ForumsThe Tavern(Nostalgia) Was AG better before?

1018 159369
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Hello. While I was exploring AG-based Xats, I've met several unactive/banned/"old-school" AG Users. Most of them said that, one of the main reasons to their inactivity here is that the site was better before.

Is that true?

How better? They say that the threads had more quality back in time.

Well, I can't tell if it was. I joined June 26th, so that's not too much knowledge on our awesome site...

- R

• 1,018 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I never really tried to get merits, I just wrote reviews (I think about 15-25 if you add them up) for games I enjoyed playing and for a few that weren't that good but could be improved greatly if the developer added and fixed some things.

I was kind of surprised when I got my first merit because the comment wasn't that good. It wasn't written with near perfect grammar how they want now (wasn't terrible either, but I didn't capitalize much when I wrote it and it was only about a paragraph long). And the second one took me about half an hour to write I think.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

About the topic of merits, I have none, but I made a comment on Treadmillasaurus Rex that was a merit attempt back in February that was this:

I played this game three times and almost scored 70,000 in one of them, which put me 2nd today and 6th this week. I like how each game is different because the Wheel of Awesome is random. I also noticed what causes spins. I found out that every three spike balls that reach the left side causes a spin. So, faster spike balls make spins happen more frequently. In my best game, I maxed out the party. I realized I did so when I spun a +1 Party with no effect. I also like the game's music, both intro and in-game. The intro music starts when the Armor Games animation begins and cycles every 24 seconds. The in-game music sounds like it has two parts and sounds techno. The dinosaur in the main menu alternates between hat and no hat. I also found something contradictory about the dinosaur's speed. One of the random facts says, "The T-Rex is built to run moderately at about 11 mph," yet the dinosaur in the game can run over 20 mph. I simply noticed it, and it is probably the best speed to balance the game. Speaking of game balance, the game is appropriately easy to begin with, but gets more challenging as the game goes on. This game is as close to perfect as I have ever seen because it has great music, great game balance, and it has a very interesting game concept. I would love to see a sequel to this game that also has great music and game balance. As for how good I am at this game, the average score is a little over 20,000. I am generally above average at this game, but I have my slumps, such as the 2nd game I played, which earned a score of only 11,912. Of the three games I played, my average is a little less than twice the average of all players who submit their scores. This comment was so long that it took me 20 minutes to write it.

About a half hour after that comment, iliktositonmypancaks responded as follows:

patrick2011 please... please don't kill yourself

He later admitted that it was sarcastic (of course), but I would consider my comment a game review, which isn't guaranteed to earn a merit. However, I thought I had a pretty good chance at one. I may have written other game reviews, but this is the only one I remember.
DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd

I remember when Crush the Castle was the big thing here.
And now my levels don't even work! Annoying!

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

About the topic of merits, I have none, but I made a comment on Treadmillasaurus Rex that was a merit attempt back in February that was this:

I think you're describing far too much in the first half. Also, I find that it's way easier to get merits if you write them for newer games.

I can easily do a 300 plus comment in 10 minutes if I'm in the mood.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

This isn't a forum for you to post game reviews and get tips on writing them.

However, I'm gonna be a hypocritical jerk and point out a flaw.

The intro music starts when the Armor Games animation begins and cycles every 24 seconds.

You'd think the game developer would know when his music started, and why would you bother checking how long it is between loops?

I think I should point out that a review of the game is meant to be for the developer to find out what worked, what didn't and how they can improve on it, and for the general public to see whether it is a good game, not to find out how often the music loops or your score. That would be the reason you didn't get a merit.

Also posting your review here makes you seem like an attention seeker. (Apologies for all the line breaks, I feel bad typing this message.)
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

That would be the reason you didn't get a merit.

I agree.

Not to mention all the facts "Then this happen, then this, and then there are these facts that are ttly not facts".
It's not a review, it is a very boring and hard to read description of the game.

Anyway, does anyone remember what happened to the numerous "Need a crit of your review" threads?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Anyway, does anyone remember what happened to the numerous "Need a crit of your review" threads?

Yes. I could do with one now.

Also, wow. That's the longest post I've seen Pierce post in what....a month?

Also, this chunk.
In my best game, I maxed out the party. I realized I did so when I spun a +1 Party with no effect. I also like the game's music, both intro and in-game. The intro music starts when the Armor Games animation begins and cycles every 24 seconds. The in-game music sounds like it has two parts and sounds techno. The dinosaur in the main menu alternates between hat and no hat. I also found something contradictory about the dinosaur's speed. One of the random facts says, "The T-Rex is built to run moderately at about 11 mph," yet the dinosaur in the game can run over 20 mph.

Is almost utterly useless since it sounds like you're writing a guide. Also the part about having a hat and no hat? I fell off my chair laughing.

http://sevenbedroomsuite.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/a-very-dapper-t-rex.jpg
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

I felt like that was just an excuse for ADMIN LOOKY AT MY GAME REVIEW LOL MERIT PLSPLSPLS

Also, wow. That's the longest post I've seen Pierce post in what....a month?

I've been back for a month?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I've been back for a month?

Or quite some time. Possibly a year since I've last seen you post such a looonnnnngggg comment.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Missing the time when this thread was more active!

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Wait, so are we actually posting some of our game reviews to get a critique? :P

I was mentioning a merit attempt of mine, and people are now criticizing it.
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

*hem*

Critiquing it. There's a difference. It's not your fault they think it's bad.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

I can't remember the games I got merits for. I do remember making fst6 write a difficult review on Elephant Rave for the newspaper thingy though :L

Wait, so are we actually posting some of our game reviews to get a critique? :P

If you want to join the Patrick club.

You don't.

Critiquing it. There's a difference. It's not your fault they think it's bad.

+10000000 rep when AG3.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Oops, I missed something.

I was mentioning a merit attempt of mine

"So I wrote a review trying for a merit one time" = mentioning a 'merit attempt'
"Insert 'merit attempt' here" =/= mentioning a 'merit attempt'.

Also don't try to write merits >.>
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Seems I missed some interesting stuff. I must admit the vote up for comments was interesting, if incredibly biased, it would be interesting to see a feature like that in v3, perhaps reserve it for those who have a certain reputation, or have earned a number of awards for gaming?

Showing 661-675 of 1018