ForumsThe TavernChess

69 11091
Q_File
Q_File
108 posts
Nomad

Are there any other chess players here on AG? If so, how long have you been playing and how good would you say you are now?
Discuss everything chess-related. Even the little Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies if you like.

• 69 Replies
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

That's how people usually win quickly.

But I'll skim over the entire board and absorb every possibility... and then I'll get bored! xP

I used to think that until I realized that I took just as long as my opponent to think of my next move

I've played against people who take FOREVER to make one move... it almost never takes me even one minute to make a move, or else I'll start getting bored!
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I've played against people who take FOREVER to make one move...

One of my most frequent opponents takes about 10 minutes to make each move. Granted, it is pretty boring having to wait for him, but it gives me time to think moves in advance about how to keep him from causing any real damage.
Xavierthe9
Xavierthe9
155 posts
Farmer

i like chess, i know all of the rules, and it is very fun. problem is, i dont play it often, and im not that good...

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

but it gives me time to think moves in advance about how to keep him from causing any real damage.

If only I had the patience to do that... instead, I only think about one or two moves in advance and then I get restless!
CheapCheep
CheapCheep
240 posts
Nomad

I play chess every once in a while. I mean, whenever someone would play chess with me. (Forever alone face)
I've been playing for...5 years maybe? Still not very good, but i'm o.k...>_<

bj22910
bj22910
33 posts
Nomad

I've been playing chess for about 2-3 years. I'm pretty good but not good enough to take on whoever I want.

Volltagge
Volltagge
26 posts
Nomad

Playing chess whenever i can (someone wants to play with me), since i learned it (like when i was 9-10 years old).I'm not that good but i'd say i'm ok. Dont mind playing online, but face to face is the real thing, dont know why but i play better FtF than online.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

dont know why but i play better FtF than online.

You're not the only one... I think there are a lot of people who find chess difficult if they can't see their opponent! I've never been able to play against someone I can't see!
Q_File
Q_File
108 posts
Nomad

I've never seen Pepperidge Farm chessmen cookies?!?!?!?!?

Look for them next time you're in the cookie section in the grocery store.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415TRZPGMZL.jpg

If they aren't the official snack of chess, they should be.
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Chessmen are delicious! You're right, chess would not be the same without them!

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I've played against people who are so slow, you could eat an entire box of Chessmen at a comfortable pace before they made each move.

If you play better on a full stomach, this stupid technique I just made up might work for you.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I think there are a lot of people who find chess difficult if they can't see their opponent!

Seeing their facial expressions can make it easier. Same with poker.
DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd

I like to play but I'm not that good. Thinking ahead isn't one of my strong points, as clever as I am.

Volltagge
Volltagge
26 posts
Nomad

Seeing their facial expressions can make it easier. Same with poker.

True but sometimes it goes the other way, if you are losing at some moment and you are not confident enough you begin to make stupid mistakes.
ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

I have been playing chess for... about 6-7 years. I play it whenever someone will play me, which is not a common thing. I guess I am pretty good, I have 2 trophies from a chess thing I did and one is the champion one, though that was when I was younger so I guess I am slightly above average.

Showing 16-30 of 69