ForumsThe TavernCaptcha's failing?

99 17523
Eman950
Eman950
42 posts
Nomad

So I originally thought it would help reduce the spam.

Problem is the spam is continuing even more furiously. It makes me think there real people after all.

Truth? or can spam bot read out a captcha?

• 99 Replies
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

I found the post by Ernie15 showing that he thinks the adbots aren't the April Fools joke:

[quote]what if all the spaming is an AG joke?....

No, I've searched many of the adbots' names on Google. They advertise on other sites under the same names, and they have the same profile names on the adbot "HQ".

It wouldn't be much of a prank, anyway. Just more work for the mods and the admins.[/quote]
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

If this was an April fools joke, everyone would be listening to Rick Astley.

These websites are dangerously untrustworthy. There is no way we would use actual streaming spam sites in an April fools prank.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

A bot could simply type in gibberish.

The test would only work if the words typed in were similar but not identical to those given.

It is possible to program bots that can squeeze their way past the CAPTCHA, which is what we're seeing here.

What we're seeing here is adbots parading down CAPTCHA Street. Seriously, it looks like they just tossed the CAPTCHA out of a skyscraper penthouse window and laughed as it landed on the pavement.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Apparently, the spam is so bad that Gantic created a Temporary Support and Suggestions thread.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Looking on the right side of the main community page where it says recent posts, I found a bunch of spams. Here, here, here, here, and here. It's pretty safe to say that captcha failed.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

Looking on the right side of the main community page where it says recent posts, I found a bunch of spams. Here, here, here, here, and here. It's pretty safe to say that captcha failed.
Come on, no mod action, "bots" can post through the CAPTCHA...
It is possible to program bots that can squeeze their way past the CAPTCHA, which is what we're seeing here.

*facepalm* I did a whole test and even posted it on multiple threads and topics on how the bots get through captcha, why no one reads it?? I have tested and proven that if you disable java, you get a captcha that requires you to enter a code to submit a post, you could collect and hoard these codes for later use (like for a spam bot to use), the codes could only be used once though so you need to get alot of them.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

[quote]Looking on the right side of the main community page where it says recent posts, I found a bunch of spams. Here, here, here, here, and here. It's pretty safe to say that captcha failed.

Come on, no mod action, "bots" can post through the CAPTCHA...

*facepalm* I did a whole test and even posted it on multiple threads and topics on how the bots get through captcha, why no one reads it?? I have tested and proven that if you disable java, you get a captcha that requires you to enter a code to submit a post, you could collect and hoard these codes for later use (like for a spam bot to use), the codes could only be used once though so you need to get alot of them.[/quote]

What is it about the posts you quoted that made you think the posters failed to read your post?
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

What is it about the posts you quoted that made you think the posters failed to read your post?

Oh wtf.... I seriously read the posts wrong... Wow how did I do that? Sorry for those I quoted and semi critisized, my mistake here.
Schmiddy1234
Schmiddy1234
1,075 posts
Nomad

Dang... some of those images are dang hard :O they are just blurry randomness i find myself hitting the new challege button.... quite often

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

@ Schmiddy1234
Lol, I know what you mean. I'm having to take my time because I'm cut-n-pasting all of my responses before scrolling for a captcha I can read.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

At least the bots haven't started invading regular threads... Yet...

[knocks on wood]

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

Wow, I haven't been on the forums in one week and this is what happens?
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvpqtbDOV71qzrw7uo1_500.png

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

At least the bots haven't started invading regular threads... Yet...

But they've completely taken over certain sections of the forums, like Forum Games, which has over 1000 adbot threads floating around in it.
acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

I like the registration lock down thing. It makes this feel like a real emergency:

Justin: THE ADBOTS ARE BACK! THEY'RE INVADING OUR LAND!
Officer Frank: What are we gonna do Sheriff?
Sheriff Strop: *approaches from the dark* Shut down everything. We go into lockdown.

*lockdown dramatic music and montage*

*acmed pats self on back*

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

I like the registration lock down thing. It makes this feel like a real emergency:
Justin: THE ADBOTS ARE BACK! THEY'RE INVADING OUR LAND!
Officer Frank: What are we gonna do Sheriff?
Sheriff Strop: *approaches from the dark* Shut down everything. We go into lockdown.
*lockdown dramatic music and montage*
*acmed pats self on back*

that would acually be a really fun story to write.hmmmm killersup has a idea.....but he would need permission from strop,devoidless,freank,justin, and a squirrel with rabbies.
seriously though if this is still a problem in 2 days then killersup will write a big action story about it.seems fun
Showing 61-75 of 99