ForumsWEPRshark finning=bad thing

79 19037
ialwayswin
ialwayswin
777 posts
Jester

Shark finning is now allowed almost anywhere in the world,and I know what everyone is thinking..so what. Sharks actually help with our eco system by eating small plankton,people think sharks are mass murderers but really only have killed 5 people a year,elephants kill more than sharks do! lol I have a feeling no1 whould ever hear this but,save the sharks!

• 79 Replies
GreenBlen
GreenBlen
6 posts
Nomad

Yes I know Shark finning is killing sharks every year at an alarming rate! It is estimated that 100 to 200 million sharks annually are killed for their fins alone. This practice is mainly for supplying shark fins for the so-called delicacy known as shark fin soup. Photos like the one at right are not uncommon. Like the beautiful hammerhead shark in the picture, sharks by the millions are being caught, having their fins cut off, and are then thrown back into the sea.

INFO FROM http://www.sharkfriends.com/sharks/sharkfinning.html

For people who do not know what shark finning is... Sharks that are caught and their fins cut off are not always dead when their bodies are thrown back into the sea. Without its fins the shark simply sinks to the bottom of the ocean where it dies. Such a horrible death for such a magnificent creature! How aweful it must be for these animals... to think that when their body hits the water again that they will be safe, only to realize that they can no longer swim, and end up dying in an ocean, which was just moments earlier their safe haven, and is now their doom.

Xanatu
Xanatu
139 posts
Nomad

But...but....shark fin soup is soooooooo good!!

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

love sharks. i think theyre adorable. techincally they don't have a killer instinct against humans, so i dont get why people feel the need to destroy then. Theyre beautiful animals and killing them simply for their fins is a disgrace.

what you talking about Xanatu?

Xanatu
Xanatu
139 posts
Nomad

Why do you think sharks are finned?Just for the fun of it?Noooo.The fins are made into DELICIOUS shark fin soup.

DivineDarkness
DivineDarkness
1,226 posts
Nomad

Where do you live Xanatu? Hawaii? Fiji? Because I have honestly never heard of, "Shark Fin Soup"

Only 5 deaths in the whole world but alot of attacks, infact according to http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/education/questions/Attack.html 50-70 shark attacks happen each year! So why do people cut off shark's fins? Because they feel like it? Sharks are awesome predators that people take for granite, they actually help our eco system of water because then when we swim, we would swim into alot more fish crap! And I don't know about you, but I would like to swim in the least amount of fish crap Thanks.

RathRaid
RathRaid
129 posts
Nomad

Shark Fin Soup is a very good dish in alot of asain countries, and other exotic places. However, shark finning is a bad thing, for the most part. They are a important part of this ecosystem. Who knows what will happen if sharks became extict...would the fish population grow so much humans can't eat enough fish?

However, sharks do attack alot during the "attack season". Therefore, i believe that shark finning should remain legal, but to an extent.

DivineDarkness
DivineDarkness
1,226 posts
Nomad

Well, I just remembered this thing I watched on T.V. This circus dolphin thing got an infection on its tail, so they cut it off, and it was gaining weight fast because it couldn't swim, so they made a make-shift fin for it, it actually goes 5-15 Mph faster than a regular dolphin, and it helps it jump higher, so if they do continue to fin sharks, they should atleast, put some artificial fins on it.

RathRaid
RathRaid
129 posts
Nomad

They have artificial fins now? Odd...

Well, they can't possibly produce and fit fins on every single shark in the ocean, so i still think that it should be held to an extent.

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,612 posts
Jester

Hippos also kill more than Sharks and Lions a year.And yea I sort of agree.

DivineDarkness
DivineDarkness
1,226 posts
Nomad

Why don't they just take the whole shark into custody if they are just going to leave it there to die? They could feed it through a tube? Or atleast find some other part of its body that is edible so that their whole body doesn't go to waste.

RathRaid
RathRaid
129 posts
Nomad

I think they only take 1 fin off, and release it back into the ocean. I've heard that shark fins grow back, but not constantly. That is why so many sharks die, but is also legal.

GreenBlen
GreenBlen
6 posts
Nomad

RathRiad, once a sharks tail is cut off, then it sinks down to the bottom of the ocean. And sharks fins do not grow back, you are probably thinking about the lizards, their tail grows back.

Everybody, just because you think the soup is good, doesn't mean that you can kill a shark for your own plessure. Think about what you are doing to the poor creature and then tell me what you think.

ialwayswin
ialwayswin
777 posts
Jester

yeah shark fin soup is the main reason,but some people belive it has like,healing abilities?

Xanatu
Xanatu
139 posts
Nomad

Greenblen,I was being joking around.Shark fin soup actually doesn't taste that good =/

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Shark finning is an absolutely disgusting practice for a few reasons:

+ They do not discriminate between species of sharks, and will fin sharks that are rare or endangered the same as they will fin sharks that are common.

+ The way that the fin is incredibly inhumane. What the do, is they take the shark, and then cut off all of its fins. Then, without using any other part of the body, they throw the shark back into the water to die a slow and painful death. So not only are they being wasteful by only using the few extremities of the shark, but they also do not kill then in order to end the suffering that they inflict. When a sharks fins are removed, it cannot swim or defend itself.

They have found finning boats containing the fins of a Whale Shark. Whale sharks don't even reach sexual maturity until they are around 30 years old. Killing these animals is only going to hurt their populations.

If you want to eat your shark fin soup, fine. But don't kill endangered species and brutally torture them in an attempt for a nice appetizer. That is just sickening.

Which brings me to ANOTHER point. It bothers me so much that people are so ignorant about what they are eating when it comes to the ocean. So many species of fish (including sharks) are being wiped out so that they can end up on our dinner plates. This is so simple to prevent, if people only asked where their meal was coming from. Monterey Bay Aquarium makes a Seafood Watch Card. It folds up into a little card which can fit in your wallet and purse, so that when you are buying fish at the grocery store or ordering in a restaurant, you can bring it out and consult it. It tells you what seafood is good to eat, good alternatives, and those which you should avoid. The ones in the red column (AVOID) are in there because they are either over fished, contain high levels or mercury, or are caught in a non-sustainable or environmentally damaging way (trawling, long lining, etc). This is so easy to use, and there is no excuse why anyone should be easting over fished seafood when it is so easy to avoid it. Personally, I always have one in my purse, and never allow myself to order anything that falls under the red column. If that means going without seafood for the meal, then so be it. I will enjoy something else. I even pissed off my mom once because I wouldn't eat the fish she had cooked for dinner... lol. But hey, it takes small steps which add up to help save our oceans.

http://www.kqed.org/quest/files/blog_seafood300.jpg

Showing 1-15 of 79