ForumsThe TavernIs black a colour?

115 18634
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

It's argued that black is not a colour, it is the absence of colour.

But if I go to buy a new car, I don't ask for a car that is absent of colour do I? I ask for a black car.

So which is it, is black a colour or not?

• 115 Replies
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

It depends with definition of "color" you use. If you define color as they do in science, then it's undebatably not a color because it's not reflecting any light. If you use the more widely used definition of color, then yes, we can describe an object as being black in color.

RainbowGoGangster3
RainbowGoGangster3
529 posts
Nomad

yeah its like a shade of color! its my favorite color too

acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

Black technically isn't a color. (I learned this from Halloween the movie)

Black is not a color, but a mix of all colors as one shade. When you turn off the lights, you see black. Turn them back on, you cannot see "true" black, but only the darkest colors that absorb light. There's no black in the visible spectrum of the electromagnetic spectrum. That's why it's only seen at night in the dark.

johnmerz
johnmerz
536 posts
Shepherd

I would say that black is not a color, as no light is being reflected, but I don't mind people calling it a color.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

I have a cristal at home that appears completely black at first, but if you hold it against the light, the thinner parts are dark brown and it gets darker the thicker it is. Same with my piece of obsidian.

Technically, as has already been said a few times, 'true black' isn't a colour. If you see black objects, it's just that they absorb a lot of light, but often it's just dark brown or dark purple (often in black clothes) that looks black to us.

younieboy
younieboy
297 posts
Blacksmith

of course it's a colour!
why not?
if you have a black T-shirt, then you won't say: i have a non-coloured T-shirt
*stupid joke*

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

but often it's just dark brown or dark purple (often in black clothes) that looks black to us.

what is interesting for me is those colours that appear to be black/white but are actually colours. the main colour for that in my opinion is blue.

so many times you see a shirt and think its black. you get closer and its actually really dark blue.

and sometimes the same happens with white and blue. i think its really awsome that this colour can be almost identical to the 2 opposites (and that sounded totally lame XP)
Seroph
Seroph
54 posts
Scribe

Black doesn't necessarily mean no light is reflected; humans can only see a very small span of wavelengths. For example, if you a shine pure UV light on a reflective surface, it will still appear black. Since the visible spectrum only applies to humans, I'd assume there are a lot more colors than we can perceive.

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,370 posts
Nomad

Isn't black and white not a colour because they are classed as a shade or something

AfterBurner0
AfterBurner0
896 posts
Nomad

Black is not a color, but a mix of all colors as one shade

acmed nailed it, but not entirely. Lets take red for example: If you mix black with red, a darker shade is achieved. If you mix enough black with red, you will reach a total black. The same goes for all other colors. Black is not a color, it is a shade. Black is the darkest shade of all the colors. White is also a shade, it is the lightest shade of all colors.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

acmed nailed it, but not entirely. Lets take red for example: If you mix black with red, a darker shade is achieved. If you mix enough black with red, you will reach a total black. The same goes for all other colors. Black is not a color, it is a shade. Black is the darkest shade of all the colors. White is also a shade, it is the lightest shade of all colors.

not a scientist but i dont think so. you can never get to "black" if there is a red in there. it might look like it but its not that. kind of like always going half the way to the goal. you will always be closer but you will never really be there.

or like puting a drop of ink in a glass of water and keep pouring more water. the ink will "disapear" but its molecules are still there. same with this. the "thing" that makes the red will still exist there
rikiboy639
rikiboy639
14 posts
Nomad

i think black is a colour like all the other ones why wouldn't it be a colour>?!

AfterBurner0
AfterBurner0
896 posts
Nomad

not a scientist but i dont think so. you can never get to "black" if there is a red in there. it might look like it but its not that. kind of like always going half the way to the goal. you will always be closer but you will never really be there.

What if you mix yellow and blue? You get green. You can't see yellow, you can't see blue. But they are both still in there and you see all green. Just like red and black, if you mix them, you get a darker shade. And if you mix them enough, you will get the darkest shade, pure black.

or like puting a drop of ink in a glass of water and keep pouring more water. the ink will "disapear" but its molecules are still there. same with this. the "thing" that makes the red will still exist there

True, on a molecular scale, ink will still be present. However, color is the reflection of light, if you get a large enough ratio of black to red, red will be drowned out, thus it will no longer be reflected and only black will remain.

i think black is a colour like all the other ones why wouldn't it be a colour>?!

Black is a shade.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

What if you mix yellow and blue? You get green.

And if you mix red and white, you might get a horrible colour..

Black is a shade.

Therefore I guess the cristal and obsidian I mentioned before are very dark shades of brown.

If you define colour as light of a certain wavelength, white definitely is a colour. Now black depends on how you look at it: if you say your colours are part of N={1,2,3,...}, pure black is not a colour (no wavelength), and the darker colours that appear black to us can be counted as shades of the respective colour. But if you say you look at N={0,1,2,3,...}, then you're obliged to take black (wavelength zero) as a separate colour, and darker colours are mix of black and another one.
...hope that makes sense..
liamster3
liamster3
140 posts
Nomad

no its a shade

Showing 1-15 of 115