ForumsWEPRSOPA protest

134 32670
Spoonodeath
Spoonodeath
3 posts
Nomad

Guys who else thinks that Armor Games should go down on Jan 18th to Protest SOPA along with these sites and more;

Google
AOL
Yahoo!
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Foursquare
PayPal
Amazon
eBay
Mozilla Firefox
Netscape
Flickr
The Huffington Post.

• 134 Replies
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,826 posts
Nomad

guys got wikipdia they have a 24 hrs blackout in proteset of some us legislation

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Various disputes might have caused a breach in peace during different time spans,

Why should AG, a site that doesn't have pirated material join in?
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

...a site that doesn't have pirated material join in?

It's not only pirated content my dear friend, nope, any and every website that could have potential copyright issues such as links to copyrighted images or songs will be censored. If the bill passes, that is. (I apologize if someone has already stated this, I was to lazy to scroll through the pages)
This is a fairly interesting video about the bill
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Oh dang yeah I did forget....Sigh. Time to brush up on my Chinese, I foresee large amounts of time spent on Chinese cyberspace in the future.

destroyerkevin
destroyerkevin
506 posts
Nomad

I would like to give my support to these protests against SOPA even though I am from the Netherlands.
As I see this as an extremely dangerous bill that will only cause damage to the internet as we know it.

I would also like to mention to my fellow Europeans that saying that we don't have anything to fear is complete nonsense.
Because after a few years the European Union is getting serious about implementing ACTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement).
And ACTA might just end up being Europe's SOPA.
The problem with this is we don't know what it's exact contents are because they are kept secret from the public

Anyway if you live in Europe and care about internet freedom I would to advise you to actively follow the developments of ACTA

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

the only page i can't join is wikipedia the english version.
i can still use other versions then the english version of wikipedia.

Because wikipedia is a nonprofit organization. If google was to actually shut down for a day, they'd lose millions. Same for other sites. Wikipedia loses nothing for shutting down for a day, the best sites that will lose money can do is notify people of what's going on.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

If google was to actually shut down for a day, they'd lose millions. Same for other sites. Wikipedia loses nothing for shutting down for a day, the best sites that will lose money can do is notify people of what's going on.

that was point on page 2 or 3 somewhere =)
Harmless
Harmless
3 posts
Shepherd

I'm incredibly disappointed AG hasn't done something to raise awareness of SOPA. The myriad of people making the argument 'We don't care about some US bill' is precisely the reason AG should have at least blacked out their logo and put up links. ACTA basically is the European form of SOPA. It already exists, and if you want the internet to stay open and free then this is something you need to care about.
Even if all you do is learn how it affects you, don't just sit on your hands and do nothing. Political apathy is how we got into this mess in the first place.

Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

I'm incredibly disappointed AG hasn't done something to raise awareness of SOPA. The myriad of people making the argument 'We don't care about some US bill' is precisely the reason AG should have at least blacked out their logo and put up links. ACTA basically is the European form of SOPA. It already exists, and if you want the internet to stay open and free then this is something you need to care about.
Even if all you do is learn how it affects you, don't just sit on your hands and do nothing. Political apathy is how we got into this mess in the first place.

So AG should lose a days pay and in turn every games developer that AG supports should lose a days pay as well? AG is a business and a legitimate one that won't be effected by SOPA, so why should they be expected to lose money to show support to a bill that won't effect them?

The internet isn't going to stay open and free, the governments of the world want to control it and eventually they'll get their way in the end. Do you really think the politicians are listening? Really?

And as far as political apathy is concerned, it is a catch 22. They don't listen to us, so we don't listen to them, so they don't listen to us and we don't listen to them.
Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

So AG should lose a days pay and in turn every games developer that AG supports should lose a days pay as well? AG is a business and a legitimate one that won't be effected by SOPA, so why should they be expected to lose money to show support to a bill that won't effect them?

Because blacking out your logo and having links on the site totally shuts down the entire rest of the site.

The internet isn't going to stay open and free, the governments of the world want to control it and eventually they'll get their way in the end.

Yes it is, and no they won't. When you're outnumbered several hundred million to one you can't win.
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Thaboss is a little confused about this.
If an AG user say, posts the lyrics to a copyrighted song, or a link to a youtube video that infringes copyright, would AG have to delete that post or risk getting shut down/sued? And would the user face any punishment?

Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

Because blacking out your logo and having links on the site totally shuts down the entire rest of the site.

Irrelevant. It's a commercial site. We use this site for free because they manage their revenues from other companies, and they do a fine job of supporting developers with those revenues, so if they choose not to blacken their logo or remove adverts to put in links to a political campaign, that is up to them.

Yes it is, and no they won't. When you're outnumbered several hundred million to one you can't win.

Are you sure? I remember when the internet was in its infancy and we were all gradually weaning ourselves off the old modem-based BBSes. Many believed then that the internet wouldn't remain free from political control forever and now the Chinese have proved that a government can has almost full control of what their citizens see, how long do you think it will be before the West does exactly the same?

Numbers don't matter jot if you have no power to do anything. What are you going to do? Vote for the other political party in the next election in the hope that they won't do anything to the internet? We have little or no say in government other than who is voted in, after that we have to go along with with it. Unless you've got a better idea than protesting, because Camp Wall Street has worked out so well hasn't it?
Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

Irrelevant. It's a commercial site. We use this site for free because they manage their revenues from other companies, and they do a fine job of supporting developers with those revenues, so if they choose not to blacken their logo or remove adverts to put in links to a political campaign, that is up to them.

The fact that it is a commercial site is meaningless to SOPA. If SOPA or PIPA passed AG could be shut down entirely, therefore it would make more sense for them to do something about it.

now the Chinese have proved that a government can has almost full control of what their citizens see

Not really, its extremely easy to get around those blocks.

how long do you think it will be before the West does exactly the same?

A long, long time, if ever.

Numbers don't matter jot if you have no power to do anything. What are you going to do? Vote for the other political party in the next election in the hope that they won't do anything to the internet? We have little or no say in government other than who is voted in, after that we have to go along with with it.

Numbers mean a lot when you have power, which both Americans and Europeans do have. Especially with companies like Google on your side. The government of free countries cannot totally ignore the people, especially when they are already restless.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

small clip made by some friends of my.
what you think?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Google - i can still use it

Google never said they were shutting down, they said they were showing support for the protest which they are.

I would like to give my support to these protests against SOPA even though I am from the Netherlands.
As I see this as an extremely dangerous bill that will only cause damage to the internet as we know it.

Please do so. If you have a Youtube account you can upload this video to it in support.
Video Blackout

It's under creative commons so just hit the remix button and upload.

I would also like to mention to my fellow Europeans that saying that we don't have anything to fear is complete nonsense.

I agree, even without other countries creating ridiculous bills this can have an impact globally. These bills effect America's dealings on an international level.

The suggestions was to do what Google is doing. It doesn't have to be a complete shut down.

The internet isn't going to stay open and free, the governments of the world want to control it and eventually they'll get their way in the end. Do you really think the politicians are listening? Really?

I think if it happens it will result in an all out war between the government and it's people that could go to a global scale. I think the complacency the government has been getting from it's people is wearing thin. Such an act if not the final one will be one more nail in the coffin.

Numbers don't matter jot if you have no power to do anything.

Last I checked there are a number of hacker groups willing to wage all out war in such events. The people are hardly powerless.
Showing 46-60 of 134