ForumsThe Tavernur opinin on bad grammer? i thinks bad grammer k.

70 9324
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

I personally hate the bad grammar of the internet. I mean, I can understand you typing 'u' instead of 'you' on a small flipup phone. But when you are asking questions to a community of people, I just don't like it.

Your opinion?

Also a tip: It is "You're" and not 'Your'.

• 70 Replies
Yodadude53
Yodadude53
1,495 posts
Nomad

If you're typing in the middle of a game like TF2, abbreviate all you want, you don't really have time. If you're on a forum and have all the time in the world to make your post, make it proper. Also, I don't see the need for bad grammar in texting or facebook etc. you have time.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

in texting

I can text into the hundreds each day, and some tend to get quite wordy; if it's between friends I guess it's alright. Unless of course you abbreviate wrongly.
johnmerz
johnmerz
536 posts
Shepherd

[quote=Aeridani]ur opinin on bad grammer? i thinks bad grammer k.[/quote]
Well, according to that definition, you're a bad gamer...

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Gamer? And no he did it just to get our attention. His grammar on the interwebz is of a pretty decent standard.
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

Actually, I'm a pretty good gamer.

Gamer? And no he did it just to get our attention. His grammar on the interwebz is of a pretty decent standard.

I think I will second this.
BoredMartian
BoredMartian
676 posts
Nomad

in texting

Well, I think texting is quite hard to do, I could use lessons. But I agree with the rest of your post, Yoda.
coleslaw35
coleslaw35
288 posts
Nomad

Bad grammar is ok in some cases, but it does get pretty annoying. That's why I usually type in good grammar because I might make something confusing by accident. I want my typing to be at least decent so people can understand what I'm saying. I may accidentally misspell a word or do a lowercase i instead of a capital I, but that's ok. Misstakes happen. People do it on purpose all the time but as long as people can understand them at least slightly, it's ok. Abbreviation is also ok for very long phrases like government to gov. or what the (Beep!) to wtf.
''LOL is u guna go 2 ta parte dis aft. non?''
Try and figure out wtf that phrase means!

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Lol, are you going to the party this afternoon?

That's more like speaking like a total jerk rather than bad grammar. Takes skillz to type like that.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

I had no problem translating that from ghetto to normal.

Takes skillz to type like that.

I agree that typing like that is just harder because you have to think of how each letter sounds instead of just following conventional words.
VinceNeille
VinceNeille
139 posts
Shepherd

Personally, I don't think bad grammar is such a problem as long as I can still read along with it. But, if you don't bother with using punctuation, (periods, commas, semi-colons, etc..) then it's much harder to understand. It's easier to type for me correctly because I'm so used to it and it's easier for others to read.

calebsi
calebsi
202 posts
Farmer

If it's horrible grammar i don't like it but if it's not that bad then I can deal with it.

CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
888 posts
Nomad

Yea bad grammar irritates me. Capitalization is the difference between helping your uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

BoredMartian
BoredMartian
676 posts
Nomad

If you feel the need to correct it all the time, I suggest you use a strategy similar to this.

notinthepie3
notinthepie3
655 posts
Nomad

i hav no idea what ur talkin bout no idea

helping your uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I think that bad grammar is sometimes ok. I mean, sometimes people are in a hurry and need to get their message across quickly, or sometimes they just don't know the correct way to same something.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I think that bad grammar is sometimes ok. I mean, sometimes people are in a hurry and need to get their message across quickly, or sometimes they just don't know the correct way to same something.

helping your uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

You do realise the above sentence has two entirely different meanings right? One is extremely sexual.
Showing 31-45 of 70