ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146857
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Which make temtations difficult to do.

No, not really. It makes it even easier to be "tempted" because there are more things considered to be a sin. A mormon, for instance, could be tempted by alcohol, whilst a person who does not have any faith would not have it be a sin to consume and thus cannot be tempted to break their faith. Also, all religion does in its efforts to deter you from breaking their rules is eternal punishments.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

A lot of religions have good morals to take away from them.

We can get those morals without all the religious baggage.

knowing why you are here and be prepared for what is coming next.

But your not actually knowing. All you have is an unverified claim.

also it gives you a parameter which helps alot in your way of living such as the Church laws,etc. Which make temtations difficult to do.

Ever notice how some of the least religious countries are also some of the most peaceful?

The more green the more peaceful
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1a/Global_Peace_Index_2011.png

compared to the countries marked by how religious they are.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3423/3277768007_e06378be14_b.jpg

No, not really. It makes it even easier to be "tempted" because there are more things considered to be a sin. A mormon, for instance, could be tempted by alcohol, whilst a person who does not have any faith would not have it be a sin to consume and thus cannot be tempted to break their faith. Also, all religion does in its efforts to deter you from breaking their rules is eternal punishments.

In other words you tell someone not to do something they usually just want to do it more.
grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

knowing why you are here and be prepared for what is coming next

I don't think that you "know" it. You believe it which doesn't make it the truth.
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

We can get those morals without all the religious baggage.

I know, it's just MindReaver said this:

It makes people feel safe in the fact that God is watching over them, it gives them a sense of security. Thats all I really see for the good that Religion may do

And even though I'm an Atheist, I know that religion does more good than just that. I don't know all the good it does, but I know there's more than simply a sense of security.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Ever notice how some of the least religious countries are also some of the most peaceful?
Ever notice how correlation doesn't equal causation?

Anyway, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, the danger of religion is dogmatism. Not belief in itself, but the rejection of other possibilities. Understanding, not just rejecting, contrary beliefs is way more important than all those cheesy after school specials on the subject could even begin to express.

Typical AG Atheist: "Yeah Xzeno, you tell them! Religion makes you totally incapable of considering things rationally!" You guys are even worse. Way worse. The religious folks on AG tend to show some vague awareness of the other side's thinking. AG atheists, on the other hand, tend towards a habit of bullheadedly arguing an issue they don't understand, and make absolutely no effort to understand. Taking a single philosophy, a single way of thinking and holding it above all others, smugly batting away all criticism, it's the height of dogmatism.

Rather than productive exchange of ideas, these arguments tend to be a battle between two equally stupid forces, blundering on long after their words have emptied of all meaning. And I tend to pick on the atheists because I don't like their smug sense of superiority *looks at feet guiltily* but the more religious side of the debate has its flaws. For example, all the outlandish claims of irrationality and refusal to listen to anyone are often totally warranted. This is because of a lack of understanding of either atheism or one's own religion.

Want to help others find religion? Find it yourself first.

Want to free others from religion? You'd better free your mind instead.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Ever notice how correlation doesn't equal causation?

I'm aware that's not always the case. However this isn't the only example we have to go on. For instance the religious response to a problem &quotray" Example: Rick Perry's prayer rally. Atheists response to a problem "try and do something to fix it" Example: Recent charity drive held on blog tv.

I don't have the time to go looking for a link right now but there is also the example of the ratio between atheists to theists in prison. Before it's said this is based on what they claim as they are going in, not those claiming to convert while in jail.

The religious folks on AG tend to show some vague awareness of the other side's thinking. AG atheists, on the other hand, tend towards a habit of bullheadedly arguing an issue they don't understand, and make absolutely no effort to understand.

Considering before it was closed (I think the other thread should have been locked instead) I was answering questions in the "Ask A Christian" thread, so I call bull on that. Furthermore studies have shown atheists tend to know more about religion then the religious do.

Taking a single philosophy, a single way of thinking and holding it above all others, smugly batting away all criticism, it's the height of dogmatism.

So you think it's smug and dogmatic to only accept claims when the person provides objective evidence that we can double check for ourselves instead of toying with completely unfounded claims that often go against logic, reason and evidence? I guess you must have a real issue with science as well.
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

Typical AG Atheist: "Yeah Xzeno, you tell them! Religion makes you totally incapable of considering things rationally!" You guys are even worse. Way worse. The religious folks on AG tend to show some vague awareness of the other side's thinking. AG atheists, on the other hand, tend towards a habit of bullheadedly arguing an issue they don't understand, and make absolutely no effort to understand. Taking a single philosophy, a single way of thinking and holding it above all others, smugly batting away all criticism, it's the height of dogmatism.

I think my last post on this page completely contradicts this whole paragraph. And if it doesn't, I shall go further:

1. I've never that mindset of religious people can't think rationally, and never will.

2. ...#1 pretty much sums up everything that in the list that I'd be posting, except for #3:

3. Remember, the bulk of the AG users are between the ages of 13-20, so most of us are still kids. Cut us some slack. Nobodies perfect and nobody ever will be.
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,672 posts
Nomad

i just thought id remind anyone, that anyone who claims to KNOW there is NO god, are just as bad as the Christians or other religions who claim to KNOW their is a god

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

i just thought id remind anyone, that anyone who claims to KNOW there is NO god, are just as bad as the Christians or other religions who claim to KNOW their is a god

Well, for instance we can be quite sure there aren't certain specific gods. Depends on what the religious are claiming their gods to be. We can't, of course, know about the existence/nonexistence of any unknown deity.
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,672 posts
Nomad

Well, for instance we can be quite sure there aren't certain specific gods. Depends on what the religious are claiming their gods to be. We can't, of course, know about the existence/nonexistence of any unknown deity.

my point exactly. if you claim that their is no god at all however, cause you honestly have no clue. the answers to this subject probably will never be found. you know when you will find out? when you die.

so for people who are acting like they know everything for sure on this matter, die, come back in a week and tell me how it goes. thanks.

p.s. i havent read ANY other posts other then the OP. im just making the assumption that their are people in this thread doing the things i have mentioned, especially considering this is a religious thread in the WERP section :P
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

my point exactly. if you claim that their is no god at all however, cause you honestly have no clue.

Since we haven't got the evidence for a god (any god) we don't believe. It's that simple when it comes to any deity. There is with belief and without belief, atheists are without. With specific deities we can be reasonable certain based on the claims compared to observations and reasoning.

you know when you will find out? when you die.

Not if we are no longer capable of consciousness, we won;t be able to find anything out then.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

my point exactly. if you claim that their is no god at all however, cause you honestly have no clue. the answers to this subject probably will never be found. you know when you will find out? when you die.

so for people who are acting like they know everything for sure on this matter, die, come back in a week and tell me how it goes. thanks.

I just came back after dying. You know that episode of South Park where Kenny gets addicted to cheesing (sniffing cat urine) and finds himself lost in a world filled with rock n roll and awesome rocking tatas? Yeah, it's nothing like that.
LEAPretard
LEAPretard
1,328 posts
Nomad

I just came back after dying. You know that episode of South Park where Kenny gets addicted to cheesing (sniffing cat urine) and finds himself lost in a world filled with rock n roll and awesome rocking tatas? Yeah, it's nothing like that.

Did you die in a car crash and the did the medics revive you or something?

Or are you being sarcastic..
LEAPretard
LEAPretard
1,328 posts
Nomad

It's because the word "just" makes me feel... Nevermind.

Last comment on this forum. Check my Profile.

Ultimaster
Ultimaster
10 posts
Nomad

It is virtually impossible to convince a great majority of religious people to become atheists or agnostics. As a matter of fact here is how one conversation went(paraphrased):
A(Atheist): "Here are some reasons why a god doesn't exist."
B(Believer): "Counterreasons."
A: "Countercounterreasons."
B: "Well...umm...the proof that you are trying to convince me with is not proof from my viewpoint."
END OF CONVERSATION

And mind you, thats the BEST outcome you can get when dealing with said majority.

Showing 91-105 of 660