ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146842
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

killersup guesses that he is atheist? he never really believed in all that religious crap.does that make him atheist? killersup never even before thought about religion intill he heard of atheist and thought"wow,killersup thinks that is him"so can somone explain what a atheist does,is and all that other stuff......

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

killersup guesses that he is atheist? he never really believed in all that religious crap.does that make him atheist? killersup never even before thought about religion intill he heard of atheist and thought"wow,killersup thinks that is him"so can somone explain what a atheist does,is and all that other stuff......

An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in god. You're an atheist.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

can somone explain what a atheist does,is and all that other stuff......

The short answer is simply one that does not hold a positive belief in any deity. There's different types/branches from there, just as there's different types of theists. Atheist doesn't necessarily mean nonreligious. There's buddhism, taoism, jainism, etc.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Basically.

Atheist is just as wide an umbrella term as "theist."

If you believe there is a god or deity or w/e out there, you're a theist.

If you don't have a belief that there is a god or deity or w/e out there, you're an atheist.

Then there's all the classifiers like agnostic, weak/strong, gnostic, etc, that further define exactly what type it is.

THEN there's all the religions that are atheistic. So you could go pretty in depth in terming what someone is.

frodo86
frodo86
474 posts
Shepherd

So, would Shintoism be an atheistic or theistic religion?

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

If they believe there is some sort of higher power, they're theistic. If not, atheistic.

It's that simple.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

So, would Shintoism be an atheistic or theistic religion?

From what I researched in 5 minutes, it's theistic. More specifically polytheistic, as the creation story lists multiple gods.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

wo,atheist is really....complicated.....it seems almost as complicated as theistismestness(yeah,don't care how that was spelled)

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

wo,atheist is really....complicated.....it seems almost as complicated as theistismestness(yeah,don't care how that was spelled)

Not really.

Do you believe in a god? Y/N

Yes: Your not an atheist.
No: Your an atheist.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

If they believe there is some sort of higher power, they're theistic. If not, atheistic.

Personally, I've always considered deism to be at the same "level" of belief, if you would, as atheism and theism. An atheist rejects the notion that a supernatural power exists, a theist accepts the notion and asserts that it is a specific and known deity, while a deist accepts the notion of a supernatural power but rejects the idea that it is a "known" god.

Although I could very well be completely wrong here.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

An atheist rejects the notion that a supernatural power exists

It's not necessarily rejecting, just not holding a positive belief. It's like being neutral during a war, but of course there's the leaders that say things like "Either you are with us or you are with the terrorists". However, according to the bible, Jesus said "Whoever is not against us is for us" (Mark 9:40).
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

It's not necessarily rejecting, just not holding a positive belief.

It depends, a strong atheist actively rejects the notion that a god exists while a weak does not. In its most basic form, though, I'm fairly sure atheism is the rejection of the existence of a supernatural power.
Joe96
Joe96
2,227 posts
Peasant

In my opinion, people are atheists because:
1) They weren't brought up with religion and see no reason to become religious
2) They feel that the world is too "bad" for a god to have created
3) They are open to a god, but don't really associate with a specific faith
4) They feel that religion leads to violence (but just like the famous "guns don't kill people" slogan, religion doesn't kill people, extremist followers kill people)
5) They live in a region or country that does not allow religion
6) (In relation to number 5 and possibly 6) Religion has directly or indirectly caused the harm or loss of a loved one and they are bitter at their loss

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

6) Religion has directly or indirectly caused the harm or loss of a loved one and they are bitter at their loss

If they're claiming to be atheist in order to get back at a deity, then they're still theistic because it's impossible to be mad at something you truly don't believe in. That's like being upset at Santa for giving you coal while still believing that Santa put the coal in the stocking.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

4) They feel that religion leads to violence (but just like the famous "guns don't kill people" slogan, religion doesn't kill people, extremist followers kill people)

No, religion is responsible. Guns don't kill people, people with guns do kill people. Religion doesn't kill people, people with religion kill people. Good people will do good things and bad people will do bad things without religion, but it takes religion for good people to do bad things.

I left Christianity for a few reasons. Mainly, I stopped feeling God, or, I realized that what I thought was God was just emotional reaction. Through research and meditation I came to the conclusion that the Judeo-Christian god does not exist, and that, if it does, it is not worthy or worship.
Showing 631-645 of 660