ForumsThe TavernIs black a colour?

115 18637
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

It's argued that black is not a colour, it is the absence of colour.

But if I go to buy a new car, I don't ask for a car that is absent of colour do I? I ask for a black car.

So which is it, is black a colour or not?

• 115 Replies
always
always
36 posts
Nomad

Black is the absence of color and white is all colors combined.

Cheesehead_Man
Cheesehead_Man
19 posts
Nomad

No, a color must have some darkness or lightness.

Black has no lightness. It is a shade.

White has no darkness. It is a tint.

MasterMor
MasterMor
40 posts
Shepherd

i think that black is a color. also its proved that all the colors together eventually make black i guess that has to be a color even if people say its a shade. or maybe its a shade of grey...

TDOG422
TDOG422
528 posts
Shepherd

This forum brings back old times...watching little kid movies about how African Americans were slaves and were treated poorly and such. Ya, boring, long, something we all new about like 5 years before that...ya...

GET IT?!?!?!?!?!?!?! CAUZ WIT PPL CALED AFRICANZ AMERICANZ PPL CULERD! RAR. NOT XEPTIDL!!!!!!!!!!

hitcher017
hitcher017
62 posts
Nomad

Black is a colour. If it wasn't. How come we see it as one?

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

It depends on what view you use. In physics it isn't a colour since it doesn't reflect light. In the art world it is a color because when you put all the colors together you get black.

FALLEN950
FALLEN950
161 posts
Nomad

Colors are not what they look like, Orange, is actually every color but orange. The Orange you see, is not orange underneath, it is actually every color but orange. When a substance lacks a certain color, that is the color our eyes see when the light is reflected. Black, however, technically is not a color, because it does not reflect light. But, as xNightwish said

n the art world it is a color because when you put all the colors together you get black.
black can still be thought a color. It all just depends on what your views are.
kevin8ye
kevin8ye
572 posts
Nomad

i thkn it is

ponyo97
ponyo97
41 posts
Nomad

To tell u the truth I think not because it basically just black there really is no color to see in it

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

black can still be thought a color. It all just depends on what your views are.

You still don't understand subjectivity.
derp3101
derp3101
171 posts
Peasant

Black is just the opposite of white but are similar because both are the darkest[black],and the brightest[white].

tunablade
tunablade
200 posts
Nomad

black is not a color color is light but black is the absence of light their for not a color.

every color has a shade but black is black not a shade of anything dark brown is not black no matter how much it looks like black.

color is the reflection of light but black has no reflected light, just turn off the light and cover your eyes you now see nothing so you see black. You can make a black car look shiny by putting a shine or polish but true black has no light.

DataFrogman
DataFrogman
8 posts
Nomad

black is not a color but the absence of light and when you get black paint or color you actually get a very dark mix of colors almost indistinguishable due to the lack of light reflected

hokzwijn
hokzwijn
511 posts
Peasant

Black is a colour but white is too. It's just all colours combined in one colour.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

To keep this simple.

In scientific contexts, black is perceived when there is no visible light emitted or reflected. White is perceived when all forms of visible light are combined together.

In a layman's context, it doesn't really matter if black is a color or not. The black you see in inks, dyes and pigments don't fit the scientific description of "black", but they look black.

Black enough for your own d*** eyes.

Showing 46-60 of 115