ForumsThe TavernIs crying a sign of weakness?

87 15764
deathopper
deathopper
1,564 posts
Nomad

(You can skip everything in italic if you want to save some time and/or not get bored.)

I ask this question because in my last French exam (I'm French educated) we had a text and some questions. The text was a part of The Iliads when Priam, king of the trojans, begged Achilles, a Greek general and all around bad-***, for the body of his dead son, Hector. The last question of the exam was related to the paragraph in which Achilles and Priam cry together after Priam's heartfelt speech.
When my teacher was distributing the exams, she was irritated by a peculiar girl who had written for that question that the crying of Achilles made him week. The teacher explained to the girl how he wasn't week and etc.

Personally, I think crying isn't a sign of weakness. I consider it as a sign of a person being human. If a person never cried and never had an once of sadness in him then we wouldn't be human; he would be a sort of happy-bot designed to be happy 24/7. That or the person is really dull, boring and doesn't have any emotion what so ever. How could you be happy without sadness to compare it to?

I also think crying never solved anything, well in the long-run anyway. I understand a quick cry-on-the-shoulder to get you're emotions strait, but when you spend all day weeping you end up not doing nothing instead of solving the problem in which you're weeping for and you eventually fell worse.

So do you think crying is a sign of weakness?

• 87 Replies
Peter20
Peter20
543 posts
Peasant

no im just saying women dont have the constant need to feel tough like most guys do. I mean anyone can cry girls just probaly wont get beanten up for guy on the other hand probaly will

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Oh, well anyway. Not a sign of weakness. It's actually an instinct, but I don't know why. Makes you feel better though.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

no im just saying women dont have the constant need to feel tough like most guys do. I mean anyone can cry girls just probaly wont get beanten up for guy on the other hand probaly will

That's such a massive massive stereotype. Why do you assume guys HAVE to feel and act tough? There's no need for me to demonstrate my alpha male status the whole time.

And I can't tell what your last sentence, it's rather ambiguous.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Ah, there we go. Thanks, Nichodemus. Boys don't always feel that. They're pretty much the same in the mind. It all depends on the fragility of the individual.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Ah, there we go. Thanks, Nichodemus. Boys don't always feel that. They're pretty much the same in the mind. It all depends on the fragility of the individual.

Yep yep. Well actually I guess to a certain extent I'm still held back a little by the guy stereotype, but as I grow older, I realise it's a tad it foolish. Like I didn't cry when my friend passed on just to maintain that image. Which admittedly was extreme and regrettable.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,826 posts
Nomad

humans do cry

JellyBear
JellyBear
229 posts
Nomad

I do not think crying is a sign of weakness. Unless you cry over pointless things, I suppose it is; but everyone has the right to cry over the loss of someone or even tears of happiness.

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

Well technically, crying is just another way the body releases waste and extra sodium from the body. =P But, no it is not a weakness to cry cause NO one will go through life without crying and sometimes it is the best way to grieve.

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

When a human experiences negative emotions, it causes certain toxic chemicals to begin to build up in the brain. Crying is one of the fastest ways to purge these toxins.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

actually, some people go through life without crying (youd be surprised how many). and i feel bad for those people

Epic563
Epic563
166 posts
Nomad

Hm, I guess blind people really cannot cry. And no, it is not a sign of weakness.

deathopper
deathopper
1,564 posts
Nomad

Wow, I can't believe my old threads is still going even after I quit!

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

Crying is a way to express our emotions, so how can that be a weakness?

crazyape
crazyape
1,606 posts
Peasant

Hm, I guess blind people really cannot cry. And no, it is not a sign of weakness.

ON the contrary, the blind DO cry. Just because they cannot see doesn't mean their tear ducts are also non-functional. I have seen a blind person cry before. (don't ask me why I was watching blind people cry)
Crying.... I do a bit of that myself on rare occasion. Just last week, for example, I was so infuriated at someone I was in tears of rage. The weakness depends on the emotion.
merind3
merind3
36 posts
Nomad

Even so crying is a better alternative to violence

Showing 61-75 of 87