ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146766
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

If they're claiming to be atheist in order to get back at a deity, then they're still theistic because it's impossible to be mad at something you truly don't believe in. That's like being upset at Santa for giving you coal while still believing that Santa put the coal in the stocking.

He is saying like your mom was killed by Christian extremest while going to work at an abortion clinic.

No, religion is responsible. Guns don't kill people, people with guns do kill people. Religion doesn't kill people, people with religion kill people. Good people will do good things and bad people will do bad things without religion, but it takes religion for good people to do bad things.

Religion isn't a tool, it is a drug. It is like morphine or alcohol. When under it's influence, it causes you to do horrible things, effects your thinking ability, and gives you a false sense of happiness temporarily.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Religion isn't a tool, it is a drug. It is like morphine or alcohol.

Debatable, but yes. And I would argue that it is a tool, one that is used to spread ideology and take power for oneself. Religion, can take many forms depending on the context and the individual who wields it.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Religion isn't a tool, it is a drug. It is like morphine or alcohol. When under it's influence, it causes you to do horrible things, effects your thinking ability, and gives you a false sense of happiness temporarily.

No not necessarily. It is a tool.

Religion, can take many forms depending on the context and the individual who wields it.

I agree with this. Having a religion, (especially with religions that are more flexible) will change a person. But necessarily negatively or positively. It will always depend on the person.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Having a religion, (especially with religions that are more flexible) will change a person. But necessarily negatively or positively. It will always depend on the person.

I have to agree with Samy, it's more of a drug than a tool. One which people take advantage of, can overdose on, and try to push onto other people.

It can be used as a tool, but it's still at its base a drug. It changes a persons behavior, mental state, actions and thoughts. If that doesn't classify as a drug I don't know what does.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I have to agree with Samy, it's more of a drug than a tool. One which people take advantage of, can overdose on, and try to push onto other people.

As long as drugs like caffine and weed are thrown in there too, I'm fine with the analogy. Religion isn't all bad.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Religion isn't all bad.

But it's unnecessary and can be detrimental to the self and others.

Religion gives nothing that is not found elsewhere in life. All it does is add its own share of issues to the world that we would be better off without.

At its best, religion doesn't interfere with other people.

We don't see religion at its best very often.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

If we're still using the drug analogy, then people have a right to their drug. Not to force it onto others, or but still a right to have one. So would you be okay with religion if it was treated like a drug? Maybe alcohol?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Personally, I've always considered deism to be at the same "level" of belief, if you would, as atheism and theism.

Deism is a form of theism.

I'm fairly sure atheism is the rejection of the existence of a supernatural power.

It can be but doesn't have to be. In most cases it isn't. For example if you had never heard of even the concept of god, you wouldn't have a belief in god. Thus you would be an atheist, but you haven't rejected the existence of one.
Another common example is hearing that there is a god but not accepting the claim until evidence is presented. Here you haven't actually rejected the existence of one, you've just reserved belief until it can be demonstrated that there is one.

In my opinion, people are atheists because:
1) They weren't brought up with religion and see no reason to become religious
2) They feel that the world is too "bad" for a god to have created
3) They are open to a god, but don't really associate with a specific faith
4) They feel that religion leads to violence (but just like the famous "guns don't kill people" slogan, religion doesn't kill people, extremist followers kill people)
5) They live in a region or country that does not allow religion
6) (In relation to number 5 and possibly 6) Religion has directly or indirectly caused the harm or loss of a loved one and they are bitter at their loss

You left out no evidence supporting the claim. That's a pretty big one.

1) atheism isn't about rejecting religion, it's about lacking belief in a god. Now this can lead to also not believing many religions given the link between the two.
3) again lacking belief in god not lacking religion.
4) A religion is ;"a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices" Unlike guns it affects the way people behave and think. Many times the religion says to do these violent acts, so people doing these violent act is part of the religion.
5) not really aware of any such place. But even if this was so that wouldn't stop the religion being practiced in private.
6) This would seem to contradict point 4 on your list.

Debatable, but yes. And I would argue that it is a tool, one that is used to spread ideology and take power for oneself. Religion, can take many forms depending on the context and the individual who wields it.

However in many cases you're not taking power for yourself but giving it up.

"Religion is the opium of the people" -Karl Marx

If we're still using the drug analogy, then people have a right to their drug. Not to force it onto others, or but still a right to have one. So would you be okay with religion if it was treated like a drug? Maybe alcohol?

I would be okay with religion if not forced on others. You want to believe ridiculous things that's up to you. If you want to talk about those ridiculous things openly, don't expect it to be treated as truth, expect it to be called ridiculous. If you want to force it on others by any means, expect a fight.
Showing 646-653 of 660