ForumsWEPRWhy do we need war?

154 35481
nitin007
nitin007
85 posts
Peasant

Why can't we just solve everything non-violently?

• 154 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

There is only good and evil. If war is defeating a bad(evil) thing, then it is by default a good thing.

I think there's a difference between accepting war as a tool, and praising it as a good thing. Whatever the situation or reason is.
War is never a 'good' thing, sometimes it's simply a 'necessary evil' (what you call good). And I don't believe in good vs. evil either, those are both subjective notions and it depends on who is to decide what is good and what is evil in a certain situation.
CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

There is only good and evil. If war is defeating a bad(evil) thing, then it is by default a good thing.

I think there's a difference between accepting war as a tool, and praising it as a good thing. Whatever the situation or reason is.
War is never a 'good' thing, sometimes it's simply a 'necessary evil' (what you call good). And I don't believe in good vs. evil either, those are both subjective notions and it depends on who is to decide what is good and what is evil in a certain situation.

Make no mistake, I'm not praising war. I believe that it is the right thing to do in certain situations. It would have been far worse to let Hitler and the Axis powers rampage through the world with their twisted ideology than to face and destroy them. As to good and evil, it is true that there are sometimes necessary evils, but good and evil are never subjective. They are absolutes. Without absolutes, there is no truth; without truth, there can be nothing.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

Also, I'm pretty sure the weapons in the Congo are Russian, not American.

they are handed out by the american army.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

ow and no i can't link a source for those that always wants 1.
ive been in conversation whit 3 guys from congo. they told me that america was helping them in that war by handing out weapons. but it resulted in only more bad things after the 1st crisis was "over".

the russians couldn't give them weapons because america and russia had still this cold war thingy going on and the usa was 1st in congo.

Highfire
Highfire
3,025 posts
Nomad

No, because bad shouldn't be there in the first place, ideally.

Only if that enemy is reasonable, and the vast majority aren't (if they were, they probably wouldn't be enemies.)

Rarely there is a truely good side and a truely bad side. Half the time, both are bad, but one is worse.

I agree. But remember that freedom is never free.

Funny you should say that, only when humans became the dominate species (and even before that) that statement would be true :/

Well, usually it's because they're willing to crush all opposition violently in order to do it (eg. Hitler).

From what I know, he didn't want to fight Britain, and furthermore, he raised Germany into a superpower of the time. He needed land, granted, I in no way agree with what he did but it wasn't entirely without good reason.

Like any tool, war must be used responsibly and never loaned.

I find it disturbing you keep to referring to it so much like a tool, rather than... well, bad.

One side of war is bad, all the time. Either the reasons for it are bad, or the conditions it was brought in with were bad, or the thing one side is fighting is bad.

I'd hate to look like an idiot as I usually do, but this time I'll point out a quote from a Call of Duty Game: "History is written by the victor."

Stands for World War II, it kind of stands for The Hundred Years War and it stands for others as well.
Granted, there's exceptions.

As to good and evil, it is true that there are sometimes necessary evils, but good and evil are never subjective. They are absolutes. Without absolutes, there is no truth; without truth, there can be nothing.

Good and evil things are solved subjectively. You can always say that killing someone is wrong, but food needs to go around and obviously we've a shortage (which is why there is starvation), it is a necessity some people take.

No, I don't believe that, but it's philosophical and thus subjective, unless you can actually PROVE that, it's very difficult to lay down good and evil.

And thus they're not truths.
There isn't nothing though.

- H
bschnauzer7
bschnauzer7
289 posts
Scribe

War exists because sometimes, governments just can't agree on things, or maybe because on government really pissed off another, or just because they feel like a**holes and are capable of rallying the people behind them (Hitler), and so they want to resort to violence and decide who wins by killing people rather than talk out there problems and find a solution that is okay with everyone.

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

The simple reason: solving arguments
The more complex motive: money

bazz1
bazz1
285 posts
Peasant

its just fight for money and power i really dont like it and im a scared of nuclerar fallout we will all just explode

SierraCastaway
SierraCastaway
130 posts
Nomad

Listen, this is MY Quote:
"War does not prove who is right, war prove who is left."

Anyone DISAGREE with my Quote?

partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

that quote can be interpreted in more then 1 way and all of them sound silly to me.

Highfire
Highfire
3,025 posts
Nomad

It's not your quote. It's on Call of Duty 4, and it's a cheesey and kind of insulting quote at that.

this is MY Quote:

Lies.

And yeah, I disagree. Because proving something wouldn't mean you do something about it (war) first.

that quote can be interpreted in more then 1 way and all of them sound silly to me.

This.

- H
grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

It's not your quote. It's just a rip-off of:
"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
- Bertrand Russell
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Please do not claim quotes that are not yours. Doing so again will be looked upon in the same manner as plagiarism and may result in a temporary ban.
nitin007
nitin007
85 posts
Peasant

But it can't always be about money...

grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

But it can't always be about money...

Money, resources, power, land, distraction from internal political problems, religion, differrent ideologies, defending your country... There are many reasons for war.
Showing 46-60 of 154