ForumsWEPRAre We alone?

252 48820
Navnlose
Navnlose
109 posts
Nomad

do you think we are alone in the universe?

• 252 Replies
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

That is a VERY close-minded view. The chances of that are practically zero. It's also slightly conceited. I am a Christian, but who am I to say God didn't make other beings too? Why make the universe so big if you're not using any of it except one small planet?

songwriter721
songwriter721
48 posts
Nomad

There are two others. The international phonetic alphabet and sign language.
OH YEA? DO ALIENS UNDERSTAND THAT?!?!?
celerylipstick
celerylipstick
51 posts
Nomad

there is zero probability of us meeting an intelligent alien race that is both reachable and that coexists within our time frame.

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Ahhh but that wasn't your point before. You said that aliens don't exist, and who said they had to be intelligent or that we had to meet them?

celerylipstick
celerylipstick
51 posts
Nomad

it's the same point i made before.

shadowalm95
shadowalm95
8 posts
Nomad

I bet there is more life out there, but we live so far from it we will never make contact.

IPwnU2Day
IPwnU2Day
395 posts
Nomad

If there is, it is VERY VERY far away and we will never meet them.

rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

That is a VERY close-minded view. The chances of that are practically zero. It's also slightly conceited.

Its not close minded to deny something without seeing proof first.

Why make the universe so big if you're not using any of it except one small planet?

We don't have to use something for it to exist.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

First off, Id like to say THIS IS A YEAR OLD!

Second, I believe there is life on other planets. But, they are not likly to be very inteligent, probably some bacteria or plant life, but its likly. The fact that the universe has billions of planets means that even if its one in a trillion chance, then yes, there is probably life on other planets.

TrayDogenzaka
TrayDogenzaka
386 posts
Nomad

Look at it this way. The UNIVERSE means Single Verse. Knowing that there are multiple demintions, and that there is MOST LIKELY more "universes" out there (which is gramatically incorrect), then that means the UNIverse contains EVERYTHING. Every dimention, every planet, solar system, galexy, everything that ever will be and has existed. The thought that in those infinite dimentions, and multiple verses, and billions of galexies with millions of soler systems with so many planets in them, how can there NOT be life? Scientists say "Oh this is too cold to support life" "Oh this is too hot" It might be too hot or cold to support OUR life, but who's to say there isn't a planet out there with life that doesn't NEED oxygen, or THRIVES in the cold/heat, or doesn't NEED water. Unless you've inspected every square inch of every planet/asteroid/ROCK out there, then you can't say "There is no life, stop asking about it."

That's how I see it.

balerion07
balerion07
2,837 posts
Peasant

*begins to tinker around with the Omniverse*

Hey, this is fun!

rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

Scientists say "Oh this is too cold to support life" "Oh this is too hot" It might be too hot or cold to support OUR life

I always found that extremely annoying, but in there defence, they can't look for life they don't understand, but then again, they are looking for life in a place they don't fully understand.
songwriter721
songwriter721
48 posts
Nomad

It might be too hot or cold to support OUR life, but who's to say there isn't a planet out there with life that doesn't NEED oxygen, or THRIVES in the cold/heat, or doesn't NEED water.
I didn't think of it that way!
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Scientists say "Oh this is too cold to support life" "Oh this is too hot" It might be too hot or cold to support OUR life, but who's to say there isn't a planet out there with life that doesn't NEED oxygen, or THRIVES in the cold/heat, or doesn't NEED water. Unless you've inspected every square inch of every planet/asteroid/ROCK out there, then you can't say "There is no life, stop asking about it."

Not quite, considering there are bacteria and small organisms that thrive in Antarctica, one of the coldest places on earth. Scientists classify places based on the characteristics of life that we have discovered, I admit there are organisms that probably don't need to adhere to this set of guidelines, but at the moment its easier to just look for life based on those characteristics.
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Even if we are talking only about life with the same needs as our own, the chances that it doesn't exist is almost zero.

Showing 151-165 of 252