ForumsWEPRSOPA protest

134 32675
Spoonodeath
Spoonodeath
3 posts
Nomad

Guys who else thinks that Armor Games should go down on Jan 18th to Protest SOPA along with these sites and more;

Google
AOL
Yahoo!
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Foursquare
PayPal
Amazon
eBay
Mozilla Firefox
Netscape
Flickr
The Huffington Post.

• 134 Replies
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Aww, and thaboss JUST read 1984. Now it's coming true! That is so creepy!

-----
To paraphrase the arguements:
One side: let it pass and watch it fail itself.
Other side: protest, the bill is too dangerous.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Come on Mage, you have a better argument than that. Pretend you didn't post that and start again with something that has more bite. Or at least throw me a bone that you're ill or something? Can't believe for a second that what you've posted is a serious argument.

So basically your going to ignore the point of the statement because it's from a movie? What I should do is pretend your not sticking your fingers in your ears at this point and spell it out for you.

They make a grab for power and we let them take that power, we did this because we just accepted it.
That mentality needs to stop and stop NOW!
Otherwise they will keep on doing what they have been doing and exerting more control at the cost of personal freedom so long as the people just keep accepting it for the time being.
rick073
rick073
2,754 posts
Peasant

I'd rather not take the risk of letting SOPA pass and cause all sorts of damage while it staggers about bleeding out... Kill it before it gets out of the start line and minimize the pain caused.

Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

Yeah, more work times a thousand and now more pay. You keep telling yourself that. If you repeat it often enough, you'll be happy with it, so why not offer to pay the wage bill?

You don't realize how easy it is to block or shut down a site, do you? You can think it takes a ton of work all you want, it doesn't in the real world.

It is all in the detail. Read the SOPA bill instead of posting on sound bites.

SOPA is about detail, remember the bad recession the world went through isn't. Btw, I find it hilarious that you are telling me to read SOPA when you are the one who doesn't understand it.

Don't mistake me asking questions for the word you were searching for, arrogance. I'm not being arrogant or condescending

Yet there is an arrogant statement. I was spelling out the fact that you have no argument yet continue to say I'm wrong.
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

So basically your going to ignore the point of the statement because it's from a movie? What I should do is pretend your not sticking your fingers in your ears at this point and spell it out for you.

Not at all, its just that you usually offer a great argument and to be honest, referencing to a film where the guy speaks those words, then ends up retracting them isn't a great reference.

You can argue, so argue. Or shall we spend a while with a pointless tit for tat because you don't like the way I phrased it?
Rayce002
Rayce002
135 posts
Scribe

Otherwise they will keep on doing what they have been doing and exerting more control at the cost of personal freedom so long as the people just keep accepting it for the time being.

Exactly correct. If I remember correctly this also happened in WW2 with Hitler and the Nazis moving the boundaries of Germany because Britain appeased them. That ended so well for all of us.
awesomekid52
awesomekid52
5 posts
Peasant

Yesterday the Senate announced that they weren't even going to vote on it, and NOT pass it due to haters. G'day sir, and have a trolled day.http://images.google.com/imgres?q=umad+bro%3F&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=667&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=1sH4FBseV9FjGM:&imgrefurl=http://demoneyeproductions.wikia.com/wiki/File:U

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Not at all, its just that you usually offer a great argument and to be honest, referencing to a film where the guy speaks those words, then ends up retracting them isn't a great reference.

It was the sentiment of the statement that was trying to be brought across. That is the part you ignored. Anyway moving on...

Here's a pretty good video quickly covering the history of the supports and why they want SOPA and what SOPA and PIPA can do.
The video you NEED to watch about SOPA!

A Further video from Mike Mozart on the British kid who was extradited. He also further points out how the file sharing phenomena was caused by the supporters of these bills.
SOPA & PIPA HORROR STORY Exposed in the UK Richard O'Dwyer by Mike Mozart
PwnPower
PwnPower
22 posts
Peasant

Imagine life without youtube and other stuff and all because of SOPA

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Another way this could effect people in other countries. How many people from other countries use services like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.? These sites under this bill would either have to shut down or heavily censor your material regardless of where your from since they are based in the US.

This site has a summery of flaws in the bill.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/01/how-pipa-and-sopa-violate-white-house-principles-supporting-free-speech

Deth666
Deth666
653 posts
Nomad

I think the people who think it doesn't affect them are forgetting that Big countries/unions(?) like to push their own sh*t laws on other countries. SOPA/PIPA/ACTA will eventually show up in other countries but with their own acronyms.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Here's a link that's actually FOR the SOPA/PIPA. The scary part is, it still sound like a horrible idea... Even when they ridicule the fears of the companies like google and such, by saying "oh, we would NEVER take away freedom of speech.. This bill doesn't do THAT," it doesn't reassure anyone and what the companies that actually know what the internet is like say their part it seems like legitimate concerns..

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

and i thought the right of freedom speech and the right of freedom of opinion are human rights.

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

What really angered me the most was when a SOPA spokesman said, "The blackout all these websites held is selfish and an abuse of power."

The ironic part is that they're compleatly ignoring the fact that they're trying be selfish and abuse their power.
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

Well, they probably see it as an abuse of power because they think it's because you support piracy... Or something like that.

yep, creating your OWN website with your OWN ideas is piracy. they are so dumb, it deserves a never endind facepalm...

Showing 91-105 of 134