ForumsThe Tavernhow the world will end

74 11396
razinskie
razinskie
120 posts
Nomad

I personaly believe we will die out by mass drought. I belive the world will just dry up. Which would lead to other consequences, famine, wild fires, more then likely war over resources. In the christian bible it says the moon will turn red and the sun black, something similar happens when a large wild fire blankets the sky. just a thought

• 74 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Dry up? Yes, certainly it will. We can even tell roughly when this will happen, in a bit less than 5 billion years when the sun will grow in size before it dies. Temperatures on earth will raise and raise.
Have you read The Time Machine, by H.G. Wells? A very good novel, and it mentions all this, among others.

razinskie
razinskie
120 posts
Nomad

i have read the book and never could tell what it meant, but that makes sense

173 posts
Nomad

I believe the universe is going to lose all energy by dissipation.

crazyape
crazyape
1,606 posts
Peasant

We will probably nuke ourselves into extinction, except for a few who are beamed into spaceships and taken to a space colony, millions of lightyears away from earth. it fits the bible. "True believers" will instantly disappear. People will hide in the ground, or "Bomb shelters" and pray for the earth to swallow them up "Pray for release from the torment of life", implying some kind of horrible pain. There will be giant locusts with lion heads, stinging people with a venom that hurts, but doesn't kill. Probably a nuclear mix of scorpion and something else flying.... And the pain would be them turning undead. The people shall seek death, but find it not. So basically we're talking undead...... There's horse riders with different powers.... There's post-apocalyptic empires..... it all fits in.

razinskie
razinskie
120 posts
Nomad

We will probably nuke ourselves into extinction, except for a few who are beamed into spaceships and taken to a space colony, millions of lightyears away from earth. it fits the bible. "True believers" will instantly disappear. People will hide in the ground, or "Bomb shelters" and pray for the earth to swallow them up "Pray for release from the torment of life", implying some kind of horrible pain. There will be giant locusts with lion heads, stinging people with a venom that hurts, but doesn't kill. Probably a nuclear mix of scorpion and something else flying.... And the pain would be them turning undead. The people shall seek death, but find it not. So basically we're talking undead...... There's horse riders with different powers.... There's post-apocalyptic empires..... it all fits in

The left behind series. I have also read tht, its about the people left behind after the rapture...
Sarthra21
Sarthra21
1,078 posts
Nomad

What I believe will happen is that an Apollo asteroid with dimensions of 2km in diameter will strike the Earth. This will cause massive amounts of debris and crust to go flying into the air, causing many problems such as famine due to lack of sunlight for multiple decades, annihilation of the immediate striking area and mass extinction.
The world won't exactly end though. The world as we know it will. If the Swiss know its coming, they'll hide in their massive bunker system underneath the entire country. This is one of the MANY reasons I have for wanting to move to Switzerland.
Humanity has a chance at surviving such an event, but life would be very different after it happens.

Sarthra21
Sarthra21
1,078 posts
Nomad

More to add to the last post. Apologies for the double:
The 1908 Tunguska event was caused by an asteroid of 50m in diameter, which is 1/4 of the size I listed. It is estimated that there are at least 2000 Apollo asteroids. We have only discovered 240 Apollo asteroids with diameters greater than or equal to 1km. We're overdue for an impact (Tunguska was not an impact. It blew up midair) with an Apollo asteroid. About every 100,000 years Earth gets hit by one.
So in the unlikely event that the world does end in 2012, it will be by asteroid... But the Swiss will live.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,157 posts
Nomad

As it has been said, I think the "world" as we know it will end when the sun goes into its red giant phase, shortly (in an astronomical sense) before it dies. It will get incredibly hot on Earth, and life will become thin or nonexistent.

mrTrippy
mrTrippy
517 posts
Nomad

I don't really care how the world ends it could be by the sun overheating, nuclear holocaust, or a rapture it disentangle really matter.

Zabusy99
Zabusy99
73 posts
Nomad

I don't really care how the world ends

Agreed.

So anyway if it be all above said we just die quick or anyway we die its not like we can survive , only question is : when?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

The asteroid theory makes sense.
I had said before in other threads that the government decided to not inform the public of potential catastrophies. Thisis one such object that wasn't made public until a few months ago. To be within 40000 miles of earth (almost nothing in astronomical terms) is quite worrysome.

GentlemanClam
GentlemanClam
523 posts
Nomad

It'll probably either crash into another planet or get sucked into a black hole. Either way it most likely will happen in about a billion years or so.

darkrai097
darkrai097
858 posts
Nomad

Clam, I have to disagree with you on both accounts. The likelihood of crashing into another planet is maybe one in an octillion (probably less than an octillion, but whatever) since planets generally stay in their own orbit and don't fluctuate very much. Note that I am not talking about asteroid, comets etc. Also, if the sun turned into a black hole right now, we would not be pulled in, since we would be outside of it's range. (Though it would still be really cold... and dark).
I think that the most likely outcomes for the end of the world would be for humans to destroy the planet by their own means, an asteroid to hit us, the sun expanding before it dies, or a gamma ray burst from a nearby star, though admittedly that's rather unlikely.

swagman
swagman
153 posts
Nomad

How can we crash into another planet?Anyway the sun is eventually goin to burn up and the explosion's goin to wipe out earth.But that's just one theory out of a million.Then some people say it'll end in 2012 based on the movie with giant tsnamis and 10.0 earthquakes and stuff like that.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Since 'lanets' have been reclassified more specifically (regular orbiting pattern and other things), a different large interstellar body (such as an asteroid or large commet) hitting the earth is far more likely than a planet.

Showing 1-15 of 74