ForumsThe Tavernur opinin on bad grammer? i thinks bad grammer k.

70 9326
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

I personally hate the bad grammar of the internet. I mean, I can understand you typing 'u' instead of 'you' on a small flipup phone. But when you are asking questions to a community of people, I just don't like it.

Your opinion?

Also a tip: It is "You're" and not 'Your'.

• 70 Replies
notinthepie3
notinthepie3
655 posts
Nomad

You do realise the above sentence has two entirely different meanings right? One is extremely sexual.

That is/was the point. *face-palm*
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I don't actually see how. Shrugs.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

I don't actually see how. Shrugs.

Really?

Capitalization is the difference between helping your uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

It's supposed to be a humerous way to illustrate that not capitalizing words can lead to a misunderstanding. Imagine in one of those lame essays that everyone inevitably gets about, "What did you do over the summer?" and one sentece is, "I helped my uncle jack off a horse when he was having trouble."
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Really?

I get what the sentence means derp. What I don't get is how

I think that bad grammar is sometimes ok. I mean, sometimes people are in a hurry and need to get their message across quickly, or sometimes they just don't know the correct way to same something.

links to my point that grammar is important with relation to that sentence.
Legodude565
Legodude565
38 posts
Nomad

My opinion? I dont like it. YOu cant understand the user and its annoying. You should have grammar. It helps you later in life. If you dont have grammar when your typeing a buissness letter, you company could fail.

[quote] It's the internet,not an English class.

[/i]It MIGHT be an english class!

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

My opinion? I dont like it. YOu cant understand the user and its annoying. You should have grammar. It helps you later in life. If you dont have grammar when your typeing a buissness letter, you company could fail.

And you, need a spelling class.
cornholiobungholio
cornholiobungholio
122 posts
Nomad

When someone messes up entire words like:"your you're" "are our" "know no" "knew new" "now know" it's annoying.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

I get what the sentence means derp. What I don't get is how

How what? I'm not following you.

[quote]My opinion? I dont like it. YOu cant understand the user and its annoying. You should have grammar. It helps you later in life. If you dont have grammar when your typeing a buissness letter, you company could fail.

And you, need a spelling class.[/quote]

And grammar lessons. Just to be a grammar Nazi for once (I have to indulge sometimes, don't I? Best not to let those feelings build up...) I'll correct what you were trying to say Legodude565.

My opinion? I don't like it. You can't understand the user and it's annoying. You should have grammar, it helps you later in life. If you don't have grammar when you're typing a business letter, your company could fail. (I don't really see how not having grammar could make a company fail, although it very well could make everyone who is a recipient of one of your letters laugh at you...)
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

How what? I'm not following you.

I doubt it really matters now. Though, allow me a proud moment, because my command of English I feel, is better than most here.
dragonico
dragonico
474 posts
Nomad

Some people make mistakes on grammer a lot. I see a lot of spelling mistakes all the time.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

grammer a lot. I see a lot of spelling mistakes all the time.

Me too.
Xzaithyr
Xzaithyr
138 posts
Bard

Personally, the bad grammar and spelling skills some people show just irritates me. Can you not take the extra two seconds out of your life to spell something correctly? I don't mind, as others mentioned, if someone is replacing 'are' with 'r' and 'you' with 'u' and so on, or perhaps even if someone's native language is not English, then they deserve a little lee-way. As for the question the poster asked in specific, if your asking for help from a community of people, and use terrible grammar and awful spelling, due to laziness or not caring than you don't even deserve a response of any kind in my honest opinion. Why should someone take time out of their life to help you if your not going to take the time to spell a word properly or phrase a sentence correctly? More over....there's spell-check, and every word that you spelled wrong is underlined in red, It's handed to you on a silver platter, there's just no reason to have bad typing skills, unless the above stated reasons. I'm not perfect at spelling and grammar myself, and will make the occasional mistake or badly worded sentence that doesn't make much sense, but I almost always use my spell checker, and that's only after I've gone through and re-read my post or message, and checked it myself. I could go on all day ranting about this...but I won't, anyways that's my 'two cents' on the subject.

leo99rules
leo99rules
2,765 posts
Nomad

I have quickly learned that "Grammar Nazis" and such really can't tell if you have no grammar. I honestly never post with commas. I have horrific grammar but because I capitalize and put full stops people think I use grammar.

I am used to typing with my "Fake grammar" so it seems natural to me but if I type with no grammar I can type incredibly fast.

The line between "Annoying" and "Meh" for me is when I can understand it and when I can't understand it.

Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

I have quickly learned that "Grammar Nazis" and such really can't tell if you have no grammar. I honestly never post with commas. I have horrific grammar but because I capitalize and put full stops people think I use grammar.

I am used to typing with my "Fake grammar" so it seems natural to me but if I type with no grammar I can type incredibly fast.

The line between "Annoying" and "Meh" for me is when I can understand it and when I can't understand it.

Grammar Nazis Tend to prey on the "y u no gives me cake 2 nite" more then the "Why do you give me no Cake tonight?" people. (which should be "Why are you giving me no cake tonight?".)

And they also tend to say "Tend" instead of "tend". :P
MegaIPOD
MegaIPOD
421 posts
Shepherd

Well, Bad Grammar in a phrase or a small sentence isn't a problem, but if you just keep writing on and on and on (and on.) then it gets quite frustrating, i'm following a blog right now, there was a 12 or 13-year-old who was one of the greatest contributors, but people wouldn't like him most of the time because of his bad grammar :P

Showing 46-60 of 70