ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146840
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

What sore of religion worth following contains parts capable of justifying crimes?

Not quite what I meant. They'll justify their crimes by other means unrelated to religion (like "it wasn't my idea" "it wasn't my fault"...), but will claim to be religious. One of my favorite subtle critiques of two-faced religion was in "The Good, the Bad, And the Ugly" when Tuco sees the dead bodies of soldiers in the crashed carriage: He takes out his cross, crosses his heart ('god rest thier souls' etc.), then loots their pockets.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

But they couldn't have been truly God-fearing if they're willing to steal for their own greed. I mean it's not like they were stealing food due to famine; TVs aren't food.

Avorne already gave America as an example, which was a great point.
One can't generalize that everyone involved in the crimes was athiest, without as suggested, speaking to them all.
They could believe in God, but not obey him.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

One can't generalize that everyone involved in the crimes was athiest, without as suggested, speaking to them all.

They might not all be atheists, but they're not exactly worried about God's wrath either.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Well, looking at the holy books, I'm going to have to say 'All the Abrahamic ones apparently'.

I wouldn't say they were worth following.

Not quite what I meant. They'll justify their crimes by other means unrelated to religion (like "it wasn't my idea" "it wasn't my fault"...), but will claim to be religious.

Then they aren't taking the label to justify their crimes.
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

They might not all be atheists, but they're not exactly worried about God's wrath either.

And even if they were does that make all Atheists crime indulged?
adrian12345876
adrian12345876
14 posts
Nomad

well lets get the obvious out of the way if an atheist says he/she is an atheist because they hate God or w.e. then thats just an oxymoron in itself so that person obviously believes God exists they just don't like him for w.e. reason.

Now I'm not atheist I am a Christian. But the thing is and I've seen it in churches where God's supernatural power dose not flow that people that have serious problems that need that supernatural experience with God they dont get it because most of the time that church (and im talking about christian churches not catholic,catholic is a whole nother ball game) but like i was saying that church has nothing to give by that empty word thus representing God wrong. So who ever that person is dosent get that experience and they think God dosent exist. and if that person is you (whoever is reading this) Believe me God exists and loves you more than you know you just had him presented to you wrong.

LEAPretard
LEAPretard
1,328 posts
Nomad

well lets get the obvious out of the way if an atheist says he/she is an atheist because they hate God or w.e. then thats just an oxymoron in itself so that person obviously believes God exists they just don't like him for w.e. reason.

Now I'm not atheist I am a Christian. But the thing is and I've seen it in churches where God's supernatural power dose not flow that people that have serious problems that need that supernatural experience with God they dont get it because most of the time that church (and im talking about christian churches not catholic,catholic is a whole nother ball game) but like i was saying that church has nothing to give by that empty word thus representing God wrong. So who ever that person is dosent get that experience and they think God dosent exist. and if that person is you (whoever is reading this) Believe me God exists and loves you more than you know you just had him presented to you wrong.

Donkey ****.

Ehh? Just my opinion!

Remember kids, I live in the USA and party in the CIA.
adrian12345876
adrian12345876
14 posts
Nomad

Its cool man everybody has there opinion.

grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

(and im talking about christian churches not catholic,catholic is a whole nother ball game)

Catholics are Christians, just sayin'...

Believe me God exists

Nope, I don't believe you.

and loves you more than you know

Well, if you take the Bible or Quran as God's book then I'm pretty sure that he doesn't love me.

you just had him presented to you wrong.

Zeus or Vishnu?
adrian12345876
adrian12345876
14 posts
Nomad

I get what your saying but believe me Catholics are just called christians because they believed christ lived but if you look at the way it is they are totally against what the Bible says. How? well first they have statues of "saints" and things of that sort when it specifically says in the bible you shall not carve images of things in heaven or in the depths so right there is a big one 0.0 . And I use to be catholic so its not like im talking out of what i've not experienced (just saying)

And trust me God does love you man you just don't know it but he does.

and when I said he was presented wrong I dont mean it like Zeus or anything like that I mean the way people try to control your lives when its suppose to be your choice to follow God or not.

grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

I get what your saying but believe me Catholics are just called christians because they believed christ lived

That's the very definition of Christian, a follower of Jesus Christ.

And trust me God does love you man you just don't know it but he does.

I'll say it again: If you believe in the God of the bible, then no. Just read the Old Testament.

I mean the way people try to control your lives when its suppose to be your choice to follow God or not.

And I was asking which God I should follow. There are so many.
adrian12345876
adrian12345876
14 posts
Nomad

That's the very definition of Christian, a follower of Jesus Christ.

Yes but i'm saying they dont follow some of the basic ten commandments.

I'll say it again: If you believe in the God of the bible, then no. Just read the Old Testament.

I dont really understand what you mean by read the old testamnet like what exactly.

[quote]And I was asking which God I should follow. There are so many.

Oh I understand well im pretty sure the best one for you is the one that christians follow (if that makes sense because God's name is well God)
LEAPretard
LEAPretard
1,328 posts
Nomad

Fail at quotes.

God was Useful when we were around the Bronze age. Back then we had no ****ing idea about the Weather, why the sun Rises and sets, where did we come from, why does water flow, why is there thunder, why do people get sick and die, and 501 other things I could list.

All of the above can be explained by Science.

You trust a 2000 year old book for information.

I trust a theory made by a scientist that I can try in my backyard.

When an Athiest offers you a Vaccine to stop the bird flue, you don't say: "No. God will save me." you take the vaccine.

But you try to destroy the parts of science you don't like.

Science is like a skyscraper. If you take out a small piece then it might stand. But if you take out a big fundamental, the skyscraper collapses.

I don't have and objections about The bible, But I prefer to trust a smart man who graduated from MIT then some Lunatics who wrote a book.

Just my 3 cents.

grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

I dont really understand what you mean by read the old testamnet like what exactly.

Do you really want me to quote all those pasasges? Slavery? Death penalty? Story of Job? Genocide ordered by God?
Omnihero10
Omnihero10
2,515 posts
Nomad

My reason... its the only logical Choice...

1 ) so your trying to tell me that that there is a giant white guy in the sky the is a huge a hole cause he lets us kill ourself.

2) AND he made a random women give birth to his kid so that he be killed on a cross... thats an awsome father.
also if god is real how isit that people have different gods?

Showing 61-75 of 660