ForumsThe Tavern(Nostalgia) Was AG better before?

1018 159365
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Hello. While I was exploring AG-based Xats, I've met several unactive/banned/"old-school" AG Users. Most of them said that, one of the main reasons to their inactivity here is that the site was better before.

Is that true?

How better? They say that the threads had more quality back in time.

Well, I can't tell if it was. I joined June 26th, so that's not too much knowledge on our awesome site...

- R

• 1,018 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

You should probably thank the sudden rise of advertisement accounts these past few weeks.

I didn't think of it that way, but I suppose there is a benefit to having all those adbots and whatnot lurking about the game comments. Not that it's a good thing that they're there, but I guess they aren't 100% bad.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

No, they're definitely evil, the increased mod attention is just the silver lining so to speak. Then again, the comments sections of AG have always been rather spammy, which begs the question why only adbots arise the attention of our mods?

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

No, they're definitely evil

Indeed they are, but sometimes disaster can bring out the best in all of us (or just the mods in this case).

which begs the question why only adbots arise the attention of our mods?

Their attention probably arose from the increasing amount of reports they've been getting ever since the adbots starting showing up in the game comments.
Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

I feel justified in not handing out any merits because I don't believe any of you deserve them. I've stated before that anyone who complains about them will be intentionally skipped over. Doesn't matter when you wrote them.

'Oh, I stopped writing good comments because the mods stopped giving out merits.' Well then you sure as heck don't deserve one. I don't care anyone says but I will not reinforce this behavior just so more people write better comments. That just makes you a merit *****. Most of reviews you guys write are as boring as a all-nighter 10-page research paper done mostly with Wikipedia. Completely uncompelling, rote and rutted bull****.

We're not noticing this the comments more or less often. I don't check the comments for games I haven't played and I sure as heck didn't play any of the new games but did a lot of work on them. You guys just like to explain our behavior in a way that justifies your self-affirming opinions.

And you know what? Merits aren't worth diddly come AG3.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Most of reviews you guys write are as boring as a all-nighter 10-page research paper done mostly with Wikipedia.

This is why, when I see a really bad game, I tend to write Simon Cowell-like reviews so at least the game developer would enjoy reading about how bad his game is. I take more satisfaction in making the developers feel stupid than an extra 25 points.

Which is why I stopped writing reviews for games I think are good; they're just no fun to write.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

which begs the question why only adbots arise the attention of our mods?

They don't?
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

I feel justified in not handing out any merits because I don't believe any of you deserve them. I've stated before that anyone who complains about them will be intentionally skipped over. Doesn't matter when you wrote them.

'Oh, I stopped writing good comments because the mods stopped giving out merits.' Well then you sure as heck don't deserve one. I don't care anyone says but I will not reinforce this behavior just so more people write better comments. That just makes you a merit *****. Most of reviews you guys write are as boring as a all-nighter 10-page research paper done mostly with Wikipedia. Completely uncompelling, rote and rutted bull****.

We're not noticing this the comments more or less often. I don't check the comments for games I haven't played and I sure as heck didn't play any of the new games but did a lot of work on them. You guys just like to explain our behavior in a way that justifies your self-affirming opinions.

And you know what? Merits aren't worth diddly come AG3.

I think that's code for "Let's stop talking about merits."

I guess that's kind of the point for getting merits. You don't get them if you don't deserve them.

Exactly.
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

I don't know about the games, but the game comments have become a lot more obnoxious over the past years.
One thing is the "FIRST!!111oneeleven!!" and that. That has always been there, it will most likely always be there, but another is... Well, let me give you a review of the game comments in The Last Castle:
"I don't really like these comments. While some try to be a little constructive and actually play the game, most comments are whiny and repetitive due to server strain and many users not being able to play the game, as well as various glitches in this game that is still in beta half of the time. While it is understandable that this might strain the patience of various users, I wonder why they are not just ignoring the game for the time being, instead of continuously whining and crying and raging about something the developers several times have stated they are trying to fix.
The only good thing about these comments seems to be the very few optimists in between that are being all awkwardly sugarly cute and fanboying over the game, however badly it is done."

Anyway... Well, the developers have gotten better tools over the years, and the selection seems to have gotten broader and better in general, though I have to say some of my favourites still lie in the older, more simplistic games.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I hate to go off-topic by going back on topic by bringing up a thread that went off-topic, but... well, there's some interesting nostalgia to munch on.

XVERB
XVERB
3,137 posts
Nomad

hahahha ernie, back when I was active! quite a while ago that was.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

90 merits

Were those all from game reviews, Gantic?
Sort of on the same discussion, have games been getting better or worse as time wears on?

I liked the games more back in '10. I didn't have an account in early '10, but I did visit the site occasionally to play games. Just feels nowadays that most developers are spewing out games for money instead of taking their fan base into consideration.
And has anyone looked at the related sites in the bottom section of any AG page? Some of them are pretty good. The '... In the Press' can be pretty ironical sometimes. I never noticed them before... It seems like they're relatively new.

I think they've been there ever since they added that bottom half to the site, which was about a month or two ago? Not sure. I clicked on them when I first noticed them, but no use in going there since those games are here.
Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

Were those all from game reviews, Gantic?

2 aren't. I didn't collect the other 8.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

2 aren't. I didn't collect the other 8.

You have 90 merits, not 10. What do you mean by "the other 8?"
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I believe he meant he got 88 from game reviews and the other 2 could've been from contests. The other 8 could've also been from contests. Doubt you can "collect" on game reviews.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

I believe he meant he got 88 from game reviews and the other 2 could've been from contests.

Then it was probably a typo. However, the second part of your post is somewhat confusing.

Doubt you can "collect" on game reviews.

"Collect" is a synonym for "get" or "earn," so merits can be collected.
Showing 691-705 of 1018