ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146772
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.

They aren't atheists if they believe in some sort of god.

Anyways, my reasons are as follows.

1) I have never seen anything that would make me believe in some higher power.

2) I have never heard an argument for God that even remotely added up.

3) People withen the same religion never even have the same beliefs.

4) It simply doesn't add up based on what is there (Holy texts)

5) People believe in vampires and zombies too, does that make them real?

6) These religions are from thousands of years ago and people made things up to try and explain how the world worked.

7) It just breeds violence and hatred.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I'm not Atheist, however one of my closest friends is, and he actual excuse is commitment and attachment issues.
At first i thought these were lame excuses until he explained them to me.

To him, anything that asks for total commitment without proof (So like number one) isn't something worth involving yourself in.
& he cannot attach himself to anything really, it takes quite a long time to get close to him, so he can't ever see himself being close to a God if there was one.

MindReaver
MindReaver
36 posts
Nomad

6) These religions are from thousands of years ago and people made things up to try and explain how the world worked.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

well i wouldn't say that it just breeds violence and hatred. It can do other things that arn't terrible.

A good reason to be atheist would be so I could be a scientist and a chistian without someone calling me a hypocrite. Not saying that most people think that way but some do.
MindReaver
MindReaver
36 posts
Nomad

well i wouldn't say that it just breeds violence and hatred. It can do other things that arn't terrible.

Religion has been responsible for almost every major war on Earth.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Religion has been responsible for almost every major war on Earth.

I didn't say that it didn't. I just said that it also does good.
MindReaver
MindReaver
36 posts
Nomad

I didn't say that it didn't. I just said that it also does good.

It makes people feel safe in the fact that God is watching over them, it gives them a sense of security. Thats all I really see for the good that Religion may do.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

1.There is no evidence.

There's no evidence to disprove a god either.

2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.

Any one who believes the book is true, believe that God wrote it, not people. Also, not every religion relies on an ancient text.

3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.

Well why not?
ClockworkAmelia
ClockworkAmelia
54 posts
Farmer

I'm going to skip the more common reasons and go to some that not many people mention, mostly because, let's face it, there are a lot of sour *******s in the atheist community.

1) The world is more beautiful without God.

Everything is so much more amazing when you factor out the magic. To think this universe produced so much all on its own, bit by bit, is fantastic. There was no design, and it stumbled its way into beauty and complexity and self awareness. It wasn't just simply popped into existence by some temperamental omniscient overlord.

2) We are in charge of our own fate.

There's no God at the wheel, leaving us helpless in the face of his desires. Granted, the world has its obstacles, but we are in charge of how we face life and what we choose to do with it. And there are no arbitrary rules to follow, either. Be gay, eat shellfish, whatever!

3) No afterlife.

I look at this as a positive. We can appreciate life more because it is finite. Not to mention, the afterlife kinda sounds like it sucks, punishment or no. Eternal life sounds soooooooo boring. Wouldn't it all get old after a while? Plus that's an eternity with whoever else ends up in your realm. You're going to get on each other's nerves eventually. And it will NEVER STOP. At some point, death becomes a relief.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

There's no evidence to disprove faries either, do you believe in those? Probably not. So why would you believe in something even more magi-fantastical?

Any one who believes the book is true, believe that God wrote it, not people

And anyone who believes that then must admit, at the very least, God is flawed as is his book.

Also, not every religion relies on an ancient text.

True, although I can't think of one off the top of my head that believes in a deity that does not have some sort of "communicator" or written text saying what that God/gods want.
MindReaver
MindReaver
36 posts
Nomad

How do you disprove something that was never proven?
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

You can do it. Mythbusters does it all the time.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Easy, you make a claim like "God is real", and then try to prove the claim to be a lie.
MindReaver
MindReaver
36 posts
Nomad

You can do it. Mythbusters does it all the time.

I'm thinking that trying to prove the existence of god is a little out of the Mythbusters hands.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Easy, you make a claim like "God is real", and then try to prove the claim to be a lie.

Okay do this.

Say, "God, if you're real, please make my computer turn blue, then i'll believe in you forever"

*Nothing happens*

Well, that's that.

Oh wait, that's blasphemy, you can't ask god for anything.

What about Praying?

Don't worry, God is an egomaniac, he likes that. Of course, he still won't answer you.

Why not?

Blasphemer!
Showing 1-15 of 660