ForumsThe TavernThe Red Pill or the Blue Pill?

75 10582
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

This is a very common debate and chances are there has been a thread on this before now. So the question is, which pill would you take? According to wikipedia, the red pill represents the choice of embracing the sometimes painful truth of reality, and the blue pill represents the choice of blissful ignorance of illusion.

Some background, In the movie, the world has been taken over by computers and the computers have put every human in to the Matrix, a virtual prison that people don't realize they are in and that doesn't seem to differ to the world we live in. In the Matrix, Neo (the main character) is told that he is actually imprisoned and has to chose between taking the blue pill and staying in the Matrix, forget he was ever told that he is actually imprisoned in it and to go on with his daily life like nothing has ever happened, or to choose the red pill and he will wake up in the real world having to face the harsh truth of reality.

If i had to chose, i would be the idiot who downed both pills.

Just kidding, I would take the red pill, It's a disturbing feeling knowing that you are choosing to completely ignore what is actually going on because you are to afraid to face it.

• 75 Replies
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

forget he was ever

Knew i would make some mistake. Forgetting he was ever...
Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,482 posts
Shepherd

I'd go red status. Blue sounds all right, but I enjoy knowing harsh truth's about reality. I feel it's better to know things. Ignorance is bliss only when you're not confronted by it, you know?

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

i would take both pills to see what happens to me. just kidding, i would take the red pill. but what would happen if someone take both pills?

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I would take the red pill. this also reminds me of the game amea.

Sheppard007
Sheppard007
237 posts
Nomad

The red pill all the way. People who live in ignorance do not live at all. Reality, while it may be harsh, is also the correct path.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I would take the red pill, most definitely.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Red pill. I would prefer to live in reality, rather than living a lie. Although bliss is tempting, imprisonment is even more frightening.

Squiddicus
Squiddicus
266 posts
Peasant

I'd take the red. I take video games too seriously as it is.

deathopper
deathopper
1,564 posts
Nomad

I would take the blue pill. I would rather live a comfortable and "normal" life than knowing the terrifying truth and having to fight evil robots years after years to even get a sense of comfort. If I choose the red pill I would probably die in battle or from a bad wound rather then dying happy in the Matrix having fulfilled all my hopes and dreams.

Okay, to be honest the only reason I would choose the blue pill is because I already know what would happen, so I'm making a sort of bias choice. I would really choose the red pill because of curiosity.

PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
464 posts
Nomad

Wow I feel like an outcast mainly because I'd choose blue. I hate reality and I always have. Hmm... perhaps I shouldn't have posted this...

WhiskeyedJack
WhiskeyedJack
80 posts
Shepherd

So we know what each pill does individually; I would have to make the choice to down both at the same time. Why travel the path we can see ahead of us? Perhaps one would be able to achieve a status of living both within and outside of the matrix at the same time.

Barring that, I would take the red pill then find some way to plug myself into the matrix externally and spend the majority of my time in it.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A joke I made that is now a 'motto' of sourts for the LD'ers at my school (all four of us...):

Plato: Guys! Guys! I took the Red Pill! Its not real! Its not reeeeeeallll!

I could take the Blue Pill. I've had a perfectly normal life up until now, and the Blue Pill would make it so that continues. The Red Pill, on the other hand, would accept life's curveballs, and show the me the correct reality.

I'd take neither; theres no such thing as this 'alternate reality', or it has yet to be prooven to Science. So really, I'd take both, and hope they cancel out.

Though seriously, Blue Pill. I can't justify taking the Red Pill on pure curiosity. I have to have a substancial reason that prooves that the Red Pill is the better choice, and I have yet to be given one.

Quirinus1
Quirinus1
157 posts
Shepherd

To answer in the matrixesque way of thinking: (and in the philosophical way of Kierkegaard)

The pill I would choose is the one which is chosen by the chemical reactions in my brain which are inevitably conclusion of my past. Since I do not know what my past will be when the time comes to chose between the pills, I cannot accurately say which one I will take.
Also: knowing that the role Neo in the matrix is solely created by the Architect to take away the anomalies (people who do not accept the matrix, yet who do when an illusional form of "choice" is presented), all the "redpill people" are more of a puppet to the machines than the "bluepill people". The Redpills are a tool to make sure the entire matrix works correct.
One cannot know which path lays ahead of the Redpill, but one can know the path of the Bluepill people, and sometimes it is more justifiable to take the bluepill, than to possibly endanger your own kind by taking the redpill.
Dixi.

Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

I would take the red pill. Reality bites. You just have to get over it. However, if I could take both I definitely would, just to see what happens.

One cannot know which path lays ahead of the Redpill, but one can know the path of the Bluepill people, and sometimes it is more justifiable to take the bluepill, than to possibly endanger your own kind by taking the redpill.

All the more reason to take the red pill.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

All the more reason to take the red pill.

If I told you to jump off a cliff, and you couldn't see the ground below, would you still jump?
Showing 1-15 of 75