ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146841
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I'm thinking that trying to prove the existence of god is a little out of the Mythbusters hands.

I know. I'm just saying that disproving what hasn't been proven is possible.
notinthepie3
notinthepie3
655 posts
Nomad

1.There is no evidence.

Faith. You need to have faith that a God/Gods exists. It just depends on how you see and think of things

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I'm thinking that trying to prove the existence of god is a little out of the Mythbusters hands.

Doesn't mean they can't try, they'll probably fail at proving him, but they will also fail at disproving him.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Doesn't mean they can't try, they'll probably fail at proving him, but they will also fail at disproving him.

No, they'd probably get attacked by some terrorists while making the show.

Faith

The definition of faith is believing in something without having any evidence for it.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Okay do this.

Okay, so you proved God doesn't listen to you, doesn't mean he's not there.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

No, they'd probably get attacked by some terrorists while making the show.

Uh, not really the point in the slightest.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Uh, not really the point in the slightest.

Sure it is.

If someone were to publicy try to disprove God, what do you think the chances are that people would either a, say that they shouldn't be allowed to do so, or b, get attacked by extremists?

I think that's a good reason to be an Atheist as well, because it links back to my point #7, it only breeds violence and hatred.
MindReaver
MindReaver
36 posts
Nomad

Sometimes trying isn't enough.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I think that's a good reason to be an Atheist as well, because it links back to my point #7, it only breeds violence and hatred.

Didn't we say that there are also good things to it.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

If someone were to publicy try to disprove God, what do you think the chances are that people would either a, say that they shouldn't be allowed to do so, or b, get attacked by extremists?

I'm not saying that wouldn't happen, I'm saying it's still not even close to the point.

It's not supposed to, a lot of religions try to breed peace. People getting angry over it is no different then someone getting angry over land. People are always fighting and getting angry, religion is just another medium to convey it.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

[quote]Sometimes trying isn't enough.

I'm not really getting your point, what is enough then?
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

You find all those "good" things elsewhere besides religion too. All religion adds to the world is its own unique view of what's wrong and how that wrong should be dealt with.

People getting angry over it is no different then someone getting angry over land. People are always fighting and getting angry, religion is just another medium to convey it.

50+50=100 50+0=50

It's just another way for people to get mad at each other, it is un-needed.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

People getting angry over it is no different then someone getting angry over land. People are always fighting and getting angry, religion is just another medium to convey it.

Oh wait, I thought of an even better example.

If there's a food factory that has had all of it's product poisoned, should we just ignore it because people die from other things too?
MindReaver
MindReaver
36 posts
Nomad

I'm not really getting your point, what is enough then?

Until you've proven your point.

In this case, just trying will never be enough to persuade anyone to believe anything unless you come up with some form of evidence.
Showing 16-30 of 660