ForumsWEPRAre We alone?

252 50173
Navnlose
Navnlose
109 posts
Nomad

do you think we are alone in the universe?

• 252 Replies
terminaato
terminaato
9 posts
Peasant

There's no way we can be alone in this universe. It can't be explained how huge universe is so there's a big possibility that universe is endless (always growing, I can't explain it myself). So how can we be alone, even if universe isn't endless? How can Earth be the only planet out of trillions others that has life on it? I can say it without any doubt that there are thousands of other life forms besides us, non-intelligent, like us and far more intelligent.

cambria
cambria
40 posts
Nomad

We can't be alone, can we? If we were then what is the point of life?

XVERB
XVERB
3,137 posts
Nomad

if we are alone what is the point of life?
mnijd00d
mnijd00d
8 posts
Nomad

Huh? The point of life is what you want it to be. It could be finding your "one true love" and living the remaining days with him/her and eventually have 2 kids, one boy and one girl, boy being the older one (to protect his little sister from straying to the wrong path), and eventually die knowing that you had a good life, or finding a key to immortality and not die, that's cool too.
tomertheking
tomertheking
1,751 posts
Jester

There's no way we can be alone in this universe. It can't be explained how huge universe is so there's a big possibility that universe is endless (always growing, I can't explain it myself). So how can we be alone, even if universe isn't endless? How can Earth be the only planet out of trillions others that has life on it? I can say it without any doubt that there are thousands of other life forms besides us, non-intelligent, like us and far more intelligent.

The chance of life ocurring ona planet is one to the power of a guite big number. The earth is a bunch of accidents that make up a place to live on peacefully.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

And yet...do you realize just how big the universe is? Not only that, but we have three places in our solar system alone besides Terra that had that rare chance of sustaining life, under a slightly different circumstance. Even if the chance is slimmer than the Powerball, the universe is immeasurable enough to gamble those chances, just enough, so that at least one planet besides Terra could be able to hold fertile life.

But who said the life had to be intelligent? It can be microbes, fungi, plants that project out of the ground, toilet-wielding rat monkeys; it doesn't matter, so long as something is actually alive!

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

I believe that there has to be some type of other life out there in the universe.. People don't realize how huge the universe actually is.. You can never know.. even if it's in the same galaxy.

But who said the life had to be intelligent? It can be microbes, fungi, plants that project out of the ground, toilet-wielding rat monkeys; it doesn't matter, so long as something is actually alive!

Yeah as long as it's made up of some type of cell(s).. then it' considered living :P
Austinn
Austinn
278 posts
Nomad

Technically no we are not they've found germs and things like that out there LOL ;D but the universe is so VAST that i really dont think we could be alone

Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

What I am worried about is if they are higher in technology. (If we do find them and if we are able to talk to them)

the_manta
the_manta
4,536 posts
Peasant

THIS SITE CAN BURN IN HELLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sites do not have souls. =]

As for the topic, who can say? the universe is, like, waaaaaay flipping huge, I doubt we'll ever see even a small fraction of its entirety. I like to think there is something out there, but not near Earth.
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Tom no need to add position 69 and a bunch of other cuss words. Anyways if there is another "living" planet out there I don't think we'll find it soon.

tomertheking
tomertheking
1,751 posts
Jester

And yet...do you realize just how big the universe is? Not only that, but we have three places in our solar system alone besides Terra that had that rare chance of sustaining life, under a slightly different circumstance. Even if the chance is slimmer than the Powerball, the universe is immeasurable enough to gamble those chances, just enough, so that at least one planet besides Terra could be able to hold fertile life.

I actually wanted to say that but I hit the Submit button to soon.

Yeah as long as it's made up of some type of cell(s).. then it' considered living :P

Now multiply that big number by the chance that cells will appear on a planet that is sustanable for one form of life or another. That is because something inteligent dosn't have to be made up of cells.
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Even with all the chance things that have to happen for life to occur, the universe is so vast, that the chances of it NOT happening somewhere else is almost impossible.

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Even with all the chance things that have to happen for life to occur, the universe is so vast, that the chances of it NOT happening somewhere else is almost impossible.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,482 posts
Shepherd

[quote]

Many people make it sound like the chances of it happening are so probable that when we actually do our best to look for life we never find any. I understand that our knowledge of how vast the universe is vs. how far we can peer into it makes sense, but some people can easily say that we're special and to be honest, I think its a valid point.
There are already some 'under speculation' planets that would take 23940329840932840329843280492830492834093284023984 years to get to (so its downright useless to consider them as it is) -- But what if they have conditions like earth and no life?
The scientific chances of life existing on a planet are quite high if you can find A) Water and B) the right temperature (Carbon being a given in the universe) -- but then why is mars red dust metal??
Showing 196-210 of 252