ForumsThe Tavern[bumping] What Rank Separates Regulars From Elites?

85 12510
PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
464 posts
Nomad

I just became gold knight today and it made me wonder what is that special rank that we look up to? Yes I realize that it doesn't matter what rank you are but what matters is how you help the site and others but isn't there a rank that just seems like it stands out? For example a squire isn't that impressive but a duke is. What I'm mainly asking is what is the rank that separates the average armor gamer from the committed? As for me I see it as a duke.

• 85 Replies
Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

I'll give my perspectives:
Unranked: Uber Noob/ Ghost account
wood serf: noob
silver/ gold serf: getting started
squire: familiar with the site
knight: Recreational user
lord/ lady: Above average, knows the site
duke/ duchess: site veteran
prince(ss): longtime user
King/ Queen: Rulers of AG (under mods and admins)
...And then Firetail Madness, because he has enough AP to be a king at least twice
Membership Hierarchy:
Not a user
user
mod
admin

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I always saw the Lord rank as the turning point. It's closer to the halfway mark when it comes to the ranks, although nowhere near it in terms of AP.

The "turning point" itself is quite broad and blurry. Lord is a pretty good benchmark. I'd say the lower boundary for that "turning point" would be Knight; the upper boundary Lord.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

I don't care what rank people are. I will consider someone elite if they have more forum posts then me. After all, only people that participate actively to the site can be an elite.

Hellsharky
Hellsharky
56 posts
Nomad

Forum posts for me. If you have many I think you are elite :3
Also joining date.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

Elite doesn't mean you are a helpfully person, or that you have a lot of forums posts, or rank, or anything.

For example, Klaushouse and Lige where so elite it hurt, however neither of them where super high up in rank. They where....not "good" members of the community by any stretch of the imagination, however they where "elite" By all definitions.

I don't consider my self elite, even though I am a high ranked user, just because I really am not helpful at all, and do nothing to make my self stand out and be an elite person.

idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

What about the small minority of users out there with dangerously high post counts who never post anything intelligent? Are we--er--they an exception to eliteness?

Meh, as long as it's not exceptionally stupid, it's fine by me.
Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

Now that I think of it though, hackers (Like certain users, whose name I won't mention, that racked up 60,000 AP in under a few days) are in an additional category, but definitely not elite.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

What about the small minority of users out there with dangerously high post counts who never post anything intelligent? Are we--er--they an exception to eliteness?

The people who never post anything intelligent seldom make it to 1000 posts, let alone something as dangerous as 6000.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

It's totally when you become a mod ;D

ArmorGames regulars can just simply mean you go here a lot and have the points to show. To be elite, you have to go beyond the norm, regardless of whether it's healthy or infamy. It's having something not a lot of people can show, for instance having a pile of merits. Not a lot of us can say that we have a good number of merits at this point, but you could say that if you were there when the standards were lesser.

You have to be memorable. What separates you from the rank and file? There is something distinct about you that you can easily identify amongst everyone else, whether it's MageGrayWolf's Evolution Bomb, GhostofMatrix's insane ExitPath skills and Video Game forum retorts, FloydTC's dancing around the border, Knight_34's ten thousand posts, Kirby's allegiance with Antiwhale, my excessive dwarf fetishes, or Strop's heavy activity with AG and real life as a doctor that suggests he either has clones, uses a Harry Potter Time Turner, or both.

Or you can be Elite simply for having green font.

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Oh dear, I guess this means that I'll have to come up with something distinct and/or quirky to separate me from the masses, maybe I should crank up the Britishness a little more... -sits at a table, drinking tea from a dainty little cup with a saucer- SEE?! I'M DIFFERENT! -coughs- sorry... that was terribly unrefined of me.

Anyway - as far as I can understand things it appears that a mix of quality, quantity, frequency and individuality of activity around ArmorGames is what decides who is 'regular' and who is truly 'Elite'.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

maybe I should crank up the Britishness a little more... -sits at a table, drinking tea from a dainty little cup with a saucer- SEE?! I'M DIFFERENT! -coughs- sorry... that was terribly unrefined of me.

Englishness! ENGLISHNESS!

It's totally when you become a mod ;D

Hey, there are plenty of memorable people who aren't mods.

Knight_34's ten thousand posts

Back when I didn't have ten thousand posts (which wasn't long ago actually), I suppose I was known for just being around (or in some cases, everywhere). Strange thing you can be most remembered for being "around".
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Not a lot of us can say that we have a good number of merits at this point

Some of us still have a pretty decent amount of merits, but those of us who do just get overlooked in that field. This current generation of users doesn't seem to care as much about merits as past generations did.

To be honest, I don't really take into consideration that I have 775 points worth of merits. It just isn't something I really think about anymore.
skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

I suppose back in the day I was rather good at getting people banned, though, my methods where caught on to when cormyn rolled about. haha

PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
464 posts
Nomad

To be honest, I don't really take into consideration that I have 775 points worth of merits. It just isn't something I really think about anymore.

At least you have merits. I took a long look through guides about merits, found a game I loved at the time and wrote up a really good game summary. I know it's frowned upon to ask for a merit but i'm posting it here just to ask what makes this not merit worthy? I want to know from my mistakes so here it is ( I did this comment on Hacker VS Hacker).

First of all the greatest thing about this game is that every one of those viruses and defences are real. For the viruses some were rated "Top ten most destructive viruses" such as CIH Chernobyl, Melissa, ILOVEYOU and Blaster. Second It's not often that you have a game that involves creating viruses and protecting from viruses. The game does have a few downsides though. First the character has only a few preset looks. You should be able to modify the hair, shirt and perhaps have different layouts for the whole set instead of only one desk with few colors and switch the PC out for a laptop. This game has such a great concept for a multiplayer game. All in all It's a great start for a sequel. I love this game and I always will.

Well?
vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

It's insanely hard to get a merit these days unless you're just pro at poetry. It's because the game comments are flooded with all those spam comments like "good game", "7/10", etc. they clearly do that for points. And it doesn't help the developer much.

Showing 16-30 of 85