ForumsWEPRAre We alone?

252 48819
Navnlose
Navnlose
109 posts
Nomad

do you think we are alone in the universe?

• 252 Replies
MusicianAzn
MusicianAzn
32 posts
Nomad

i'm thinkinking scientists are looking for life that is most like humans so its kind of something they can relate to

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

It might be too hot or cold to support OUR life, but who's to say there isn't a planet out there with life that doesn't NEED oxygen, or THRIVES in the cold/heat, or doesn't NEED water

Well, in the defence of every space program, it whould cost billions, if not trillions of dollars more to search every planet they find. Im not saying it shoulden't be done, but it should be spread out so we don't get even deaper in this dept...
balerion07
balerion07
2,837 posts
Peasant

Try quadrillions and quintillions. For too long the US has been the one country to dominate space and other nations need to share the burnden. Come on one of you other places send someone to the moon for a change.

TrayDogenzaka
TrayDogenzaka
386 posts
Nomad

Come on one of you other places send someone to the moon for a change.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive China, Russia, and Germany have been to the moon several times after us.

i'm thinkinking scientists are looking for life that is most like humans so its kind of something they can relate to

You have a good point in that scientists ARE looking for intelligent carbon-based life, but my point remains valid. On the topic of "Are We alone?", I stand firm that it's a 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000ect. chance that in this omniverse, we're alone.
balerion07
balerion07
2,837 posts
Peasant

I will correct you, because you are wrong.

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

@Tray: As balerion said, you are wrong. No-one else has ever been to the moon. Ever.

TrayDogenzaka
TrayDogenzaka
386 posts
Nomad

We rocketed straight to the Astronauts category in the Yahoo! Directory. A visit to some of the sites in the category, as well as searches on "who has walked on the moon" and "men on the moon," helped us discover your answer. So far, only 12 human beings have set foot on the moon. And they've all been from the United States.
- Yahoo answers.

Your correction is valid, and I have been pwnt.
joao99
joao99
350 posts
Shepherd

do you think we are alone in the universe?

probably we arent alone but I've never seen an "allien" so far (I think lol).
RenegadePlayer
RenegadePlayer
684 posts
Nomad

we cant be alone because out of every galaxy, and every solar system in that galaxy, every planet of that solar system, and every moon of that planet, plus asteroids, how many are there? if we are the only one we'd be like 1/1000000000000000000000000 or something like that

hojoko
hojoko
508 posts
Peasant

While the chances of us being alone are, as mentioned, infinitesimally small, the slight possibility of us being the only life in the universe does exist. We really can't know until first contact, whenever that happens.

Assuming that the Theory of Parallel Universes is correct, there should be at least one theoretical universe containing no life but that of Earth, excluding microscopic lifeforms. If we were extraordinarily unlucky (or lucky, depending on your point of view), we could be living in a universe completely devoid of extra-terrestrial life. I would hope not.

If there is no multiverse, I would hope that there is intelligent life in the abyss of space, and would believe there is.

However, if

German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

there should be at least one theoretical universe containing no life but that of Earth, excluding microscopic lifeforms.

unless it's a theoretical universe which includes many asteroids and meteoroids, which it is suggestible most universes would (assuming modern science) create the same environment and eventually similar microscopic lifeforms.

intelligent life in the abyss of space

Yeah, but since it would be happening from the same 6 billion years ago, I doubt they'd be much further at all than us -- we were incredibly lucky. Maybe intelligent, Homo~ (the genus) similar life forms, but not very much more advanced than us.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Yeah, but since it would be happening from the same 6 billion years ago, I doubt they'd be much further at all than us -- we were incredibly lucky. Maybe intelligent, Homo~ (the genus) similar life forms, but not very much more advanced than us.

If a species had developed in a similar way we had and not gone through a Dark Age, that could put them hundreds of years ahead of us.

Another possibility would be if certain ecological events were to push the developments of minds like ours to happen sooner. Such as another planets equivalent of dinosaur extinction. This could put another species thousands even millions of years ahead of us.

It's also possible that another species could have minds even more developed then ours due to there minds just developing quicker. This could also leave them possibly more advanced then us.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

If a species had developed in a similar way we had and not gone through a Dark Age, that could put them hundreds of years ahead of us.
Another possibility would be if certain ecological events were to push the developments of minds like ours to happen sooner. Such as another planets equivalent of dinosaur extinction. This could put another species thousands even millions of years ahead of us.
It's also possible that another species could have minds even more developed then ours due to there minds just developing quicker. This could also leave them possibly more advanced then us.

True, but if that is the case, then they will come to us. And also the fact that the different envirornment whould make them have a different intellegence. Example, they may be peacefull so we may have better war teck. Or, they may have a lack of chemical diversity so we may have better chemists.
German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

Another possibility would be if certain ecological events were to push the developments of minds like ours to happen sooner.

I liked this the most. The environment would be the key factor (well duh, but it would) in development.

they may be peacefull so we may have better war teck.

War is natural in the mind, so that's very very highly doubtful.
Almost every common, easily observable species has been observed in large to huge group-on-group fighting.
lack of chemical diversity

Possible, but that would completely compromise their advance.

I think that the largest factors would be the dark ages and the environment.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

War is natural in the mind, so that's very very highly doubtful.
Almost every common, easily observable species has been observed in large to huge group-on-group fighting.

Thats on earth, and like I said the enviornment whould play a part. On earth there are thousand opon thousands of species, and carnivours. If the planet had sertain facters, such as if they had alote of sun they may have more plants and few animals, thus they may not fight. Its hard to compare somthing that we no nothing about...

Possible, but that would completely compromise their advance.
I think that the largest factors would be the dark ages and the environment.

The environment effects the chemicals. Though you are right about the fact that whould hold them back almost compleatly, it was just an example. It all comes down to there inviornment.

Another point Id like to say, it also depends alote on there way of thinking. If they strive to know things, or if they make up things to explain how things work as the human race has done. If they just strive to know, then they will most likly be ahead of us. If they make things up, then it is likly that they have maney riligions and have gone threw dark ages. There are way to maney factors for us to know for shure untill we find enough life to be able to make an accurate guese.
Showing 166-180 of 252