ForumsThe TavernCaptcha's failing?

99 17520
Eman950
Eman950
42 posts
Nomad

So I originally thought it would help reduce the spam.

Problem is the spam is continuing even more furiously. It makes me think there real people after all.

Truth? or can spam bot read out a captcha?

• 99 Replies
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

I feel like the only reason there is no longer constant spam is that all the accounts have been banned and there's nolonger codes. I have a feeling another spam attack is not far away in the future.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

there won't be spam

There already is spam, and the CAPTCHA isn't having any effect on it.

I feel like the only reason there is no longer constant spam

Look in other sections of the forums. The constant spam has not stopped, it just hasn't been posted in the Tavern for some time; but look at the first 7 pages of the AG3 forum.
AfterBurner0
AfterBurner0
896 posts
Nomad

In other words, you're more likely to pass the CAPTCHA if you're a bot. So, with that being said, the caption about the CAPTCHA should read "Are you a bot?"

Ernie, your posts are always hilarious. XD But it's actually a good idea. To pass the test, you have to fail the test. And to fail the test, you have to pass the test. Genius!
-
I think the spam attacks stopped finaly.... It feels nice to not have to sift through spam.

The spam is not even close to stopped. I don't know where you got that idea.
-
Now to enter the CAPTCHA... ummm... WHAT THE HECK??? A letter in the CAPTCHA has an accent mark above it... now I have to refresh the whole stinkin' page.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

The spam is not even close to stopped. I don't know where you got that idea.

Sorry, I was in my Tavern bubble so I didn't see the spam elsewhere, I think the spam has at least slowed, only 3 posts in S&S in 3 minutes, so thats about 1 post a minute for that thread, and 0pm for tavern.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

now I have to refresh the whole stinkin' page.

You don't have to refresh the page. You just have to refresh the CAPTCHA, which doesn't affect the rest of the page.

To pass the test, you have to fail the test. And to fail the test, you have to pass the test.

It would be easy for humans to intentionally fail the test, but a bot could easily be programmed to fail properly.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

the thing about the CAPTRA is that killersup thought that it was just a advertisment.so he never pressed on it.killersup couldn't post for a day till he fingured how it worked.and it never stopped spammers so maybe(prolly not) the mods and admins will take it out becuase if you forget to type the letters one time then your whole post is ruined.

Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

A letter in the CAPTCHA has an accent mark

Actually, I got that one and I just ignored the accent mark and typed in the letters that were shown. It accepted it.
AfterBurner0
AfterBurner0
896 posts
Nomad

You don't have to refresh the page. You just have to refresh the CAPTCHA, which doesn't affect the rest of the page.

Oh... You're right...

It would be easy for humans to intentionally fail the test, but a bot could easily be programmed to fail properly.

True, true.

the thing about the CAPTRA is that killersup thought that it was just a advertisment.so he never pressed on it.killersup couldn't post for a day till he fingured how it worked.

Hahahahahahaha. Punk'd.

if you forget to type the letters one time then your whole post is ruined.

Yup. It happened to me. and it wuz pesky. But just copy your whole post, then if you fail the test, you can paste your post back in and try again.

Actually, I got that one and I just ignored the accent mark and typed in the letters that were shown. It accepted it.

Hmm... cool.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

so thats about 1 post a minute for that thread

One bot can't post any faster than once every 30 seconds. But one spam post every minute for 20 minutes creates an entire page of spam.

In other words, 1 post per minute is not slow. Even if you are a bot.

but a bot could easily be programmed to fail properly.

Not necessarily. If the entire test depends on reading the words and spelling them incorrectly, a bot would not be able to do it unless it were programmed to read words in images.

and it never stopped spammers so maybe

It occasionally stops humans but not bots. Go figure. It does the exact opposite of what it's supposed to do.

the mods and admins will take it out

The mods have no control over it. Just the admins.

But it probably will be taken out because it's a complete waste of space and time and it's failed utterly to what it was intended to do.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Not necessarily. If the entire test depends on reading the words and spelling them incorrectly, a bot would not be able to do it unless it were programmed to read words in images.

A bot could simply type in gibberish.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Look on the bright side people! We are helping digitize books!

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

It's AG's April Fools' joke. Come on, no mod action, "bots" can post through the CAPTCHA... life will be normal in 2 days.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

As much as I thought the CAPTCHA would work, it isn't. It is possible to program bots that can squeeze their way past the CAPTCHA, which is what we're seeing here.

Veksing
Veksing
1,676 posts
Peasant

It's AG's April Fools' joke. Come on, no mod action, "bots" can post through the CAPTCHA... life will be normal in 2 days.

I hope your right. I doubt it though.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Others think this too (including me), and I think Sonatavarius was the first to think that this is the April Fools joke. However, there are also opponents to this theory. Specifically, Ernie15 thinks the adbots are real. I was looking for the post of his that showed this opinion, but it took too long, so I will post that later when I find it.
Showing 46-60 of 99