emotionless killer. Case closed

I haven't cried since god knows when. And I'm definitely not an emotionless killer.

I don't think so. Now if you cry excessively, then probably. But I don't see how expressing extreme sadness would make anyone weak.
CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
888 posts
Nomad

No I do not believe it is. I see it as what makes us human and that one might just be going through tough times that they do not think anyone understands.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

No, I believe logic and reason are what makes humans what we are. I don't see a benefit in any emotion; in fact, they are rather inhibiting, frequently overriding reason. Quite ironically, I've been to the point of tears wishing I could sacrifice all emotion for greater intelligence.

I actualy was training myself to not show or have emotion, but when I was about to get rid of it all completly, I thought to myself "But I still wanna laugh", so I gave up on completly shutting out emotion, but I haven't had any extream emotions after I did that so it still kinda worked also I learned how to not show emotion after that.
Showing 76-85 of 87