ForumsThe TavernChess

69 11090
Q_File
Q_File
108 posts
Nomad

Are there any other chess players here on AG? If so, how long have you been playing and how good would you say you are now?
Discuss everything chess-related. Even the little Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies if you like.

• 69 Replies
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I dabble in the field of chess every so often... I only enjoy playing against people I know, though! I can't stand playing it online, or even in a tournament against some stranger!

I also tend to stick to speed chess because I often don't have the patience to play against slow people... =P

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

i can play chess. i cant say how good i am since i didnt play many people. in here the only 2 people who play chess are people who learned it from me...

i wouldnt play it online either.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

I used to play chess when I was younger I was pretty good at it except I kind of got out of it. I'd say I'm ok now.

I've never seen Pepperidge Farm chessmen cookies?!?!?!?!?

Rakim
Rakim
143 posts
Treasurer

I don't play chess that often, but it can be fun if you can find someone about as good as yourself to play with. I know the very basics of chess, but I can't say I'm very good at it. I lose most of the times. I guess I'm not patient enough and I always make stupid moves.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I've been playing since I was seven or eight and I still play it often, but mostly against the AI on my computer. My father got me into playing it and even after all these years I've probably only beaten him at chess a total of fifteen-twenty times out of hundreds of games.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

killersup likes to play chess. he would not ask somone to play chess with him but if he were challenged then he would gladely exept.killersup got 2nd in his schools chess tornament though so it might not be a good idea

slipsoccer
slipsoccer
1,081 posts
Peasant

I suck at chess. Everytime I play it I always end up losing. I stick to checkers because it's easier lol.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I love chess, but I never have anyone to play against because the only people I see frequently aren't good at the game and they get too frustrated when I beat them because they're sore losers.

I did once try online chess, but I didn't like the pressure of playing with a timer.

victor520
victor520
39 posts
Peasant

I enjoy playing chess and I have played it for a few years and I am actually really good. I have done very well in state tournaments and I don't actually really like the cookies. Some of them are okay, but others aren't.

victor520
victor520
39 posts
Peasant

By the way Josh, Chess isn't just something that Nerds play. You are so ignorant, chess is one of the world's most popular games, played by millions of people worldwide at home, in clubs, online, by correspondence, and in tournaments. So you shouldn't be like that.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

I also tend to stick to speed chess because I often don't have the patience to play against slow people... =P

I prefer it when people are faster too. I don't really like it though when I am on a timer.

I am OK but not that great. I am in chess club but that is pretty much just playing for fun.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I did once try online chess, but I didn't like the pressure of playing with a timer.

Do you have Chess Titans installed on your computer? It came with mine and there isn't a timer.
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I prefer it when people are faster too. I don't really like it though when I am on a timer.

I only like being on a timer because the other person is generally too slow! And if I have too much time to think about my next move, I'll spend too much time anticipating the other player's move!
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

And if I have too much time to think about my next move, I'll spend too much time anticipating the other player's move!

That's how people usually win quickly.
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

I only like being on a timer because the other person is generally too slow!

I used to think that until I realized that I took just as long as my opponent to think of my next move :P

I am OK but not that great. I am in chess club but that is pretty much just playing for fun.

My school system stopped having a chess club after elementary school...
Showing 1-15 of 69