ForumsThe Tavernur opinin on bad grammer? i thinks bad grammer k.

70 9325
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

I personally hate the bad grammar of the internet. I mean, I can understand you typing 'u' instead of 'you' on a small flipup phone. But when you are asking questions to a community of people, I just don't like it.

Your opinion?

Also a tip: It is "You're" and not 'Your'.

• 70 Replies
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

[...]htae it when people mispel words but dont fix that[...]

You can't really blame them, it happens, no big deal. And you got me very confused without periods, you're right
Osumnis
Osumnis
1,147 posts
Shepherd

You can't really blame them, it happens, no big deal. And you got me very confused without periods, you're right

No periods is very annoying. But another think I don't like is when there is no question mark at the end of a question, especially on tests. I always end up putting one there myself.

Ex: Someone has five apples. If they give 3 to their friend, how many would they have left.
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

I can stand a few mistakes, though constant ignorance of spelling and grammar is kind of annoying... Misspellings and little grammar mistakes are fine (they hapen), like you said about how it's fine as long as it's understandable.

Was that on purpose?
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

[quote]Espeically When It Looks Like This. It's Much Worse Then Being Plain Lazy Because Someone Actually Puts In Effort To Be A Complete Idiot.

What about when They used to capitalize All the Nouns in a Sentence?[/quote]

That's less annoying than capitalizing every word in the sentence. Also, capitalizing every word/noun in a post is allowed, but it takes just a little more (or less) effort to break the rules...(wait for it)...by POSTING IN ALL CAPS LIKE THIS.
invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

I don't mind bad grammar at all. It's easier and faster to type.

I can stand a few mistakes, though constant ignorance of spelling and grammar is kind of annoying... Misspellings and little grammar mistakes are fine (they hapen), like you said about how it's fine as long as it's understandable.

And, most of the AG newcomers often forget the spelling and grammar in the forums. That's what happened to me.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

It's easier and faster to type.

Depends on the person, really. I type faster like this because I'm so used to it.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

I type faster like this because I'm so used to it.

Same with me. Also, some people (like Turtelman1234) respond to grammar Nazis with an incoherent post, even if they normally post with good grammar.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Also, some people (like Turtelman1234) respond to grammar Nazis with an incoherent post, even if they normally post with good grammar.

Is trolling a grammar Nazi with an incoherent post cosidered flaming I wonder...
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Is trolling a grammar Nazi with an incoherent post cosidered flaming I wonder...

Probably not, unless the content of the post would be flaming.

Also, I got a triple post glitch on my last post.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Good for you?

I will admit, the title of this thread irritated the hell of out me, I clicked on it fully prepared to aid in bashing a troll to death.

I'm not so big on punctuation in the sense, of appropriate commas, semi-colons, etc. However I do ask that if one is attempting to make a point and actually want it looked at, they at the very least have a working knowledge of capitalization, and ending punctuation. Spelling shouldn't even be an issue, since a number of browsers either come with built in spell check, or a spell check plug-in, I admit mistakes happen, but there's a difference between occasional accidents, and a consistent record of posting with terrible grammar/spelling. There even some users on this site, who seem to be able to provide a valid input that are ignored by me, simply because their formatting irks me so much.

Note that for those users who speak English as a second or in some cases a third language, the above doesn't really apply, unless you've been active for a while, after which point some of the basic rules should start taking hold.

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

Same with me. Also, some people (like Turtelman1234) respond to grammar Nazis with an incoherent post, even if they normally post with good grammar.

I have been mentioned in another thread. First AG, then my fame shall spread throughout the rest of the internet .

But I think grammar is important in certain situations. If you are debating with someone, (whether it be the internet or face-to-face) proper grammar should be used...unless you don't feel like being taken seriously.

Person 1: We be among aliens heres in this right here galaxys. Not a chance we're not alone.
Person 2: ??? Goodbye, good sir.

Now if you are just talking with a friend, (again, where this conversation takes place doesn't matter) grammar is not really necessary, unless you have a friend who is a Grammar Nazi or just a Grade A smart***.

Now if you're trolling, it depends on how you're trolling. If you're trolling Grammar Nazi style, bad grammar is more of a non-option.

Person You're Trolling: LoVe ThIs ViDeO
You: yU haves bad grammuuuuuuur,
Everyone Else: Said the Pre-School dropout.

Now if you're just trolling, then it might matter, it might not. It all depends on who you're trolling, why, and how they are responding.

It all depends on the situation you're in.
1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

There is a time and place for correct grammar. The time is most of the time. The place is mostly everywhere. My grammar isn't perfect, but I can say that people with bad grammar annoy me to an extent that makes me want to yell at them.

Even so, you have to forgive people who write or speak improperly as they have a lot to learn. Even if they are in their adult life......

gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

Don't care. I sometimes write with good grammar sometimes I write with bad grammar; it depends on my mood. Usually on forum posts I spell correctly, but like I said it depends. But generally I don't care how people type.

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

I do my best to be grammatically sound in all cases. Poor grammar and faulty spelling tend to grate on my mind when I read them.

BoredMartian
BoredMartian
676 posts
Nomad

Well, there are two ways of answering that. I could say that I dislike bad grammar, or I could say that I am a frickin' grammar nazi. Either way, are you getting my drift?

Showing 16-30 of 70