ForumsWEPRSOPA protest

134 32673
Spoonodeath
Spoonodeath
3 posts
Nomad

Guys who else thinks that Armor Games should go down on Jan 18th to Protest SOPA along with these sites and more;

Google
AOL
Yahoo!
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Foursquare
PayPal
Amazon
eBay
Mozilla Firefox
Netscape
Flickr
The Huffington Post.

• 134 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Here's a list of sites joining in the blackout

Thank you, I was wanting to see a list of that.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Not only is this happening in America but it is GOING to be happening in Europe soon. SOPA is only a small ripple in the splash corporations are making about copyright infringement. You can tell bills like SOPA go deeper than you think simply because US legislators know something like it is going to pass. Clearly there are players in this game that are darker than you think after you read some of the statements SOPA supporters have made about these blackout protests. Not only that, but a diplomatic message was leaked between America and Spain saying that if S Pain does not pass a SOPA like bill, our ties with them will be majorly strained. Why? Who knows.

This is one huge step onto the route of America being a censored police state, not only will citizens not be able to use the internet to its full potential (especially for something like protests) but we also have the NDAA in affect as well as soldiers coming home from war.

Reminds me of something I said in another thread.

"What if a third world war isn't primarily fought with guns and bombs but more of a cyber war fought with the exchange of information and the attempt to suppress it."
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

not only will citizens not be able to use the internet to its full potential

Pretty soon every computer will have something like websense, except instead of simply blocking the links from opening, they won't show up at all. They might be doing that already through filtering, but we wouldn't know it. Anyway, in the future when everything's censored to one step above North Korea, people will think they're well-informed because they're still searching things and finding facts, but those facts will be completely bias and simplified.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Lol, on wikipedia's blackout, if you press "learn more" it takes you to a blacked out page.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Scratch that, they fixed it after about 5 minutes.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

****ing *******s. Look at this ****!

Sponsor: SOPA markup hearing to resume in February

I hope that another blackout is planned in February as well. I also hope Protect IP is also protested in a similar fashion since I believe Protect IP will be discussed either within the week or in one week.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

****ing *******s. Look at this ****!

Sorry, typo. I meant to type "Our American government is wonderful and we'll always trust that they have our bests interests in mind."
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

I don't think any form of this bill or any bill like it will be or should be accepted by the people. It's an attempt to regulate something the government has no business regulating and the cost is in freedom for everyone. All this just so some greedy SOBs can maybe make an extra buck. And Kirby is right this isn't something that will stop with America if it's allowed to pass. Everyone on a global level is at threat but such regulations. If not directly then indirectly.

partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

Google - i can still use it
AOL - i can still use it
Yahoo! - i can still use it
Facebook - i don't have facebook it never works for me =)
Twitter - i can still use it
Foursquare - dunno what it is but the site seems to be working.
PayPal - i can still use it
Amazon - i can still use it
eBay - i can still use it
Mozilla Firefox - i can still use it
Netscape - netscape = AOL but w/e, i can still use it
Flickr - flickr = yahoo but w/e, i can still use it
The Huffington Post. - i can still use it

the only page i can't join is wikipedia the english version.
i can still use other versions then the english version of wikipedia.

Also party I hope you know that they'll be going down completely, they can't just shut down in the US since they are based there

like i said BS!
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

the only page i can't join is wikipedia the english version.
i can still use other versions then the english version of wikipedia.

I can somehow.

Just Press Esc while The Page Is Loading to its Blackout Page. Or type whatever you want directly into the URL bar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

Just Press Esc while The Page Is Loading to its Blackout Page.

go's to fast. and if i keep hitting esc it never loads the 1st page =)
Or type whatever you want directly into the URL bar.

not working either. just go's to the blackout page.

but wiki works just as usual in other versions then english. so only english speaking countrys can't use it today.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Thankfully I can somehow still access it, if not, I can't proceed with my history term paper. Admittedly though ''I can't do my homework because of SOPA'' would be a first rate excuse!

partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

you can still use the chinese, Malaysian or tamil version right?

or are you only able to read english?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I can read Mandarin, but its in the older form of Mandarin, and gives me headaches reading. And I can read Malay, but the two tend not to have as much info as the English version, in fact they fall short.

And I don't understand a word of Tamil. :P

So I'm counting my lucky stars, that unlike many others, I know the existence of special fonts of wisdom called books.

comeonnow
comeonnow
17 posts
Bard

I don't think AG should go down, they should at least change the logo, to a censored AG logo

Showing 31-45 of 134