ForumsThe Tavern(Nostalgia) Was AG better before?

1018 159403
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Hello. While I was exploring AG-based Xats, I've met several unactive/banned/"old-school" AG Users. Most of them said that, one of the main reasons to their inactivity here is that the site was better before.

Is that true?

How better? They say that the threads had more quality back in time.

Well, I can't tell if it was. I joined June 26th, so that's not too much knowledge on our awesome site...

- R

• 1,018 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Tuna and Voidy had some pics in there too.

Gantic is the only moderator left who has not yet shown his face in either the old or the new thread.

No pressure, Gantic. No pressure.
Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

Cenere, bro, Cenere.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Cenere, bro, Cenere.

I saw his picture somewhere in these forums a while back. From what I remember, he looks sort of like a cross between Harry Potter and Neville Longbottom.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Not exactly ancient, but does anyone remember the 'Meow Meow' thread in the Newcomer's forum?

It was badboy97777's hi thread, which turned into various spam. In fact, Strop accused me of blasphemy in that thread when he posted a ninja horse picture and I called a non-horse and also accused him of an unnecessary joke.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

[quote]Not exactly ancient, but does anyone remember the 'Meow Meow' thread in the Newcomer's forum?

It was badboy97777's hi thread, which turned into various spam. In fact, Strop accused me of blasphemy in that thread when he posted a ninja horse picture and I called him a non-horse and also accused him of an unnecessary joke.[/quote]

Now that I actually looked through the thread, I can give some more details:

The thread occurred while I was still relatively new (I think I was a Gold Squire at the time), which was when I was so serious that I advocated seriousness and was called a buzzkill. Specifically, the first few posts were backseat modding (except the OP, which was what was being backseat modded). However, it soon turned into a war between jokes and seriousness. Specifically, I was on the side of seriousness, and iMogwai and idontsuckthatmuch were on the side of jokes. The war went on for the first half of the thread, then DaoGao backseat modded. After the backseat modding, the thread became a discussion on whether "cat" was a language or not (which was irrelevant because all posts must be in English). The discussion came as a result of iMogwai and idontsuckthatmuch meowing in their posts. On page 7 (of 9), Strop accused me of blasphemy and 2 cardinal sins. However, he also made a typo in that post which he pointed out on page 8. This was the typo with the wrong part bolded:

Oh Patrick, you're suck a buzzkill.

I didn't notice it at the time, but this is the correct version:

Oh Patrick, you're such a buzzkill.

After the accusation, the language discussion stopped, and the thread was later locked with the [OT] lock tag (I don't know what that means, but whatever). It only lasted 2 days. More specifically:

4/20/2011-4/22/2011

Actually, now that I think about it, this post by me triggered the war:

[quote]Please don't eat me just because my armatar is a rat.

You don't need to fear being eaten because you're not really your armatar.[/quote]

The double quoted part was what I quoted in that post (it was originally made by iMogwai). Btw, this was the OP:

meowmeow meow? meow meowwwww... meow meow... purrrrrrr... meow!

With that, I have given all the info necessary to discuss the meow meow thread further, or you guys can discuss something else.
samdawghomie
samdawghomie
3,550 posts
Peasant

I'm pretty sure that OT would mean Off Topic. Just sayin'.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

What does OT stand for anyways? Over-Threaded?

Off topic.

After the backseat modding, the thread became a discussion on whether "cat" was a language or not (which was irrelevant because all posts must be in English).

Lol. Do snails have a language?

Anyways, I don't really notice any difference, but I was never really "that" active when I first joined and have only in the past year really started to hang around here more.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

[quote]Off topic.

Humm, seemed on-topic to me... Just, rather focused on one point that wasn't mentioned in the OP :P[/quote]

That's called derailing the thread, which is essentially off-topic.

[quote]Lol. Do snails have a language?

Sure, as far as snails go.[/quote]

The existence of a snail language cannot be proven or disproven. If there is, we don't understand it (and snails can't speak our language).

[quote]Anyways, I don't really notice any difference, but I was never really "that" active when I first joined and have only in the past year really started to hang around here more.

It seems there has been a slight decline of maturity, in terms of posts, threads, and users. Either that, or I was just plain ignorant at that point (which was probably the case).[/quote]

I haven't really noticed a change in maturity since I joined, other than the fact that my maturity has gone up (after serving 2 temp-bans for backseat modding).
Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

I saw his picture somewhere in these forums a while back. From what I remember, he looks sort of like a cross between Harry Potter and Neville Longbottom.

What level of technicality would you accept?

Cenere has never shown the real-life phototacular face to Armor Games, just a drawing. Someone else (and it's obvious who if you've been around long enough) 'volunteered' herself to post photos of Cenere. If you count the self-portrait as showing his face, then sure, I'm the only current mod not to do so. If you count someone else posting a photo of Cenere as showing his face, then sure, I'm the only current mod not to do so but I'll dispute your claim. If neither one of those suffice, then Cenere has never shown his face.

Also, there'll never be a photo of me posted anywhere on Armor Games.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

I'm on your side Gantic.

I'm going to be honest I'm far more averse to back seat modders then I am flamers, I don't know why...

I remember Zoph threatening Cenere with that when I read the "Show your face..." archives, although I don't recall finding an instance of her posting an actual picture.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Cenere has never shown the real-life phototacular face to Armor Games, just a drawing. Someone else (and it's obvious who if you've been around long enough) 'volunteered' herself to post photos of Cenere. If you count the self-portrait as showing his face, then sure, I'm the only current mod not to do so. If you count someone else posting a photo of Cenere as showing his face, then sure, I'm the only current mod not to do so but I'll dispute your claim. If neither one of those suffice, then Cenere has never shown his face.

If my memory does not fail me it was Zoph. Good Zoph.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

OH OH! I KNOW, it was Zoph in the old photo thread. linkies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Ahhhhhh nooooo....seeing the convos in that threads makes me cry for nostalgia.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

The thing I'm most looking forward to for AG3 is to see all these try hard kids rep going something like this.

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/sinkhole-guatemala-2.jpg?w=500&h=424

You know who you are.

Actually, you probably don't.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Pazx I don't get your analogy...

Showing 391-405 of 1018