ForumsThe TavernQuestions you just can't answer

155 21950
TheDracomancer
TheDracomancer
56 posts
Farmer

Any questions you have that just can't be answered?

Like: What is the speed of darkness?

• 155 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

What's the speed of thought?

The speed of thought is how long it takes the neurons in your brain to fire and reach the next one. I forget the exact number though.

If a black hole really exists in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle

It doesn't. No black hole exists in the Bermuda triangle. Obviously, otherwise the earth would be here and would have long been sucked into it.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Why is the color royal blue not blue?

Since when is royal blue not blue? Last time I checked it was as blue as it was royal. And it's pretty royal.
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Thanks Kasic, that was very tactful of you and I hope you heard the tinge of sarcasm I used with my "Black Hole" question, I'm easily amused today.

My serious question was the last one about the naming of royal blue blue since it's really purple. Why isn't it just named royal purple?

I was torn between asking what the speed of taste or the speed of thought was and opted for thought.

Just a light-hearted question so, for us humans, how long does it take for us to smell and then taste something before our brain can recognize and send to our conscious mind the correct answer? I'm just curious.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

What's the speed of thought?

There is not set speed, you're brain speeds and slows down neurons based on the act it's doing.

how deep is a black hole?

Black holes don't all have the same mass, so it varies.

If a black hole really exists in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle then is time travel a real possibility?

1) The center of the Bermuda Triangle is not a black hole because
A) We've been there
B) If it was, we wouldn't be alive.

2) I don't see the correlation between having a black hole somewhere, and time travel, but still
A) You can't survive a trip through a black hole
B) There's no logic behind a black hole being a method of time
travel
C) The only time travel that could be caused with a black hole
would relate to Einstein's theory of general relativity, but you don't
need a black hole for that.

Why is the color royal blue not blue?

Because it is a shade of blue?

http://www.piggybedspreads.com/ebay/images/RoyalBlue1.jpg
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

My serious question was the last one about the naming of royal blue blue since it's really purple. Why isn't it just named royal purple?

The color name "royal blue" is used very loosely, and it tends to be different depending on the object in question. Most of the time, it's used to describe the rich blue color seen in blue pens. Sometimes you will see it describing the deep bluish-indigo color it originally described, but in this day and age most people accept it just as a fancy way to describe a rich, hearty blue.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

The speed of thought is how long it takes the neurons in your brain to fire and reach the next one. I forget the exact number though.

The top speed is 250 MPH I think.

Oh, I guess someone was misinformed when they came up with the name.
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Since when is royal blue not blue? Last time I checked it was as blue as it was royal. And it's pretty royal.

@ Ernie15, I just Wiki'd the color and I'm going with the traditional color that had (more than just a tinge of purple)more purple added to a base of deep dark blue not the cobalt blue that defines the WWW color.
I can't provide the url for the interactive color wheel but it's the color they call Winsor.
JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,747 posts
Peasant

What does it feel like to be strechted by a black hole?

When you're enough close to it, you'll be completly unable to move and then feel nothing.

Is there a question that an omniscient entity couldn't answer?

Just if the entity is unable to communicate.

Is space infinite?

Einstein said no.

--

If you go back in time and kill your parents, will you then exist?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

If you go back in time and kill your parents, will you then exist?

There's no time travel so no question, actually.

But if you'd be suddenly placed in the past, whatever the cause may be, the future doesn't exist anymore so nothing happens.

-

What happened with the Dwemer when they disappeared from Vvardenfell? (I think there's actually purposely no definite answer to that^^)

How did Trebonius become archmage?
jkl3848
jkl3848
242 posts
Peasant

[quote]Who came first the chicken or the egg?
This question is stupid because egg and chicken is one individuum at different stages. And mutations occuring in between don't affect it's progeniture, so the egg that will give birth to a chicken was laid by a non-chicken. Therefore the egg, if anything.[/quote]
Well, technically, I think the chicken came first, then it laid the egg, starting the cycle again. It doesn't really matter, but I'm pretty sure it is the chicken.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Well, technically, I think the chicken came first, then it laid the egg, starting the cycle again. It doesn't really matter, but I'm pretty sure it is the chicken.

Yeah but the chicken necessarily hatched from a chicken egg (the egg IS the chicken, as much as the embryo is the human), while the chicken egg wasn't necessarily laid by a chicken (if you put a strict line between ancestor and chicken (which is stupid but anyway...)).
Therefore the egg.
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Ever know what happens to an egg that isn't being kept at a steady temperature? Let's just say that after a week it can float in water. I'm also going with the chicken that came first.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Ever know what happens to an egg that isn't being kept at a steady temperature? Let's just say that after a week it can float in water. I'm also going with the chicken that came first.

You're all assuming that if the egg was first, there's no brooding, which is wrong. The animal that laid the egg is brooding it, it simply isn't a chicken yet.
Of course the chicken embryo couldn't survive without brooding, but this assumes that either the chicken or the egg magically appeared on it's own, which is the reason for the popular (and artificial) "loop" arguments in the chicken/egg "debate". I don't know if the origin of this lies in creationist notions, but any way it doesn't make sense.

Therefore the egg.
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

what is the meaning of life?

are you dead?

are you sleeping?

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

are you dead?

are you sleeping?

You can answer both of those questions just by saying "no".
Showing 76-90 of 155