ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146838
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
TheAtheist
TheAtheist
132 posts
Peasant

Oh and the guy on YouTube shut up and tries to distract the conversation to something else so that more or less tells me where I'm at with his idiot. Thanks Kasic and Magewolf and anyone else I might have forgot to mention.

Levine
Levine
44 posts
Nomad

Reason Numero One.... Because Atheism wouldn't cause wars

44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

Reason Numero One.... Because Atheism wouldn't cause wars

How would Atheism not cause wars. Not all wars are started because of religion. There are many reasons like if someon want your land they are going to go to war to take it.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

How would Atheism not cause wars. Not all wars are started because of religion. There are many reasons like if someon want your land they are going to go to war to take it.

Same way as someones lack of belief in leprechauns wouldn't cause a war. Yes that person who doesn't believe leprechauns are real could cause a war, but not because of his lack of belief in leprechauns.
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

Same way as someones lack of belief in leprechauns wouldn't cause a war. Yes that person who doesn't believe leprechauns are real could cause a war, but not because of his lack of belief in leprechauns.

Sorry but what were you trying to proof with my quote?
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

What he's saying is that an Atheist would not go to war arguing over who's god is the true god.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

What he's saying is that an Atheist would not go to war arguing over who's god is the true god.

But if you're so unstable that you would allow others to die just because you feel that your religion is the right one, weren't you very unstable to begin with? A kind of person like that would've started a war anyway. What do you think?
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

But if you're so unstable that you would allow others to die just because you feel that your religion is the right one, weren't you very unstable to begin with? A kind of person like that would've started a war anyway. What do you think?

Perhaps, perhaps not. Religion is something that can cause even people who are commonly rational and peaceful to be belligerent in defense of it. When either side is constantly shouting, "You are a bunch of heathenistic worshipers of a false god, and our god is the only god and you shall all be condemned to eternal punishment for you blasphemous actions, etc etc." then the other side may be provoked.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Sure they could start a war simply for land or power out of personal greed, but it's almost worse when they truly believe God's helping them do it because they're more motivated to 'reclaim the holy land' or 'rid the world of satan's spawn'. The thought of living in paradise is a better motivator than a speck of desert.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Perhaps, perhaps not. Religion is something that can cause even people who are commonly rational and peaceful to be belligerent in defense of it. When either side is constantly shouting, "You are a bunch of heathenistic worshipers of a false god, and our god is the only god and you shall all be condemned to eternal punishment for you blasphemous actions, etc etc." then the other side may be provoked.

Well yes, compleatly understandable. I've also seen people who are very smart and logical say incredibly irrational things because of their religion. But, to slaghter other people? And at the time it wasn't like you just shot a guy from 50 feet away. This was a time where you jammed a sword through a man's heart and had the blood spill over you. People sent others to war in the name of this. (not saying religion affects soliders. They'd do it for freedom or nationalism, ect..) I'm concerned about the people who order this. I feel that if I was a leader I would never go to war over religion, and I believe in one. So what I really want to understand, is if this is a normal thing to others. Would other religious people go to war over religion? Is this idea a natural one? That you should kill others because they don't believe in your religion? Or were these leaders and/or their time period unstable to begin with?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

You asked how would atheism not cause a war. I was pointing out that it simply would not be a motivator for it.

Unlike a lack if belief, a belief can motivate such actions.
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

You asked how would atheism not cause a war. I was pointing out that it simply would not be a motivator for it.

Oh so you agreed with my sorry for the misunderstanding.
alpharomeocars
alpharomeocars
10 posts
Nomad

One good reason to be an atheist is because holy books make no sense at all. For example the bible has a lot of silly contradictions throughout. Therefore that loosens the belief in religion. That can be a good reason to not believe in it and be an atheist.

SubZero131
SubZero131
598 posts
Nomad

The human mind is an amazing pattern recognizer. Though people do tend to see patterns that aren't there. Religion is so popular because it makes the big and complicated into something simple that can be pinned on a single cause.

"Where did the universe come from? "God."

Instead of actually trying to learn exactly how the universe and everything works people choose to attribute to a simpler solution of lesser intelligence.

Now. Why do YOU follow religion? Are you afraid of hell? DO you seek guidance? Do you REALLY need someone to tell you what is right and wrong?

Words and Philosophy. Reason and Logic.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

How would Atheism not cause wars.

I don't really think Atheism has much links to wars. Correct me if I'm wrong, but other than the participants of a war being atheist, I don't really see any reason why atheism itself would cause a war.

I'm not sure if many saw it, but here's a video of a Christian(I believe he's a pastor) proving God exists through a banana. I advise everyone to watch it, it's quite hilarious, mostly because he doesn't even know bananas aren't even natural nowadays.
Showing 586-600 of 660