ForumsWEPRIs Obama a good president?

242 62432
AgileCaribou
AgileCaribou
10 posts
Nomad

What has he done to help/hurt this country? I want to start getting into politics and I think it would be best to first understand what our current president has done to our country so I can learn from the next one. Please help me with as much information as you can.

• 242 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

He pulled out the troops. Plus points.
Hunted down Osama. More plus points.
Helped to stabilize the economy and pull it back from entering a recession. Not the change he promised for, but he certainly prevented it from crashing further.
Indirectly helped the process of Gaddafi being overthrown.

jt25rox
jt25rox
332 posts
Peasant

The only reason Obama was president was because in 2008 you could run a monkey against a republican and the the monkey would win because we were tried of bush. I liked bush and hate Osama i mean Obama. No Obama care

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

The only reason Obama was president was because in 2008 you could run a monkey against a republican and the the monkey would win because we were tried of bush. I liked bush and hate Osama i mean Obama. No Obama care

I suppose the Republicans are worse than Bush than, since they didn't win.....Your logic is flawed. The ''only'' reason why Obama won was because he was more popular. That's as simple as it gets; because more people liked his message than what the GoP could offer.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

I suppose the Republicans are worse than Bush than, since they didn't win.....Your logic is flawed. The ''only'' reason why Obama won was because he was more popular. That's as simple as it gets; because more people liked his message than what the GoP could offer.

it also helped that he was running as the first black president, but not as much as many people think. it did secure him a good chunk of the black vote, just like how hilary secured a good chunk of the women vote, but if anything, I think we elected him for more than just those reasons, we also elected him because he promised he would pull the troops out of iraq (he fulfilled that promise, eventually) and afghanistan (he's getting to it soon). in hindsight, he did really well with what he had. he would've done better if that fool norquist didn't make that "no new tax" pledge, or if the tea party didn't come out of nowhere to cause even more trouble by electing those new representatives that are borderline insane.

all in all, I'd vote for him in the comming ballot because of the fact that the first term of every presidency today is focused on getting re-elected. it isn't until the 2nd term that any president can actually focus on doing what is necessary for the nation.

that's my view.

-Blade
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Well, then why not dissect it further? Even though black voter turnout was higher than normal, it was only 13%. Furthermore, McCain was leading in the number of veterans and senior citizens voting in the campaign, and they made up nearly 16% of the entirely electorate. Point being, demographics are sometimes midsleading. Nonetheless yes, Obama has drawn on a broad spectrum of supporters. Now back to the topic.....

ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

I think he is a good president, not the best ever but still vary good at what he does.

AgileCaribou
AgileCaribou
10 posts
Nomad

What do you mean by "helped to stabilize the economy"? How does one go about fixing the economy? Our economy is still in horrible shape.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

What do you mean by "helped to stabilize the economy"? How does one go about fixing the economy? Our economy is still in horrible shape.

actually, the DOW is above 13,000 right now. we haven't gotten above that since 2008 just after the collapse of lehman brothers. the economy is moving along, and it is only getting stronger.

-Blade
AgileCaribou
AgileCaribou
10 posts
Nomad

What is DOW? Also, why do people keep loosing jobs and people complain about a recession? I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm still new to this.

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

You talk abou the economy yet you know nothing about it, the DOW is I believe a big part I the stock market

AgileCaribou
AgileCaribou
10 posts
Nomad

Yes, I would like to know more about the economy. The easiest way to do this is to engage in conversations about the economy. But if DOW means the stock market, what does "the DOW is above 13,000 right now" mean?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

What has he done to help/hurt this country?

Here is a site detailing what he has done.
http://www.whathasobamadone.org/
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

What is DOW? Also, why do people keep loosing jobs and people complain about a recession? I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm still new to this.

The DOW is short for Dow Jones Industrial Average, which is essentially a stock market index, a measurement of America's largest public companies. It is commonly taken as a yardstick to measure the health of stocks, and indirectly the state of the economy. It is measured in ''oints''. 13,000 points is a high since the recession of 2008 which shows the current President has been doing things right. Don't expect magic solutions, the economy is a complex beast that can take decades to restructure properly, and might never be, given America's consumption habits. And it isn't a recession now, a recession is generally defined as two quarters of negative growth. The US economy is still growing, albeit at a low rate. Jobs are constantly being created, although such growth is slow.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Here is a site detailing what he has done.
http://www.whathasobamadone.org/

Very nice MageGrayWolf.
Now that he said he was pro gay marriage he will lose some voters but gain even more. Pretty good electoral strategy, I think.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Now that he said he was pro gay marriage he will lose some voters but gain even more. Pretty good electoral strategy, I think.

Yes, given that slightly more Americans are favourable towards gay marriages.
Showing 1-15 of 242