ForumsThe Tavern(Nostalgia) Was AG better before?

1018 159394
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Hello. While I was exploring AG-based Xats, I've met several unactive/banned/"old-school" AG Users. Most of them said that, one of the main reasons to their inactivity here is that the site was better before.

Is that true?

How better? They say that the threads had more quality back in time.

Well, I can't tell if it was. I joined June 26th, so that's not too much knowledge on our awesome site...

- R

• 1,018 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Walker had something on his profile about a heart attack, still not sure whether or not that was a joke.

I couldn't tell if that was serious or not either. It looked as if it was just a joke regarding Dead Space 2, but there's no way of knowing for sure unless he is to tell us himself.

Strop, Gantic, Cenere, NoName, Zophia, and I think that's about it.

They've always done a great job here, even if they were just lurking in the shadows and we didn't see them. Zophia has just recently vanished off the face of the earth, and hasn't shown herself here in quite some time, but she'll probably come back before AG3 rears its ugly head.

and I have no idea what happened to Devoidless.

He pops in every few weeks or so, then sinks back into his hole and hibernates for another few weeks.
drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

Whatever happened to Carlie too? She was pretty cool to talk to back in '09.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Carlie got a new job and left a very long time ago.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Zophia is lurking so far as I'm aware, and I have no idea what happened to Devoidless.

Zoph's account's comments has reopened.....

He pops in every few weeks or so, then sinks back into his hole and hibernates for another few weeks.

Miss having Uber and Estel around....
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

It was most likely not the best of ideas to start posting in that thread again, even if it is currently not restored and you think you can restart it. It makes a bit like when a thread has been locked, and seconds later there is a new thread with the same topic but with a "DON'T SPAM" disclaimer to it. It doesn't help anything. If you could get a mod to look after the thread, and it doesn't progress with a thousand pages a day (so that such monitoring gets annoying and slow), you could probably have a new thread. Perhaps.

On active mods:
Devoidless has a faulty computer, which means that his normal lurking ways are kinda disrupted frequently.
Zophia... Should probably lock her comments again, though I tend to look after them.
Strop checks reports made on his profile, when he has time. I tend to look after that profile too.
Asherlee... I don't know about Asherlee. She is probably just the regular old busy.
Walker popped online for long enough to tell us he had had some problems and he would soon start modding again. I think he might be running on doctor/valve time.

Generally, if you have something to tell Zophia, you should probably tell me, and if you have something urgent for Strop, you should probably tell me. They don't usually shoot the messenger, so I won't mind.

@Ernie: I can't spell. It was supposed to point out you were most likely not referring to the more awesome and - badbutt Harry and Neville from the last movie.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Neville = BAMF.

You guys are beginning to sound like noobs asking for a second chance. Get over it. It's gone. It can come back, but it's gone for now.

Does anyone else just completely skip over Patrick's posts, or does everyone read them for the amusement?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

ou guys are beginning to sound like noobs asking for a second chance. Get over it. It's gone. It can come back, but it's gone for now.

My eyes must have gone bad....second chance for?

I must admit, despite the very literal sound of his posts, they are rather entertaining to read sometimes.

Just filling in the gaps....he got banned once did he?
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

To be honest, I found that "TTICA" thread a whole lot of mess, especially because it was moving as fast as it did, and replies didn't have to be long and though through as much as a single line to reply to the last point of the discussion (a bit like this...), so I was pretty happy Strop was taking care of it. I am sure it was a load of fun and happiness, but, well, you seem to be fairly happy about this too.

Does anyone else just completely skip over Patrick's posts, or does everyone read them for the amusement?

I read them. Then I make the conscious decision to ignore the content to make sure I don't point out he is still being boringly literal, slightly off topic by being boringly literal, and otherwise get annoyed with the things he write and how he does it.
Buuut, it is probably no good to start discussions on users now, it gets nasty and is almost as effective as bumping to get a thread locked.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Buuut, it is probably no good to start discussions on users now, it gets nasty and is almost as effective as bumping to get a thread locked.

Straight from the mouth of a mod...it tinges a little with delightful irony.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Humm, you can't restrict threads, can you? That is, to only let specific users participate? I don't know if that would help much, but that might prevent a little bit of spammage.

He can't, and that would be a little discriminatory since a troll will still post insightful posts once in a while and I doubt the mods are omnipotent to know when that would occur!
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Maybe people could just write longer and more thoughtful posts... It benefits the community more by providing something for people to actually comment on and isn't as im-in-an-out. Yay for discussion.

Yeanotgunappen.

The internet never ceases to surprise me by spewing forth an insurmountable number of trolls. Lately though there aren't many on AG. Ah the nostalgia....(Yes Cen, see, we stick on topic.....)
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Yay for AG.!

That's why I love this place... The people here are awesome. I'm going to have some serious nostalgia in the future, either if I end up leaving or everyone else does.

You should have been there when it was so much more vibrant To draw an obscure analogy, this is Gondor in the Fourth Age compared to Numenor in all its golden splendour.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

That is a somewhat sad analogy... Hopefully it will return to it's former state at some point. It also makes you wonder what, if at all, you might be doing wrong.

Another LOTR analogy. I feel like one of the last elves in Middle Earth, the few who stayed when the last ship departed to the West.....

Ah, it breaks my heart.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I wonder who Frodo and Gandalf were... And yet again sad. Man, LOTR is full of analogies, not to mention sad analogies.

Maybe Gandalf was Moe...quite the wise mod who teaches philosophy. He's gone now. Frodo? I can crack my head and give you an answer tomorrow maybe.

There's always that thin strand of hope. Oh the nostalgia.

Middle Earth is at peace finally....
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

They disappear so often now it's almost expected. I'm more surprised when I see an influx of moderators now than when I see a lack of them. We're all used to it, though. It's been this way ever since the beginning of time.

Yep, I rarely ever see them nowadays posting other than locking threads, aside from Cenere of course.
You guys are beginning to sound like noobs asking for a second chance. Get over it. It's gone. It can come back, but it's gone for now.

It's not like it's going to appear magically overnight. If you don't like the current state of the forums and the threads then you should create threads with good topics that'll bring in discussion.
Showing 481-495 of 1018