ForumsThe TavernQuestions you just can't answer

155 21943
TheDracomancer
TheDracomancer
56 posts
Farmer

Any questions you have that just can't be answered?

Like: What is the speed of darkness?

• 155 Replies
lightcrux
lightcrux
622 posts
Peasant

No, you'll be looking at your eyelids.

There is no light entering your pupil so you can neither "see" anything nor "look" at your eyelids.
NOFMAF
NOFMAF
60 posts
Treasurer

why does clothes get darker when you spill water on them?

djme
djme
125 posts
Shepherd

who is john gult

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

There is no light entering your pupil so you can neither "see" anything nor "look" at your eyelids.

Lids aren't 100% light permeable, you'll still have a very small fraction of the light that goes through (try looking at a light bulb with closed eyes). Except when it's dark of course.

Usually when something gets darker that means it absorbs more light, that means somehow wet cloth absorbs more light.
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

Yes there is, and even if there is literally NO LIGHT, then you wouldn't technically be "looking" at something. You just wouldn't be "looking" at all. So no, the act of looking is dependent on the fact that there is light imput.
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

Are myths actually based on Reality?

depends on the myth?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

I was able to find this answer here.

An object made up of several layers interact differently with the light and then the overall perception of colour will be dependent on the overall nature of light received by the eyes from the object. If you have some cotton fabric there are indeed two such layers, one of the loose surface fibers and the second one of the actual surface of cloth. The upper layer doesn't absorb significantly waves of any particular wavelengths, they only scatter the light falling on them. When this scattered light adds up to the reflected light from the opaque object, the result is the perception of a lighter tint. When the layer is removed, like if the cloth is soaked in water, the color is perceived to be darker.

Most object have rough surfaces so we "see" the object by light from all directions that is reflected (diffuse reflection) in the direction of our eyes. When an objects is wet the water fills in the roughness so the light incident on it is reflected in only one direction like from a mirror or a piece of glass, so usually less light is reflected in the direction of our eyes so it looks darker. Objects that already have smooth shiny surfaces do not look darker when wet.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Why does Black absorb light, and White Reflect it?

White is the presence of all the visible wavelengths while black is the absence of them. So what we perceive as white would be the reflection of all visible wavelengths, while what we perceive as black would be the absorption of those wavelengths.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

I remember hearing of a group who managed to make a thin block of gold, almost completely black, by making it extremely spongious on a nanolevel, not randomly but in a way that it 'trapped' a big part of the incoming wavelength.
The colour emitted by a certain material depends on its structure, so anything dark has a structure that absorbs wavelengths, as Mage said.

If you're interested in colours, I found a site that seems good, especially interesting is this article explaining the colours and iridescence in butterfly wings.

TheGr8est
TheGr8est
703 posts
Nomad

What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Because such a thing is not very possible in the slightest, it is hard for my brain to get around to the problem whenever someone asks me it. My interpretation is either the whole world blows up, in which the force is stopped and the object in moved, or the force basically takes the easy way out and goes around the object.
psychoraven
psychoraven
311 posts
Peasant

Because such a thing is not very possible in the slightest, it is hard for my brain to get around to the problem whenever someone asks me it. My interpretation is either the whole world blows up, in which the force is stopped and the object in moved, or the force basically takes the easy way out and goes around the object.

Joker and Batman XD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oPsvq81n2A
**** jokers sick !
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

IMO, nothing. The unstoppable force will impact with an infinitely big force, while the immovable object will counter with an infinitely big force in the opposite direction:

(infinite)+(-infinite)=0

Both will basically stand still after impact. But that's just my grain of salt.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

How come when you "Invent" a new sound/letter it just sounds like a grunt?

All the sounds worth using have already been invented.
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

What's the speed of thought? If this has already been mentioned then, how deep is a black hole? If a black hole really exists in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle then is time travel a real possibility? Why is the color royal blue not blue?

Showing 61-75 of 155