ForumsThe TavernIs black a colour?

115 18636
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

It's argued that black is not a colour, it is the absence of colour.

But if I go to buy a new car, I don't ask for a car that is absent of colour do I? I ask for a black car.

So which is it, is black a colour or not?

• 115 Replies
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Black is not a colour, it is, as Joe96 said, a load of colours mixed together. Black is therefore a shade - not a colour.

Like I said before, this only applies to paint. When it comes to light, black is the absence of colors. You (and Joe96) should read the discussion before making an assumption on what the answer is. If you did so for this thread, you would see that the answer is different for paint and light. Also, no matter how many colors of paint you put together, you cannot achieve true black since the "black" paint will reflect light, but not much of it. True black is only possible in the complete absence of light.
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

Black is not a color, merely the absence of a reflection of light. Some people on here are arguing that white also isn't a color, but that isn't true because white is the reflection of all the colors combined.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

paint:

mix all colors (except white) and you get "black" (if you ad white you get grey).

light:

black is the absence of colors

combining all colors creates white

Evilfishy111
Evilfishy111
1,386 posts
Shepherd

id say that black isnt a colour, for that it doesnt reflect light.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,745 posts
King

What you said only applies to paint, not light. With light, combining all colors creates white, but no light is black.

Ok... never thought of that! But... was the original question of the thread not directed at 'the paint of a car', thus I was actually on the right track there?
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

But... was the original question of the thread not directed at 'the paint of a car', thus I was actually on the right track there?

That was just a specific example provided in the OP. This thread is supposed to be a general discussion about whether black is a color or not, and here's my answer:

True black is not a color, but the everyday "black" is. See my previous posts to see why I think that.
dragonico
dragonico
474 posts
Nomad

in paint, it is a color
If you use it as a scientific method, then it is not a color.

CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
888 posts
Nomad

Technically black is not a color but it is all of the colors going into an object and none are bouncing off. My art teacher says that it is a shade anyways. She teaches that gray, black, and white are shades not colors. I don't know the difference thats just her.

Highfire
Highfire
3,025 posts
Nomad

But if I go to buy a new car, I don't ask for a car that is absent of colour do I? I ask for a black car.

When Americans speak of freedom, you do not say that it's boundaries do you? Freedom is a concept, as is black as a colour. To remove freedom / black is to add boundaries / colour.

Isn't black and white not a colour because they are classed as a shade or something

Tint and shade for white and black, respectively.

Don't want to sound like a knit, but I think we're done here. ^^

- H
Slair
Slair
31 posts
Peasant

I think I'll have to agree that it depends on how you look at it. If you use the definition of 'colour' in the scientific way, then black won't be considered a colour. But otherwise you would call it a colour, I guess.

Honestly, I just think it's how you look at it.

NarutoAwesomeness28
NarutoAwesomeness28
187 posts
Nomad

People always tell me that it's a shade -.- so I think it is.

murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

Black isn't a color. Black is the absence of color.

AfterBurner0
AfterBurner0
896 posts
Nomad

Aside from miniscule spam-like posts, that was quite an epic necro there, NarutoAwesomeness28. And murasaki9, you really shouldn't continue the necro (although I am .___.). If my memory serves correctly, Schmiddy1234 got temp banned for necroing. The moral of the story is: Don't necro, or you shall unleash the thundering fury of the ever-so-watchful mods ... And so as not to be completely off-topic, I already stated my opinion on page 2 and that was back in freaking January...

Jazmoon
Jazmoon
561 posts
Peasant

My art teacher say's its a tone or something like that. She says white is too. But i'm not sure i mean its not the most colourful colour, if it is one, but how can it not be a colour. What is the definition of colour anyway? that might explain it.

greenplanet011
greenplanet011
207 posts
Nomad

Black is either all colors combined or no color at all...

Showing 31-45 of 115