ForumsThe Tavern(Nostalgia) Was AG better before?

1018 159372
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Hello. While I was exploring AG-based Xats, I've met several unactive/banned/"old-school" AG Users. Most of them said that, one of the main reasons to their inactivity here is that the site was better before.

Is that true?

How better? They say that the threads had more quality back in time.

Well, I can't tell if it was. I joined June 26th, so that's not too much knowledge on our awesome site...

- R

• 1,018 Replies
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

DONT CLICK IT.

Hey, lets put down the Hater-ade, and be nice about it.

PLEASE DON'T CLICK IT.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Let me guess, people were abusing it?

Boom goes the dinamite.

It allowed people to 'like' comments they thought should get a merit. You can see the problem, I assume.
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Do mods still look through game comments for reviews that deserve merits?

I am sure Nicho can answer that.
No, wait, I can. I got a merit a few days ago It almost makes up for hours of deleting spam in some of the new games.
Almost.

Generally, it seems like... well, if we have a function, it will be abused. No exceptions.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Back in the golden days, Merits (or, according to "Wayback Machine", "referrals&quot were easier or harder to get?

I remember looking through some older comments on games a few months ago and noticed that merits given through '08-'09 were just a small paragraph or two. Not what they expect today. Seems like it was really easy to get them back then, which is probably why that user has 141 and a handful of people from then are above 40 or so.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Strangely enough, I've gotten a merit for a comment of about that size, personally I didn't feel like I had deserved it, but I'm not going to argue. And I'm not sure there's anything like a demerit in any case.

I remember there being a sports forum, or perhaps mention of it. I'm not quite sure, I do know that it existed.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I remember there being a sports forum, or perhaps mention of it. I'm not quite sure, I do know that it existed.

A sports forum never existed. It has been proposed by numerous users, but it has never actually been created.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

It seems that they have added a little bar at the top of the beta so you now know who you are. Nothing for profiles yet, though.

Clicking the down arrow next to your username leads to a menu that includes the "My Profile" button. Clicking that button leads to your profile as it appears on AG2, but the username displayed has no caps.

A sports forum never existed. It has been proposed by numerous users, but it has never actually been created.

I actually don't think one would be a good idea. Sports topics can be posted in either the Tavern or Popular Media, according to the Hey Taverners thread.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I actually don't think one would be a good idea.

The admins agree with you, mainly because there aren't and probably will never be enough sports topics to create a demand high enough for a completely new branch of the forums to be created, not to mention maintained on a regular basis.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Agreed. I could've sworn that someone had made mention of a sports forum that had been around during the first few months, and had been removed due to the reasons mentioned above. Similarly to the arcade forum that was featured earlier in this thread as a mention to the "First thread on AG"

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Similarly to the arcade forum that was featured earlier in this thread as a mention to the "First thread on AG"

I don't believe those were ever forum categories, but just game categories. The "first thread" was actually a game comment left for "The Mind Bender", but since all comments can be viewed as threads, it was seen as a forum post in a particular forum section that never existed.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Perhaps, I wish we had someone around that was actually active in the community during late 07 or early 08 to confirm this.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Strangely enough, I've gotten a merit for a comment of about that size, personally I didn't feel like I had deserved it, but I'm not going to argue.

I've only gotten two game review merits, the other two I have were from Cormyn. One for the April Fool's joke and another for keeping discussion going in the AG3 subforum or something like that. I almost got a merit for the haiku contest... but I landed in second place.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I almost got a merit for the haiku contest... but I landed in second place.

I've earned at least 3 merits from the haiku contest, 3 from the poetry contest, plus at least 2 others from contests that no longer exist. The other 24 or so are just game reviews, which is a mere fraction of the amount of long and detailed game reviews I've actually written; I think I've composed over 100.

I do miss the days when there were more contests running that awarded merits. Not just for the merity-prize (though that did play an important factor), but because it made the community more involved with submitting original material.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Not to mention the added challenge, it allowed a constant improvement upon one's own work rather than a glorified stagnation.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Do mods still look through game comments for reviews that deserve merits?

I am sure Nicho can answer that.

Yes they do and they complain about my writing style even though I clearly put in much more effort than most Changing it doesn't seem to work either, so bummer.
Showing 646-660 of 1018