ForumsWEPRSOPA protest

134 32676
Spoonodeath
Spoonodeath
3 posts
Nomad

Guys who else thinks that Armor Games should go down on Jan 18th to Protest SOPA along with these sites and more;

Google
AOL
Yahoo!
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Foursquare
PayPal
Amazon
eBay
Mozilla Firefox
Netscape
Flickr
The Huffington Post.

• 134 Replies
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

The corporations backing it gain more power to control what is and is not seen. These corporations have gained a certain immunity they shouldn't have. That's just one of the things making this so dangerous. This sort of bill stands to set the information age back, which is exactly what the supporting corporations want since they made money and hand more control with the old format which thanks to the way the internet work was made obsolete.

One question... where is the profit in it? Piss off the entire population and where do their profits come from? In a world of entertainment wherever you look, what makes these corporations think they are the sole providers?

Thing is they will just keep squeezing the people instead of losing. Letting them push things like this through is how we got into this sort of mess in the first place.

No, they'll squeeze until the profit margins drop. You want to hurt corporations, make sure they have a bad year for profits and that isn't that hard. SOPA means **** when you think about it, its only power is profit margins and we can effect them with a single bound.

If we want this to change for future generations then the last thing we should do is accept it.

In the short term we accept it, but that is for their benefit. They want to win, hit 'em where it hurts, the bottom line. When that bottom line is lower than last year, when they realise the lost profits on the internet, they'll be begging for us all to log on and participate again.

Money makes the world go round, remove the money and the corporations sit up and listen.
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

As some of you may know, I run a gaming YouTube channel that, if these legislation passes, could be shut down. In a way, I've summed by the bill and its effects on the internet as well as included a statement AG has made themselves about this issue so yeah.

Let them do it and bankrupt themselves. Any clue what it would take to enact legal action on every single website?

Fine, let them instruct their lawyers and lets get on with it. Lets see the courts flooded because you had a song playing in your kitchen... bring it on.

You don't seem to realise that the SOFA (and indeed, the PIPA) bill is unenforceable. They can try, but it will cost them more than their companies are worth.

I know it goes against the grain, but let them attempt it and see what happens to their beloved profit margins... allow them the rope to hang themselves.

The real power of the people here is to let the corporations test their cases and see where it gets them. Then the governments will realise that it is the power of the consumer, not the electorate that allows Western civilisation to continue.

Dangerous grounds, dangerous premise, but its the way forward. They are going to do it anyway, so don't protest now. Wait for the lawsuits and the courts to fill. They'll grind the economy to a halt and only the lawyers will earn from it. Sit back and watch the backlash.
Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

In a world of entertainment wherever you look, what makes these corporations think they are the sole providers?

If SOPA passes they will be. They would have insane levels of control over what people can and can't see or access.
Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

Sorry for the double post.

Let them do it and bankrupt themselves. Any clue what it would take to enact legal action on every single website?

Fine, let them instruct their lawyers and lets get on with it. Lets see the courts flooded because you had a song playing in your kitchen... bring it on.

You don't seem to realise that the SOFA (and indeed, the PIPA) bill is unenforceable. They can try, but it will cost them more than their companies are worth.

Once again, it would cost them nothing to file the complaint, and thats all SOPA requires.

The real power of the people here is to let the corporations test their cases and see where it gets them. Then the governments will realise that it is the power of the consumer, not the electorate that allows Western civilisation to continue.

The fact that this bill even exists shows how corrupt our government is. They will continue to make money and continue not caring if we let this go.

They are going to do it anyway, so don't protest now.

They won't if enough people go against it.

Wait for the lawsuits and the courts to fill.

Won't happen.

They'll grind the economy to a halt and only the lawyers will earn from it. Sit back and watch the backlash.

They did that, years ago. Wheres the backlash?
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

Wikipedia's going down too! i just tried to go on and it wouldn't let me.

Before it finishes loading, hit the stop button. The page will load.

It's all still there, you just need to know a work around.

Kind of fitting for the present discussion, it will all be there, you just need a work around.
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

Once again, it would cost them nothing to file the complaint, and thats all SOPA requires.

Who administers it then? Who staffs it? Everything has a cost.

The fact that this bill even exists shows how corrupt our government is. They will continue to make money and continue not caring if we let this go.

Hurrah, you realised your government is corrupt! Well done you!

They won't if enough people go against it.

Comfort yourself with that thought, then wake up and embrace reality.

Won't happen.

Oh yes it will.

Did they? On this scale? Really?

I must have been sleeping, remind me.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

One question... where is the profit in it? Piss off the entire population and where do their profits come from? In a world of entertainment wherever you look, what makes these corporations think they are the sole providers?

From the law suites they file on people they know can't fight it on there own, from the forced obsolete products they will be able to more freely shove down everyone throat. This is a bid to control the flow of that entertainment and more. That's where the money comes from.

No, they'll squeeze until the profit margins drop. You want to hurt corporations, make sure they have a bad year for profits and that isn't that hard. SOPA means **** when you think about it, its only power is profit margins and we can effect them with a single bound.

Their profit margins already dropped, which they in tern blamed on piracy instead of recessions.

In the short term we accept it, but that is for their benefit. They want to win, hit 'em where it hurts, the bottom line. When that bottom line is lower than last year, when they realise the lost profits on the internet, they'll be begging for us all to log on and participate again.

Accepting it in the short term will only allow it to go on in the long term.
To paraphrase from a movie. (which quoting such material could also be putting things under risk)
"They attack...and we fall back. They assimilate the whole world...and we fall back. Well THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE! THIS FAR - NO FURTHER!!!"

Logging on and participating again will only be through their controlled system. Anything outside that control will be unacceptable.

Money makes the world go round, remove the money and the corporations sit up and listen.

Continuing the cycle of just accepting it won't do that.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

I only have a word to say on this one... bailouts.
Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

Who administers it then? Who staffs it? Everything has a cost.

If the company doesn't comply it goes to either the government or ISP and the website is either blocked or shut down. There is almost no cost involved.

Hurrah, you realised your government is corrupt! Well done you!

Most Americans knows this, few admit it. I've known this since Bush Jr. was elected, when I was 10.

Comfort yourself with that thought, then wake up and embrace reality.

I do live in reality, the people have more power when it comes to computers and internet than the US government. All it takes is the government to realize the horrifying backlash that would happen if SOPA passes. The only problem is the government is stupid on top of its corruption.

Oh yes it will.

There is no room for lawsuits in SOPA, it bypasses that completely. Therefore it won't happen.

Did they? On this scale? Really?

I must have been sleeping, remind me.

The entire worlds economy ground to a halt. In America it was around the time the housing bubble popped and unemployment skyrocketed. I don't really know what was going on elsewhere, or what year it was.
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

"They attack...and we fall back. They assimilate the whole world...and we fall back. Well THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE! THIS FAR - NO FURTHER!!!"

Star Trek? Really? That is what you want to argue a point of view from? Patrick Stewart having a hissy fit which he eventually retracts and recedes on?

Come on Mage, you have a better argument than that. Pretend you didn't post that and start again with something that has more bite. Or at least throw me a bone that you're ill or something? Can't believe for a second that what you've posted is a serious argument.
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Before it finishes loading, hit the stop button. The page will load.

It's all still there, you just need to know a work around.

That and, disabling JavaScript. That's what thaboss did temporarily to get to one page.

Just saying.

Continue on...
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

If the company doesn't comply it goes to either the government or ISP and the website is either blocked or shut down. There is almost no cost involved.

Oh yes, I remember, ISP admin works for free and so do civil servants. How stupid do I look now? Obviously nobody has to read the email, act on it or deal with the fallout. I wish I'd thought of all that before I posted it. I think I'll crawl in a hole now and make believe the world isn't round.

Most Americans knows this, few admit it. I've known this since Bush Jr. was elected, when I was 10.

Yay, generalisation. Now, prove it.

I do live in reality, the people have more power when it comes to computers and internet than the US government. All it takes is the government to realize the horrifying backlash that would happen if SOPA passes. The only problem is the government is stupid on top of its corruption.

Crikey, I'm coming close to agreeing with you on this. Good comment!

There is no room for lawsuits in SOPA, it bypasses that completely. Therefore it won't happen.

Never say never. It can happen and it will, SOPA is flawed beyond belief. Consult a legal practitioner and ask them what they think.

The entire worlds economy ground to a halt. In America it was around the time the housing bubble popped and unemployment skyrocketed. I don't really know what was going on elsewhere, or what year it was.

Oh come on, at least do some reading. What a lazy way to reply. Do you know what caused the housing crisis? Why people were over extended? Who suffered, who didn't? And you want to compare this without any knowledge of it whatsoever?

Come on, argue what you know and at least give me a bit of sport. I'll ignore the comment on the global financial crisis because seriously, you haven't a clue. You can research it, but unless you understand what preceded it, you'll be running round in circles. Concentrate on what you know... make it a fair argument/debate.
Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

Oh yes, I remember, ISP admin works for free and so do civil servants. How stupid do I look now? Obviously nobody has to read the email, act on it or deal with the fallout. I wish I'd thought of all that before I posted it. I think I'll crawl in a hole now and make believe the world isn't round.

Because the simple task of blocking s website is not part of their pay already, and its not like government workers aren't doing that already. Oh wait, they are, meaning no extra money is going anywhere.

Oh come on, at least do some reading. What a lazy way to reply. Do you know what caused the housing crisis? Why people were over extended? Who suffered, who didn't? And you want to compare this without any knowledge of it whatsoever?

Its more like I don't care about the details. I know it happened, I don't need the details. Details are also meaningless in showing it happened.

Come on, argue what you know and at least give me a bit of sport. I'll ignore the comment on the global financial crisis because seriously, you haven't a clue. You can research it, but unless you understand what preceded it, you'll be running round in circles. Concentrate on what you know... make it a fair argument/debate.

You have little to show for thinking so highly of yourself.
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

That movie is ****ing awesome so he clearly has sway using it in his post.

Bourne Identity is brilliant, so I reserve the right to shoot you.

Think of it this way. If we allow such a bill that takes away our rights so easily, what will that say to the shadows hiding in the corner? They'll see it as easy to manipulate the people enough to the point where the entire country becomes something like a police state where everything you own and do and say is liable for a crime against your 'country'. Showing these corrupt corporations that we the people can unite and defeat such a destructive bill will force them to rethink their strategies when it comes to their money whoring self-serving policies. Allowing this to happen will censor the internet to the point where, when that fateful day comes when we do become a police state (hopefully not), we wont be able to use a tool like the internet for something along the lines of the Egyptian revolutions. With something like this passing, that will never happen again.

You're missing my point. Let them do it. We suffer in the short term. Let them see their profit margins tumble and then come back begging us to resume service.

They don't understand what the world had become and they're trying to earn profits from old school practises, but it isn't going to work. They need a lesson in humility so who is up for giving it to them with both barrels?

Can't you see? The internet is the one tool we people have to communicate effectively with each other about anything and everything. If you ask me, they are scared that something like Egypt could happen if things get so corrupt that the American population starts revolting.

Can't you see, the internet is not the be all and end all. Despite the modern obsession, I was discussing deals with people in California years before the internet rose it's ugly head. The internet is what is, but it could be better. These politicians are forcing through something that eventually will make the internet untouchable. We all have to hold our nerve and make do with little internet buzz for a while, but when enough of the US economy is trashed by the fall in the online income, what do you think the response will be?
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

Because the simple task of blocking s website is not part of their pay already, and its not like government workers aren't doing that already. Oh wait, they are, meaning no extra money is going anywhere.

Yeah, more work times a thousand and now more pay. You keep telling yourself that. If you repeat it often enough, you'll be happy with it, so why not offer to pay the wage bill?

Its more like I don't care about the details. I know it happened, I don't need the details. Details are also meaningless in showing it happened.

It is all in the detail. Read the SOPA bill instead of posting on sound bites.

You have little to show for thinking so highly of yourself.

I'm a low class, eight bit working man with little to offer the world but an opinion. How about you? Don't mistake me asking questions for the word you were searching for, arrogance. I'm not being arrogant or condescending, I'm far too busy thinking of things that you would understand.

And if you don't understand the humour in what I'm posting, give up and watch Baywatch. At least you'll get to have a wank.
Showing 76-90 of 134