ForumsThe TavernQuestions you just can't answer

155 21944
TheDracomancer
TheDracomancer
56 posts
Farmer

Any questions you have that just can't be answered?

Like: What is the speed of darkness?

• 155 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

A.D stands for "Anno Domini" which is Latin for "The year of our Lord."
It does not stand for after death.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

A.D stands for "Anno Domini" which is Latin for "The year of our Lord."
It does not stand for after death.

Which is fortunate, since the other assumption means that he would have lived for less then a year, assuming he was not born in the "Before".

Jesus did exist. It's a fact that atheists can't deny. The real question would be "Was Jesus really the son of God, or was he just making everything up?"

And why not? I can deny it all I want. Why would he have to exist?
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Which is fortunate, since the other assumption means that he would have lived for less then a year, assuming he was not born in the "Before".

Which reminds me.

If the "Jesus of Nazareth" portrayed in the Bible did exist, he would have been born around 6 C.E. Jesus was a common name back then, so having a Jew named Jesus who was born in Nazareth is hardly a special claim.

The matrix.... I sometimes fear that it's true. So, am I the only real person? Are you all fake? Who is watching me? Why am I here?

I don't see the relevance of this question. Either you freak out and meaninglessly ponder whether or not you actually exist and are paranoid over if people are real or if there's a purpose, or you just accept that this is what is and think on it in your free time and don't get too serious about it.
omarzocco
omarzocco
280 posts
Nomad

hopefully nobody has asked this one

does our eyesite go strait or does it arc ?

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

I don't know the specifics of eye-brain interaction and the processing that occurs, but for practical purposes, you see straight. Eyesight is only possible due to light. Light travels in straight lines. Light can be bent, thought, due to refraction, gravitational lensing, etc. Heck, your eyes have lenses. Using a different example, the sun. When you see the sunrise or the sunset, that light is bent due to atmospheric refraction so you see the sun rise before it actually rises and you see the sun set after it actually sets.

If you want to consider your definition of straight and the curvature of the universe well, that you can't answer.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

I don't see the relevance of this question. Either you freak out and meaninglessly ponder whether or not you actually exist and are paranoid over if people are real or if there's a purpose, or you just accept that this is what is and think on it in your free time and don't get too serious about it.

I do, it's a question that can not be answered. It's a simple concept, te guy makes a forum with a topic and we post thigs relevant to it. Get with the program.
Xavierthe9
Xavierthe9
155 posts
Farmer

Does the thing we call the "Universe" really have no boundaries? I'm asking because, (and read on if you dare because this goes more into pure theory with a bit of common sense) The Universe literaly means "Everything". So if you think of things like that, what if there are more of these "universes", as in larger bodies that contain galaxies, that contain solar systems, that contain stars and planets? and THEN comes the Universe in its true definition. What I'm saying is that the Universe as we know it may just be too large to measure right now,and it really DOES have a boundary, and then those "universes" are in THE Universe.
Sorry for the rant, but i've always wanted to bring that point up. :P

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Does the thing we call the "Universe" really have no boundaries? I'm asking because, (and read on if you dare because this goes more into pure theory with a bit of common sense) The Universe literaly means "Everything". So if you think of things like that, what if there are more of these "universes", as in larger bodies that contain galaxies, that contain solar systems, that contain stars and planets? and THEN comes the Universe in its true definition. What I'm saying is that the Universe as we know it may just be too large to measure right now,and it really DOES have a boundary, and then those "universes" are in THE Universe.
Sorry for the rant, but i've always wanted to bring that point up. :P

Either THE universe is indeed endless and contains an endless number of universes, galaxies etc.; or it has boundaries, which inevitably means there's an endless void around it. In both cases, it's not worth thinking too much about it; believe in my experience. Same as with beginning and end, or not, of 'time'...
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

or it has boundaries, which inevitably means there's an endless void around it.

What would happen if you threw a ball into the endless void?
devin4444
devin4444
80 posts
Peasant

[/i]What wouldhappen if you threw a ball into the endless void?
that is impossible,in fact,that is not real.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

[quote]What would happen if you threw a ball into the endless void?

that is impossible,in fact,that is not real.[/quote]
Impossible? How so?

If we assume that there is an endless void at the border of the known universe, there might be single atoms diffusing from the universe but apart of that it would be, well, void; so there would be no resistance and force coming from the void itself. However, I'm not sure but I think the influence of gravitational forces aren't limited, they only grow infinitesimally weak at long distances. But that would mean that no matter how far away the ball is, it will always be slightly influenced by gravitational forces from the universe, even though after a certain time it will practically fly straight on with a constant speed for eternity.

Any physician here to confirm or correct that?...
dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,917 posts
Peasant

Are we human, or are we dancer?

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

dancer?

...dancer? What?

Any physician here to confirm or correct that?...

I'll go call Strop, here's a doctor.

The word you want is "Physicist"

Anyways...what you said sounds reasonable to me. My answer would have been "it would move at the same relative speed at which your threw it forever." but oh well.
phsyco123
phsyco123
64 posts
Nomad

wich wins an immovible object or an unstoppable force

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

wich wins an immovible object or an unstoppable force

The unstoppable force goes around (or through) the immovable object. The force is not stopped and the object is not moved.
Showing 136-150 of 155