ForumsThe Tavern(Nostalgia) Was AG better before?

1018 159408
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Hello. While I was exploring AG-based Xats, I've met several unactive/banned/"old-school" AG Users. Most of them said that, one of the main reasons to their inactivity here is that the site was better before.

Is that true?

How better? They say that the threads had more quality back in time.

Well, I can't tell if it was. I joined June 26th, so that's not too much knowledge on our awesome site...

- R

• 1,018 Replies
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

If that was supposed to be a pun, it wasn't very punny.

And if not, I was asking because he replied to my post, and it didn't really seem to relate...

Pretty soon, some mod or staff member would create a sticky regarding what happened to everyone's AP.

And those are read how often?
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

If that was supposed to be a pun, it wasn't very punny.

Yes it was.

Sometimes. Which is better than not at all, as it usually reduces the amount of threads asking the same question by a noticeable amount.
vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

Will there even be forums to start, though?

That questioned will be unanswered. But I think they will put it in to start, hopefully. And it'd would have been nice if they previewed the AG3 forums in beta.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Cormyn had said that they don't have a forum designer on staff, although that may have changed in the past few months. Apparently this forums were contracted out to somebody who wrote the code and walked away.

Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Awwww, see what you did, you made him sad nicho

Honestly, I read through maybe 2 or 3 threads a day, I used to look through atleast 20 in each section...

The only section I've been visiting lately is the Tavern, to be honest.
Today's threads are just so stupid.

You're correct. There are exceptions {like this one []}, but there are threads that, besides being "meh" and look pointless, just can't be saved.
I'm bored so...

Wow, that list is precise.
Not gonna lie, I'm totally advocating a forum wipe, barring some sections, i.e. historic threads in general regardless of section, stickies, active AMW threads, active forum games, the WEPR needs to be erased.

The WEPR must be erased for sanity's sake. So we can start over with fresh, clever threads
Pretty soon, some mod or staff member would create a sticky regarding what happened to everyone's AP.

But, before that happens, the forums will be over the top with threads like those.

*coughnevercough*
And it'd would have been nice if they previewed the AG3 forums in beta.

They... didn't? I wasn't around when close beta was running.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Forums haven't been discussed much, although closed Beta had a lot more features than the Public version does, I'm guessing they'll start adding features soon enough.

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
991 posts
Nomad

Well since this is turning into a conversation about AGv3, I'll go ahead and say I wish they'd keep the design, but add the key features that this version of ArmorGames is missing.
Honestly, it now looks like every other generic flash website. I hope they clean it up before they say they're finished...

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

AG is first and foremost a business and the reason that every flash website has that design is because it attracts people, and that ultimately is their goal. I for one thinks it looks much classier than others, it may emulate the formatting, but the style is different.

seanrhagen
seanrhagen
1 posts
Nomad

yes i'm still using the old one

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

But, before that happens, the forums will be over the top with threads like those.

That depends on how long the mods/staff decide to wait before putting up a sticky. If they put it up right away, it may end up not even being necessary if there aren't a huge amount of people asking about where their AP went. If they wait too long, then the flood of spam will just last longer. So, it's better to wait a little time before jumping to sticky conclusions.

I'll go ahead and say I wish they'd keep the design, but add the key features that this version of ArmorGames is missing.

The design doesn't bother me. What I'm not looking forward to is the new point system, which will supposedly be based on game achievements. They seem to just be copying Kongregate's point system, and there are reasons why I'm an active member here and not on Kongregate. I'm sure I speak for many of you when I say that.

What I've always admired about this site is that anyone, regardless of their ability to play games, can be successful; and there aren't necessarily more advantages to being a member for a long period of time, nor are there as many disadvantages to being a newer user. I hate to see this amazing, one-of-a-kind site change into something mainstream and unoriginal.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

The design doesn't bother me. What I'm not looking forward to is the new point system, which will supposedly be based on game achievements. They seem to just be copying Kongregate's point system, and there are reasons why I'm an active member here and not on Kongregate. I'm sure I speak for many of you when I say that.

What I've always admired about this site is that anyone, regardless of their ability to play games, can be successful; and there aren't necessarily more advantages to being a member for a long period of time, nor are there as many disadvantages to being a newer user. I hate to see this amazing, one-of-a-kind site change into something mainstream and unoriginal.

There will be a Reputation system for those who prefer forums to games. I also think the Reputation system will measure community involvement better than the current point system (it will be based on quality, not quantity). Also, there are many users who would not mind similarity to other sites. Finally, this should not become a "fanboy" war between AG2 and AG3.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

In any case, are there any other ancient, but loved threads that we haven't mentioned yet?

I don't think we've gone into detail on WoM yet...

waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

I never really payed much attention to the WoM. It was more of a TL;DR sort of thing for me. However, I did pay attention to Strop's horse po...Art thread. There was some good "art" in there.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

In any case, are there any other ancient, but loved threads that we haven't mentioned yet?

Anyone remember "If you have a question about girls..." or the original "Show your face to AG" thread?
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

I remember both, "Show Your Face..." was hilarious, I remember this one kid posted his picture, and someone accused him of using photoshop. xD Tuna and Voidy had some pics in there too.

Showing 376-390 of 1018