ForumsThe Tavernur opinin on bad grammer? i thinks bad grammer k.

70 9327
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

I personally hate the bad grammar of the internet. I mean, I can understand you typing 'u' instead of 'you' on a small flipup phone. But when you are asking questions to a community of people, I just don't like it.

Your opinion?

Also a tip: It is "You're" and not 'Your'.

• 70 Replies
santajoe
santajoe
151 posts
Nomad

It annoys me but I generally get the idea of what people are talking about even if the grammar isn't totally up to snuff.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

There's a time and place for grammar, as well as a purpose. If you expect to be taken seriously, you should always use proper grammar and punctuation. If you're casually chatting with a friend on the go, I wouldn't really expect you to follow the rules of the English language to the letter.

Definitely in a formal setting you would want to use correct language so as to not look the fool, but, I suppose some people just do not care or don't think that far ahead.

On a flash games website such as this I don't expect much. It's nice to see posts that are easy to understand, however, when the minimum age is 13 and half the adults in the U.S can't spell dictionary without spell check it would appear that you want babies to run before they can even walk.

stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

I. Hate. Bad. Grammar. Period. You seriously can't say "I think this is good because I can relate to it" rather than "i thnk this is gud cuse i cn rlt to it"

XVERB
XVERB
3,137 posts
Nomad

well, my mother and track coach both teach english, so my grammar is usually pretty good on and off the internet. but im not amazing or a NAZI.

but i could be... its grammAr not grammer...

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I don't mind if people replace "you" with "u", "are" with "r", etc., but if you spell most things wrong and you don't care to use punctuation then I most likely won't take you seriously and won't read most things you say because it's an eye sore.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Now for a post on grammar nazis:

Some people think anyone who types with good grammar is a grammar Nazi. This is not true. A grammar Nazi is someone who corrects bad grammar rather than simply writing with good grammar.

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

I abide by an unconventional similarity called Grahammer.

I. Hate. Bad. Grammar. Period.

I didn't know that each of those words could be sentences.
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

All because of the wonderful exceptions to the English language.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

depends on the level. idc if its actually understandable. but when its horibble and you have to try hard to understand one sentence its annoying and usually makes you ignore that person

DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd

I really don't care how people decide to get their message across. It's the internet, not an English class.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

I don't have any major remarks for bad grammar, people are maybe lazy. But I get easily irritated when people Type Like This, Capitalizing Ever Single Word In The Sentence

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Some people think anyone who types with good grammar is a grammar Nazi. This is not true. A grammar Nazi is someone who corrects bad grammar rather than simply writing with good grammar.

There are different variations of definitions, but hey, who am I to be pedantic?

If it's in real life, I care and mind because it irks me that people can't be bothered to at least use proper English. On the internet? So long as its readable, I'm fine with it.
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Also a tip: It is "You're" and not 'Your'.

Depending on the sentence.
Otherwise you'r(e) title would ask about you'r(e) which translates to you are opinion.
Instead of protipping, I would rather ask people to write out the full words.

Bad spelling is alright as long is it understandable. Bad grammar is alright, again as long as it is understandable. Why? Because I can't spell past ten in the evening, and I can't grammar at all.
I kinda assume it is like that with everyone to various degrees.
When it stops making sense, well, then I assume that what they were trying to communicate wasn't that important to them anyway.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

You don't command much respect in my book when you purposefully ignore proper spelling, capitalization, punctuation, grammar and syntax to the extent that it makes you look like a moron. Especially due to laziness.

For goodness sake, you're probably typing away at a keyboard. How much effort is required to knock a few keystrokes? You aren't running a frickin' Ironman triathlon.

If you believe you deserve to be taken seriously, talk coherently. Just like there is appropriate language to use in different situations, I believe there are appropriate styles of online conversation in different situations. Messages on an internet forum are supposed to be better put together than one liners flung like faeces in chatrooms. Although I prefer to speak online with all the fancy bells and whistles, I don't mind as long as people make sense. I believe talking incoherently is the problem here.

its fine talking like this but the more u corrupt ur language da more u make urself luk incoherent its not good n my opinon n it maks u luk like stoopid specially u wen lost sintax

What annoys me is that sometimes is that people seem to lack any sort of sense when they type. Espeically When It Looks Like This. It's Much Worse Then Being Plain Lazy Because Someone Actually Puts In Effort To Be A Complete Idiot.

I've made my case.

Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

i hate it when people use lowercase i's and don't use periods because it males me need to read too big of a portion and not remember what i just read which is annoying and i hate it when people use and too much and its not cool and i dont like it at all and i htae it when people mispel words but dont fix that

[/rant]

Allright, those are some of the major things I hate.

Showing 1-15 of 70