ForumsThe TavernCaptcha's failing?

99 17525
Eman950
Eman950
42 posts
Nomad

So I originally thought it would help reduce the spam.

Problem is the spam is continuing even more furiously. It makes me think there real people after all.

Truth? or can spam bot read out a captcha?

• 99 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Actually, it wouldn't be all that terrible if it were in the discussions because it would get flagged by a few dozen people who are in the discussion. Thus, all the flags would make it easier to get the spam out of the discussion...... And now to type in the pointless CAPTCHA.........

I think you should know by now that flagging does almost nothing, because flagging directs the post to the admins, not mods, and we all know the admins tend not to do anything about problems this low their radar.

Whereas spam threads themselves already scream out loud their nature when you open a subforum.

Browsing through 10 pages of crap takes even longer than entering the CAPTCHA. I still think the spam is a big deal and AG really should have a permanent solution for it by now.

The internet still has not come up with a solution that is full proof for years; I don't think AG can do it in a few days.

Takes what, at most a minute to search through the pages or do a Captcha? It's not a major problem for people who post little, and in either case, most people don't post much these days.

I'm still wagering it's all a joke. If not, I'll just hope AG implements honeypotting.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Seeing as how the livestream advertising has been going on for six or seven months now, for it to be some April Fools joke would require massive dedication on AGs part. And frankly, I don't think they could pull it off. And even if they did, I'd be pissed that they spent their time screwing around with adbots rather than say, focusing on AG3 or trying to solve actual problems.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Seeing as how the livestream advertising has been going on for six or seven months now,

The Forum influx only started in the past week....

I'd be pissed that they spent their time screwing around with adbots rather than say, focusing on AG3 or trying to solve actual problems.

Everyone was pissed last year, but it was all happy happy after a while.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

I've got how the spam bots do it, they just do the "im human" thing once, get the code, keep the code, and it will work multiple times. Such a simple flaw and here I was disabling Javascript and rolling back my IE to find the exploit.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

Sorry, my explamation was incorrect, the codes work but you can't use one twice, you need to gather up ALOT of captcha codes and just use a new one each post, I think they could have a database of generated, working captcha codes or something for the spambots to use.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Everyone was pissed last year, but it was all happy happy after a while.

This is taking it to a whole new level man.

Just accidentally refreshed my epic post proposing six solutions to the Adbot Problem. D:

I've got how the spam bots do it, they just do the "im human" thing once, get the code, keep the code, and it will work multiple times. Such a simple flaw and here I was disabling Javascript and rolling back my IE to find the exploit.

I'm going to try that out. The ReCAPTCHA words for me right now are: nephew shookya.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Didn't work. Though perhaps I misunderstood you?

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

/Quote/ I'm going to try that out. The ReCAPTCHA words for me right now are: nephew shookya. /Quote/
Sorry I dont remember how to do the real quotes, anyways, its not the words that you use, it's the code you get after you type in the words and you get a code... I think you need to disable java for it to work cause I'm using the overly simplified and consequently flawed captcha since java is not enabled atm on my cpu.
So here's what I gathered so far, java must be disabled, no code can be used twice, and the codes could be hoarded and used at later times.

Btw here's what the exploitabe code looks like (this one has been already used, if you want I coud post one I didn't use so you could test it)
03AHJ_Vutr9S-dbxDeFIFPKyQ1IOe63JxrMtMa_JejRClx9Q6wwlo7FOjjMhQ7U6KM6d04C5V_DfJuQessEC67m-JjyHVFNsmlBXD8xrbfd8tEo5r90ysxvnRMRFrCQXEirQmwQJFyRxMi

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

For those brave testers of my found exploit, here are some of my codes, I suggest you post before you try the code since they only work once and someone may have used it already.
03AHJ_Vuvpdox1MnRVwgyuIY1_ZRuL8QReN1rCzl6P2yNCDu7tISTG1TPzfI8W-B2Pqhe-ZeBCatsmVgAuoadGQgmqo0TfD2mxo015RCSPr5BryBFkzutMvznZqz0rV_znC-PZIY4cPjmM

03AHJ_VusrWZ9tBSig-t_vK9si2SPYAOzF7nzpLrCgu1RpiWiHvg4bQdumSCMi-YAfaO2DvK112DLcHrHuDgyoxuI0PDNt5oQ7rxwoR9OyBVWUvD4Yuu-pMgXO_8Okf7LHnw6JETgNuQ7S

VuuYDrCGRErfqMr5AYoVFXCTKdFJmHZO947f4udENqWQiSYgkQK49hFPojyALI7U-aIyIm7DhhoZgAKVNJUcyCb2YUB0CIa0W_4HYrk3FY_V4qxU3IDptkEAOIoWXti2VwPG8X2X

03AHJ_Vuta6Jf3kB8QR0OfpMuz7DB3-HOIpf5ZlgNCDcIvuWA8MvxVIpyv6gBqWhaUqowmgC0kCvd9CEYqSHsBxc4i79eIw9HFr2guKCw-QgcLCMXkN8gFLvQPAziX1GKuPCXYI8gnp2xQ

Schmiddy1234
Schmiddy1234
1,075 posts
Nomad

@Somewhat49
What in the world are those code thingamajigs?

murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

Maybe CAPTCHA's not such a great idea? Or no? Or yes?

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

/Quote/What in the world are those code thingamajigs?/Quote/
They are the thing you have to enter if you disable java script and use captcha, its also the codes the bots use to exploit captcha so there's no huamns involved.
/Quote/ Maybe CAPTCHA's not such a great idea? Or no? Or yes? /Quote/
As you can see from what I found in under 10 minutes of playing around to find exploits (no googling either) it's not such a good system because it's so easy to bypass.

murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

So, CAPTCHA has failed, then.
*taps playing softly in the background*
Well, well...

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

@Somewhat49: Here's how to do quotes:

[ quote ]what you want to quote[ /quote ]
But without the spaces inside the brackets.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

/Quote/ So, CAPTCHA has failed, then./Quote/
Indeed it has, which is reall funny because sometimes it takes me 10 tries before I couldcorrectly read the pics, which is quite stupid since really those spambots that read pics are REALLY hard to make and therefore don't come cheap.

Showing 16-30 of 99