ForumsThe TavernIs black a colour?

115 18638
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

It's argued that black is not a colour, it is the absence of colour.

But if I go to buy a new car, I don't ask for a car that is absent of colour do I? I ask for a black car.

So which is it, is black a colour or not?

• 115 Replies
omarzocco
omarzocco
280 posts
Nomad

Hhhhhmmmm I agree that it is argued but I would think of colors that r in a rainbow then u can combine those colors to get others but if u mix to much BLACK so it could be a color

Tobisper
Tobisper
407 posts
Nomad

well go here

bluebee2468
bluebee2468
114 posts
Nomad

I would consider black as a color as it is a mixture of all the other colors.

KhaoticSniper
KhaoticSniper
210 posts
Nomad

The answer to the question - "Are black and white colors?" - is one of the most debated issues about color. Ask a scientist and you'll get a reply based on physics: âBlack is not a color, white is a color.â Ask an artist or a child with crayons and you'll get another: âBlack is a color, white is not a color.â (Maybe!)

Go Here it tells ya everything about it!
http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-design/are-black-and-white-colors#Anchor-Color-47857

Daizidawizard9000
Daizidawizard9000
1,609 posts
Nomad

I would consider black as a color as it is a mixture of all the other colors.

Actually, you're wrong. White is all the colors mixed together, while black is the absence of color.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Actually, you're wrong. White is all the colors mixed together, while black is the absence of color.

Depends whether it is additive or substractive. Light, or wavelength, of the base colours added give white light (additive), while paint, for example, mixed on a white surface give black (substractive).

I think knight_34 and KhaoticSniper pretty much answered the question.
beckitten27
beckitten27
336 posts
Peasant

Black is a shade.

TomasTock
TomasTock
25 posts
Peasant

Black is not a color, but a mix of all colors as one shade.

a mix of all colors is white,. The absence of color is black. This makes black not a color.
Daizidawizard9000
Daizidawizard9000
1,609 posts
Nomad

Black is a shade

No, it isn't.
jcsimpson
jcsimpson
17 posts
Nomad

It is a shade but screw that. It has it's own crayon so it's a colour.

GreatandPowerful
GreatandPowerful
13 posts
Nomad

I'm pretty sure that any scientific technicalities claim that neither black nor white are actual colors, but I still consider it to be one for obvious reasons. ^^;

Daizidawizard9000
Daizidawizard9000
1,609 posts
Nomad

Black isn't a shade! Ok? It isn't.

mattduggan13
mattduggan13
1,795 posts
Nomad

Why is everybody arguing about this? It's a proven scientific fact that black is the absence of light, not a color.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Why is everybody arguing about this? It's a proven scientific fact that black is the absence of light, not a color.

Because some people don't think scientifically. Those who think scientifically will say no, while those who don't think scientifically will say yes.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,826 posts
Nomad

The answer as
A painter "yes"
A scientist "no"

Showing 61-75 of 115