ForumsForum GamesHow FishPreferred Are You?

284 82499
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Mark your calendars! Clear your schedules! Defragment your hard drives and install those updates!

It is time for How FishPreferred Are You?

As you may know, Gantic will not be available to do his usual schtick this year, thus it falls to me to continue this weird tradition of quantifying your similitude to some vague standard through a series of convoluted and seemingly arbitrary tests.

Sign-up is open until 10 spots are filled, or until September 9, whichever is sooner. You may wager any number of Gantic Points you like, but they will be disregarded because Gantic Points have no relevance to this game.

ROSTER:
1ʭ Hardstrike
1ʭ MattEmAngel
1ʭ Yellowcat
1ʭ hafaroman
1ʭ Coral42
1ʭ Boofuss
1ʭ Moegreche
1ʭ PLGuy
1ʭ Swarmlord2*

*Additional entry, because Hey, why not?

• 284 Replies
Hardstrike
Hardstrike
543 posts
King

Thank you for the help Matt, but I was trying to make my point there.
Also I saw the shark's lines after looking at the static for like 1 minute, Fish. Unlike looking at them encryptions..

Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

I think that I understand encryption 4. At least partially

Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

I have worked out most of 4, but not that which is necessary. I can't see any kind of pattern in the bits I have worked out in order to help with the rest.

Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

Well, I might as well say what I have. It seems to start 'hi how do you do' followed by 'fine and you'. This may just be there to help work out the system, but I don't know. The end seems to say 'use if not'. The middle is what is confusing me the most. It looks like 'post in if name'? The rest, I don't know. Richard could only really break down into char, which would be odd, or Ichar, which could only refer to Ichar IV, a planet in Warhammer 40k where the swarmlord fought and lost against ultramarine chapter master Marneus Calgar. The presence of Roman numerals afterwards could also refer to this, but it is most likely just a big coincidence. I also was thinking that reducing VIII to I or II could allow it to be used as the words 'one', 'two', 'to' or 'too'. That is all I have. I am also unsure about 3 letter words.

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

My answer for 4th riddle:
sun >
I'll just mention that > and < are the sides of that dialog. You have it all almost figured out as me Swarmlord, but anyway that might be just part of the riddle. I don't know what to do with thrown out letters (if anything) and that instruction is not too clear for me :-/

Edit: about encryption 2. That encryption is folding for me on something related to Ocean ships and sail and that doesn't sound too sane... I mix the letters in sentences and I don't see any dependence yet

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

I'll give @Moegreche a reminder. Submissions are due tomorrow.

I spent two hours a day twice this week trying to understand 4. I literally don't have enough time to closely analyze this again. If you can't give me some kind of hint, I'm not going to be able to solve it.
You could always skip that one.

The rest, I don't know. Richard could only really break down into char, which would be odd, or Ichar, which could only refer to Ichar IV [...]
What if it's referring to Ichar I, II, or III?
(it isn't, but still)
PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

For my defence - I was looking at encryption 2 for about 2 minutes before I posted here xD

@FishPreferred By tomorrow? Did you mean a certain hour? It's already the tomorrow here xD (1 a.m.) Can we have time to the noon?

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

So I'll just sum up my answers so far. These are the final answers.
4) sun >
5) =*\*]"

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

It'll most likely be around noon (site time), but I make no promises as to exactly when.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

So how is that possible?
I'm reasonably certain that most of 3 is totally incompatible with existing software. Suffice to say, it's like that for a reason.

Also, is 07 significant?
Significant to what?
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Significant to whatever I'm supposed to post...
Not to my knowledge.
Hardstrike
Hardstrike
543 posts
King

Those are my answers

So I'll just sum up my answers so far. These are the final answers.
4) sun >
5) =*\*]"
PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

I think that's it... Can't think of anything more about encryptions 1 and 3. 1 shouldn't be hard but I can't find the code. I assume that this instruction will involve writing something via chat.
In 3rd encryption I see that in the last bracket there should be 14 instead of -- and that's a date or an hour. Most certainly a date though, but without any significance. At least without dealing with the rest of the code... Instead of ._. I should put PLGuy - but that doesn't change anything.

Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

I don't know if it is relevant, but 7x/y=14

Edit: just realised that the post above already has 14 for the same reason, I would assume. Sorry.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

ROUND 4 ANSWERS:

Second letters: Assemble a sentence from the second letter in each word. This is exactly the same system used in the thread "Secret Communications of the Mods".
tWo tHings hAppen aT eMbarassingly bOring iNtervals: 1 sTraw tHatched oDorous dIners aDdled bY lOst bUsiness. 2 AJax cOvering tIles eNdlessly.

Second letters 2: Electric Boogaloo: Remove the even letters from every word; underlined groups count as one.
U-s-e d-i-s-qu-s- t-o- s-a-y h-i-.

Morse Punctuation: Assemble a sentence from the dots and horizontal lines. This one was definitely a challenge. I considered a few ways of hinting at the method, and settled on just ending a sentence in the previous message with " stop " as the least obvious way of suggesting morse code.
:: ≡ .=
how
= .- -. -.=
many
-._. .... ._ ÷ ._ _._? _ . ._. :.
characters
i. -.
in
-.= =- ii- ÷
your
.?- ∴ . ._! -. ._ = ? :--:
username?

Middles only: Remove the first and last letter of each word, plus one if there's an r.
< Riposte lint to eBb life renamed Richard VIII list mAy hands tIe in to lift mOd.
< Fused a sUn drift in Renoth.

Arbitrary character replacement:
<Q!>Q n+*= =/]2 !+ +!"n/"*~ "<$ 9z/>*+ /j$#* ;$n= $<]
which user rank is situated two places above your own
Q/=~+"=!2* >/] 7n+" +/; ]$]*
hardstrike can just say none

Hardstrike_______0 Aug___0 hi___0 10___0 B___0 None
MattEmAngel____0 Jul____1 hi___0 11___0 B___1 Constable
Yellowcat________0 Jun___0 hi___0 9 ___0 U___0 Treasurer
Moegreche______0 Feb___0 hi___0 9 ___0 I____0 Grand Duke
PLGuy_________0 Aug___1 hi___0 5 ___1 U___1 Regent
Swarmlord2_____0 Feb___1 hi___0 10___0 U___0 Marquis

ROUND 3 SCORE:
1ʭ, 50p Hardstrike
1ʭ,120p MattEmAngel +10+20ʭ
1ʭ, 70p PLGuy +10+20+20ʭ
1ʭ, 50p Swarmlord2 +10

Yellowcat and Moegreche are eliminated for non-participation.

Showing 196-210 of 284