ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146844
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

It's just another way for people to get mad at each other, it is un-needed.

Well if the bad that people use it for is added to the total bad of the world, then the good that people use it for is also added to the total good of the world. Then by taking away religon the world would also lose good.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Then by taking away religon the world would also lose good.

Please. What good does religion do. Really, inform me of all that it does, so I can point out just how redundant it really is, and less efficient that other means.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

50+50=100 50+0=50

It's just another way for people to get mad at each other, it is un-needed.

Getting mad isn't it's intended use, it's just another use people have developed from it.

Until you've proven your point.

It's impossible to do the impossible.

In this case, just trying will never be enough to persuade anyone to believe anything unless you come up with some form of evidence.

So people converting willingly will never happen? Huh, I wonder what the Christians could have done to make people like emperor Constantine convert.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Please. What good does religion do. Really, inform me of all that it does, so I can point out just how redundant it really is, and less efficient that other means.

It did introduce new morals, but those probably would have developed eventually anyways. So maybe it just sped up the process of reaching the society we have today (wether that's a good or bad thing).
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Some people won't do bad things, not because they're just illegal, but because they'll feel guilty about not being accepted by God if they do those things. Those other means that are less efficient are laws that are less enforced. Like it's only illegal if you get caught.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Some people won't do bad things, not because they're just illegal, but because they'll feel guilty about not being accepted by God if they do those things. Those other means that are less efficient are laws that are less enforced. Like it's only illegal if you get caught.

Even i will point out that's a two way street, and people won't feel guilty about doing terrible things if they believe God told them to.
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

I found a rather interesting set of questions on RationalWiki:

1. Can you think of an evil act that a man committed because of his religion?
2. Can you think of an evil act committed by an atheist because he is an atheist?
3. Can you think of an evil act that can only be done by a believer in the name of a religion?
4. Can you think of a good deed done by a believer in the name of a religion that couldn't have been done by an unbeliever (and not in the name of a religion)?

Once one answers all these questions it becomes apparent that the good that religion contributes to this world is minimal at best but the evil which it contributes is far greater.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

It did introduce new morals

Specifics. Which new morals did it introduce.

Some people won't do bad things, not because they're just illegal, but because they'll feel guilty about not being accepted by God if they do those things.

Okay maybe, although I have never met anyone like that I have heard of some. Generally that's just how people are raised, their parents would say, "Don't do this because it's wrong and if you do it you'll go to hell" whereas another kid might have it explained as, "Don't do this because it's wrong, because it hurts people and makes no one like you"
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

2. Can you think of an evil act committed by an atheist because he is an atheist?
3. Can you think of an evil act that can only be done by a believer in the name of a religion?
4. Can you think of a good deed done by a believer in the name of a religion that couldn't have been done by an unbeliever (and not in the name of a religion)?

But how does someone do something wrong because of their religon if religon doesn't affect morals. I cannot kill someone with a sane mind. It's not possible. I would compleatly frezze and would die before I killed someone else. This is just how I am. If religon doesn't sffect my morals how can I be made to kill be religon? This is an actual question. Just out of curiosity.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

But how does someone do something wrong because of their religon if religon doesn't affect morals. I cannot kill someone with a sane mind. It's not possible. I would compleatly frezze and would die before I killed someone else. This is just how I am. If religon doesn't sffect my morals how can I be made to kill be religon? This is an actual question. Just out of curiosity.
MindReaver
MindReaver
36 posts
Nomad

Then by taking away religon the world would also lose good.

What little good it may do cannot compare to the bad it brings.

It's impossible to do the impossible.

You're right, its impossible to prove god exists.

So people converting willingly will never happen?

Religious persons were born into the beliefs of their parents, and their parents, and so on stemming from the beginning of Religion. Those who convert were either forced, or they felt they needed some kind of protection in their lives. It doesn't even really mean they hold faith.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

If religon doesn't sffect my morals how can I be made to kill be religon? This is an actual question. Just out of curiosity.

If you truly followed that religion, its morals would be your morals, and you would do whatever the leader (In this case God) commanded of you. The fact that you are not like this shows that you have modified your religion (Or at least what you believe you are supposed to do withen it) to fit yourself, as many, many do. The only "true" followers are the fanatics, because most people have the common sense not to do the horrible things proclaimed in such holy texts as the bible.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I found a rather interesting set of questions on RationalWiki:

Well, evil is a term set by opinion. The evil act the person committed could be seen as something amazing by the person committing the act. For example, terrorist. They think killing innocent people for their religion is a good thing, they're not doing it to be evil. This opinion of "good" still only applies to a small amount of people though. There are a few religions out there that i see who have done tons of evil throughout history, and then there are some who I see as peaceful who haven't really done any bad.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

You're right, its impossible to prove god exists.

It's also impossible to disprove god.

Religious persons were born into the beliefs of their parents, and their parents, and so on stemming from the beginning of Religion. Those who convert were either forced, or they felt they needed some kind of protection in their lives. It doesn't even really mean they hold faith.

So the emperor of a great roman emperor, who wasn't born into a christian family, felt he needed to be protected? I'm fairly certain he felt perfectly fine with his current state of protection.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

If you truly followed that religion, its morals would be your morals, and you would do whatever the leader (In this case God) commanded of you. The fact that you are not like this shows that you have modified your religion (Or at least what you believe you are supposed to do withen it) to fit yourself, as many, many do. The only "true" followers are the fanatics, because most people have the common sense not to do the horrible things proclaimed in such holy texts as the bible.

Well yeah, but in another thread none of my good morals were given to me by my religon. So why would my bad morals be given to me by religon.
Showing 31-45 of 660