ForumsThe Tavern(Nostalgia) Was AG better before?

1018 159371
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Hello. While I was exploring AG-based Xats, I've met several unactive/banned/"old-school" AG Users. Most of them said that, one of the main reasons to their inactivity here is that the site was better before.

Is that true?

How better? They say that the threads had more quality back in time.

Well, I can't tell if it was. I joined June 26th, so that's not too much knowledge on our awesome site...

- R

• 1,018 Replies
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

[quote]The only reason i remember them having it is off one of the archives, i think it was really early in the site.

I wonder how Patrick knows.....[/quote]

Are you talking about the button or the comment armatars? Just in case, I will answer both.

Buttons: Several months ago, someone made a thread asking why there is a red dot next to the username. Someone else said that it used to change color to indicate activity.

Comment Armatars: Replies to site news comments still have armatars next to them, but not the original comments. Otherwise, I never knew about that.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

then Fst for about half an hour

If even for that long. Someone cleaned out their comments, and then FT was back to number one. Fst got PO'd. XD
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I think JWalshJr was for a while, then Coheed, then Fire, then Fst for about half an hour, and since then it's always been Fire. Before that, I'm not sure.

From Lil_Gangsta_Blaze's profile:

Blackout
Firetail_madness
Jwalshjr
XcoheedX
KingOfGames (KOG)
Starscreamer
fst6

In no particular order. I don't think this includes people who were #1 in the AG2 beta phase. I also remember hearing that jwalshjr was only #1 for a couple of days after blackout was banned.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Were armatars next to comments in general? I remember them being there during games, but I can't recall for the life of me if they ever appeared on profiles.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Were armatars next to comments in general? I remember them being there during games, but I can't recall for the life of me if they ever appeared on profiles.

They were on profiles too.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Could i be bothered reading through 69 pages? No.
Have i wrote in this thread before? Hopefully not.

AG has always been an amazing site, with great mods, fantastic game and a pretty well varied community.

I don't blame AG for "being better before"
I blame this generation for being suckish.

I'm glad the site is moving forward though, and i'm hoping with the revamp a lot more active users will be attracted to the site, helping to build up the great sense of community it once had :]

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Yeah we totally suck. TT

Methinks trolls and other assorted hoodlums come with whatever intelligent life frequents the internet, and then of course you have the intelligent users who choose to troll, and do so effectively which is a whole new can of worms.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

My reaction to reading the last three pages:

"People don't remember armatars on comments? Wow, I'm old *turns page*

Blackout? Jwalsh? Who are these people... I feel young..."

:c

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Guys.....could we compile a list of trolls and induct them into AG's Hall of Trolls? :3

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

All in a bid to keep our history alive!

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Of course! Who makes the list? Do we consider Patty to be a troll?

On second thoughts....Idk, see what the mods say. We can't pinpoint individual users right >< Shoot.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

How many different sections in the forums have there been? I know there were at least two that aren't in the current ones, the Sonny and Arcade Games forums.

I remember the Sonny one when everyone was mad about it. Some user proposed it.
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

I apologize for "Posting and run", but I don't have enough time to respond properly. DROPPING THE BOMB HERE!

Back in the golden days, Merits (or, according to "Wayback Machine", "referrals&quot were easier or harder to get? Judging by that Merit King with 141 merits, you can get some conclusions.

Also, what about the staff? I know that caffeine101 has apparently lost his Admin status inexplicably since I got here,but what other official AG staff members have joined or left since the Golden Days?

Once again, sorry for dropping the bomb here. But I've been busy lately.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

"referrals"

Referrals are not the same as merits. But merits were a ittle easier to get, as the standard has gone up.
Referrals were extremely easy to get, since all was required were an email account not used on an AG account, which is the reason they took it down. It was way too easy to exploit.

Carlie and Calm are gone, might be more, but there are extremely few staff members that seem to interact with the community. Most seem to stick with the things they do otherwise, programming, game developing and the like, and only pop in once in a rare while, if ever.
As for the mods, though not staff: Ubertuna, Dank, Moe too, DM as well (though all mentioned in the WoM, so that says something about that timeline...).
Asherlee was demodded for a while, because she was busy.

Sections:
After the great rebuild, only one section has been created and put down as far as I remember, and that would be the Sonny one.
Arcade and gaming as well as several others might have been around before spring/summer 2008, but most besides the oldest vets would remember that, I guess. Ask King 'Since Beta' Ryan about that, he probably remembers.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Iron - Lord

Flag

I apologize for "Posting and run", but I don't have enough time to respond properly. DROPPING THE BOMB HERE!

Back in the golden days, Merits (or, according to "Wayback Machine", "referrals&quot were easier or harder to get? Judging by that Merit King with 141 merits, you can get some conclusions.

Also, what about the staff? I know that caffeine101 has apparently lost his Admin status inexplicably since I got here,but what other official AG staff members have joined or left since the Golden Days?

Once again, sorry for dropping the bomb here. But I've been busy lately.

See that button that says bold?

DONT CLICK IT.

But merits were a ittle easier to get, as the standard has gone up

Do mods still look through game comments for reviews that deserve merits?

Oh, and does anyone remember the 'vote up' feature?
Showing 631-645 of 1018