ForumsWEPRSOPA protest

134 32672
Spoonodeath
Spoonodeath
3 posts
Nomad

Guys who else thinks that Armor Games should go down on Jan 18th to Protest SOPA along with these sites and more;

Google
AOL
Yahoo!
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Foursquare
PayPal
Amazon
eBay
Mozilla Firefox
Netscape
Flickr
The Huffington Post.

• 134 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

Just because the mess started in america it doesn't mean that the rest of the world can ignore it. Corporations will try to support the creation of similar laws in other countries too, especially when they'll have set a precedent in the USA.

the usual, it's importend for usa so it must be importend for the rest of the world.

well it isn't.
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

Good luck to them is all I can say. If SOPA goes ahead, the companies will remove their US presence and rehost somewhere else. I believe Russia has a number of good hubs.

All the SOPA bill will do is push people away from doing business in any US controlled jurisdiction and it's a big wide world. Everywhere else we'll continue to have the internet as it is, whilst the US will become more like China, a censored insular view of the world controlled by politicians.

The one day shut down will prove a point, but not enough to dissuade US politicians who can't accept the fact that the internet is not under their sole control.

rick073
rick073
2,754 posts
Peasant

I'm all for this! i have actually predicted what the world is like right now. a giant endless !@#$storm.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

The SOPA is an act against online piracy and thought to enforce owner rights more efficiently, right? (only trying to get an idea of things here).

I guess all the corporations mentioned in the OP will be directly hit by it? What about AG? Why should it join in the protest; out of solidarity, or are there 'ersonal' interests to defend for AG?

The one day shut down will prove a point, but not enough to dissuade US politicians who can't accept the fact that the internet is not under their sole control.

I guess it will end like that. Again I'm not so well informed about all this but it sounds logical.
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

the usual, it's importend for usa so it must be importend for the rest of the world.

well it isn't.

I don't know, I've noticed quite a trend in european nations in following the USA's acts. Just look at how we pathetically follow them in every their war.

Also if you don't care about anyone and anything the best thing to do is to lock yourself in your home and shut the windows. It's okay for us if you don't give a **** about American people's freedom of speech, but you should make sure to not care about freedom of speech of chinese people either, or human rights in iran, or torture in africa, if you want to keep a minimum of coherence.
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

Whilst Europe does often follow the actions of the US, I'm not sure they'll follow with this.

It's about profit margins and corporations lining the pockets of politicians to keep their fat profits rather than adapting to the world as it is going to be. The US politicians can slow the pace, but they can not stop the inevitable. US corporations and corporations worldwide need to adapt their business models to a brave new world.

Are the US really willing to risk the entire internet industry for the sake of those companies that can't adapt? Because that is exactly what they are doing.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

i guess (and hope) those companys are smart enoufg that they only have to go down in the usa and not have to drag the rest of the world in usa problems.

US problems in these matters have already effected other countries. We have already seen a British kid face being expedited for just liking to pirated material. (link) The PIPA could play a larger roll on this stage as it would defines downloading pirated material as illegal importing.

This is an interesting video on the subject.
Be a HERO and Help STOP SOPA Now!!
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

We have already seen a British kid face being expedited for just liking to pirated material.

I read about that. It makes a complete farce of the extradition laws here in the UK as what this student did is not illegal in the UK, yet now he faces 10 years in prison in the US.

It mirrors another case of a man here in the UK that hacked into the Pentagon. He had a learning disability of some sort and wasn't a threat, he was simply trying to find little green men (aliens) on the government computers. He's now in jail in the US with a 60 year sentence.

I suppose when you look at it like that the US can drag the rest of the world into it using extradition agreements with various nations. Not cricket really.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

Quite.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

So what is it when we give up essential liberty for someone's bottom line?
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

So what is it when we give up essential liberty for someone's bottom line?

We deserve neither liberty or product?
Schmiddy1234
Schmiddy1234
1,075 posts
Nomad

might i say Wikipedia was included too?

cbreezy623
cbreezy623
59 posts
Nomad

Well SOPA will effect you too what if YouTube goes down? Or some other community based website you like

If Google goes down YouTube probably will too. One of the worst parts nobody is talking about is SOPA wont even allow limited use. If you don't know what limited use is Google it.
waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

Google isn't going down. However, they are making their home page black and providing a link to SOPA information.

Here's a list of sites joining in the blackout

Showing 16-30 of 134