ForumsThe TavernYour biggest fear?

160 22808
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Bugs? Spiders? Snakes? Flying? Losing? Certain colors? Heights? Crowds? Your pants falling down in public? Death? Fear itself? What are you afraid of and why?

• 160 Replies
darkrai097
darkrai097
858 posts
Nomad

I once saw a Far Side comic strip that defined luposlipaphobia

That's where luposlipaphobia came from. It doesn't exist.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Lupaslipaphobia:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KG-vEMi4dQs/TIOu_SMYeDI/AAAAAAAAAHM/Pv0w_RnOO3Y/s1600/luposlipaphobia.jpg

Anatidaephobia:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTXIq_zeOr__ZCbanrn1YNsCNnfighHCoTsowybBbAIhf5KNiJkA

Because 'The Far Side' was mentioned.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

This thread is about fears, not The Far Side, so I shall list my biggest fear, which happens to be of loud noises, especially thunder.

acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

I don't know why or how, but rubber bands (Lastihophobia). I've always had this fear of them snapping at me, it's just scary to me. Odd isn't it? I tell people that, and they like to aim them at me for a laugh. Not funny though... not at all...

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

How can somebody be physically lonely?

Let's say someone isn't getting enough....physical....attention...

You see where I'm going with this, right?

My greatest fear used to be me dying and nobody caring, but after countless years of loneliness, I've gotten pretty comfortable with the idea.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

My greatest fear used to be me dying and nobody caring, but after countless years of loneliness, I've gotten pretty comfortable with the idea.

Ernie, you know we would care if you died.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Ernie, you know we would care if you died.

I'm confident that you all would, but the real question is, how would you know?
deathopper
deathopper
1,564 posts
Nomad

you probably understand that you can be lonely even though there are many people around you?

I do understand the concept I just never experienced it.

I also have a great fear of elevator. The power can go out in any second in Lebanon and when it does you're stuck in a small dark box.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

I'm confident that you all would, but the real question is, how would you know?

Because, I'm behind you right now...

How many people have that fear? The fear of someone that is standing behind you at this very moment with malevolent intent. How many people were disturbed enough to check after reading that? How many people wanted to, but knew it would be stupid to do so and now their heart rate is building up to higher rates? I am one.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

The power can go out in any second in Lebanon and when it does you're stuck in a small dark box.

If you get stuck in an elevator when the power goes out, at least you don't have to worry about dealing with what could be lurking in the dark in the open world. Think of it more as being safe from all murderers and legos to be stepped on in the dark until the power comes back on.

If the elevator happens to be going down, however, that's when you should probably start worrying.

Because, I'm behind you right now...

You're a large, handsome, Jamaican swimsuit model?

Err...I mean, really? Wow, I'm impressed that you got past that large, handsome, Jamaican swimsuit model taking a nap on my couch.

I mean...you know what, forget it. I didn't say anything I just said.

How many people have that fear?

Not me. I have a large, handsome, Jamai--uhh, I mean, I have a good alarm system and a lot of confidence in the police force.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

I have a good alarm system and a lot of confidence in the police force.

Being out in the country, we don't have that luxury. Our security is a gun and I am less than 10 feet away from a dozen or two security systems.

large, handsome, Jamaican swimsuit model
large, handsome, Jamaican swimsuit model
large, handsome, Jamai

Or that luxury.......
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Being out in the country, we don't have that luxury. Our security is a gun and I am less than 10 feet away from a dozen or two security systems.

That's one advantage to living in an urban area. We have a good-sized police department, no matter how effective it may or may not be, as well as public transportation and large, handsome....skyscrapers.

But, to add to the fear list, you also sometimes have to worry about being shot if you're out alone too late.
deathopper
deathopper
1,564 posts
Nomad

If you get stuck in an elevator when the power goes out, at least you don't have to worry about dealing with what could be lurking in the dark in the open world. Think of it more as being safe from all murderers and legos to be stepped on in the dark until the power comes back on.

Good point, but for some buildings they have a sort of "dark time" were for a certain time of the day (lets say from 9am-1pm) the power goes out for a certain period of time (lets say 4 hours) everyday. So if you're stuck in the elevator in this "dark time" you'll need to wait for a few hours to even see daylight. Sounds fun.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

But, to add to the fear list, you also sometimes have to worry about being shot if you're out alone too late.

I always have that fear when I'm in big cities.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Good point, but for some buildings they have a sort of "dark time" were for a certain time of the day (lets say from 9am-1pm) the power goes out for a certain period of time (lets say 4 hours) everyday.

If these "dark times" occur at the same time every day, isn't it just common sense to avoid using the elevator for those four or so hours?

I always have that fear when I'm in big cities.

What helps me is knowing how few innocent people end up getting shot in big cities. It's generally drug or gang-related when someone gets shot, and most people in urban areas who own a gun and use it for purposes other than self-defense are involved in either a gang or some kind of illegal drug ring. If you aren't involved in either of those things, and you don't look like someone who is, you probably have nothing to worry about when it comes to getting shot in a big city at night.

I'd be more worried about being mugged or kidnapped.
Showing 31-45 of 160